Bush's secret plan.

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 04:23 pm
The following is a non-paid political opinion presented by meself.
I have read numerous Iraq/Vietnam comparrisons which led me to think of three persons in particular, George Orwell, Richard Nixon and George Bush. I have come to the conclusion that George does have a secret plan for Iraq which is in essense the same plan that Nixon had. He will be re-elected, continue the assualt on Iraq for another 18 months or so and the light will go on that he is fighting a losing battle. At that point he will send Powell to Paris and re-enact the Nixon peace table, citing "peace with honor." mantra (that's where the Orwell comes in) and then he will repeat Nixon's statement about turning the future of Iraq over to the Iraqi people and bugging out. Thus George can go down in history as the War President who saved us from terrorism as well as the Peace president who brought us Peace with honor.

President Richard Nixon:
Quote:
Throughout the years of negotiations, we have insisted on peace with honor. In my addresses to the Nation from this room of January 25 and May 8, [1972] I set forth the goals that we considered essential for peace with honor.
In the settlement that has now been agreed to, all the conditions that I laid down then have been met. A cease-fire, internationally supervised, will begin at 7 p.m., this Saturday, January 27, Washington time. Within 60 days from this Saturday, all Americans held prisoners of war throughout Indochina will be released. There will be the fullest possible accounting for all of those who are missing in action.
During the same 60-day period, all American forces will be withdrawn from South Vietnam.
The people of South Vietnam have been guaranteed the right to determine their own future, without outside interference
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,264 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 04:28 pm
Unfortunately, as I have mentioned in several threads now, Dys, when the time comes to do the equivalent of Nixon's evacuation of Saigon...when the time comes for American troops to do the evacuation of Iraq....

...my guess it will make the former look like a cake walk.

This moron has gotten us into a mess of monumental proportions.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 04:29 pm
BBB
Wah! The game is over! It's my ball and I'm taking it home!

BBB
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 04:33 pm
Re: Bush's secret plan.
dyslexia wrote:
The following is a non-paid political opinion presented by meself.
I have read numerous Iraq/Vietnam comparrisons which led me to think of three persons in particular, George Orwell, Richard Nixon and George Bush. I have come to the conclusion that George does have a secret plan for Iraq which is in essense the same plan that Nixon had. He will be re-elected, continue the assualt on Iraq for another 18 months or so and the light will go on that he is fighting a losing battle. At that point he will send Powell to Paris and re-enact the Nixon peace table, citing "peace with honor." mantra (that's where the Orwell comes in) and then he will repeat Nixon's statement about turning the future of Iraq over to the Iraqi people and bugging out. Thus George can go down in history as the War President who saved us from terrorism as well as the Peace president who brought us Peace with honor.

President Richard Nixon:
Quote:
Throughout the years of negotiations, we have insisted on peace with honor. In my addresses to the Nation from this room of January 25 and May 8, [1972] I set forth the goals that we considered essential for peace with honor.
In the settlement that has now been agreed to, all the conditions that I laid down then have been met. A cease-fire, internationally supervised, will begin at 7 p.m., this Saturday, January 27, Washington time. Within 60 days from this Saturday, all Americans held prisoners of war throughout Indochina will be released. There will be the fullest possible accounting for all of those who are missing in action.
During the same 60-day period, all American forces will be withdrawn from South Vietnam.
The people of South Vietnam have been guaranteed the right to determine their own future, without outside interference

Nope, I'm pretty sure Dubya is planning on continued interference... it's part of a plan for world dominance...

Just my $0.02 worth for today... PP
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 04:37 pm
I don't think it's as simple as that, Dys. For one thing, Vietnam had no oil reserves. For another, Nixon didn't start the fracas in Vietnam, he just inherited it. It's a lot harder for Bush to get out of a war he started for no apparent reason than it was for Tricky Dick.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 04:40 pm
If he sends Powell to Paris, who will Powell negotiate with? There is more then one faction in the Iraqi resistance and they are each others throats as well as ours.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 04:45 pm
Merry Andrew
Vietnam was known to have substantial oil prior to the war:

Since reunification, the Communist government has sought to increase exploitation of Vietnam's natural mineral resources but has had only modest success so far. Extraction of oil deposits in the South China Sea began in the mid-1980s. In the mid-1990s oil production was sufficient to meet domestic needs, while also providing an important source of export earnings.

Pioneer refinery to prompt oil export decline:

Oil export revenue is expected to drop by 40% within the next five years as the nation's first oil refinery comes into operation.

A recent assessment of export potential by the ITC, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Swiss government ranked crude oil trade as only a medium-level priority despite the fact that it is currently by far the country's most important export product in terms of gross revenue.

Crude oil exports generated nearly US$3.5 billion last year, or a quarter of Vietnam's total export earnings.

The country's production of oil is set to continue to increase, reaching around 20 million tonnes per annum by 2005 and raising export volume by approximately 30%.

Crude oil would maintain its lead position as Vietnam's principle export until 2005, when the Dung Quat refinery began production.

Oil exports would then begin to decline as product is directed to the refinery to be processed into fuel for the domestic market.

"Primary products, mainly oil and coal, which today account for a quarter of Vietnam's total export are likely to account for only three percent by the year 2010," the report estimated.

However, Le Minh Duc, an expert of the Institute for Industrial Policy and the Ministry of Industry, said that the drop in export value did not imply less benefit for Vietnam as the country would obviously save the huge sums of foreign currency, which were being spent on imported petroleum.

"When the second refinery comes into operation, processed oil and mineral products will themselves become potential export commodities for the country," Duc added.

While the 6.5 million tonne annual output of the Dung Quat refinery is to be primarily directed at the domestic fuel market, the nation's second refinery (estimated to be operational by the year 2010) will also supply exportable petrochemicals. Total capital investment of these two refineries has been set at around US$3.5 billion.

These two refineries would kick-start an infant petrochemical industry, said the report.

Vietnam is presently highly dependent on imported petrochemical products with petrol alone accounting for over US$1 billion in imports.

The crude oil price is expected to decline in the next few years after hitting nearly US$30 per barrel at the end of 2000.

Experts have predicted a slow decline of the industry in the long-term as the environmental concerns force a gradual shift to other sources of energy.

Vietnam is a small exporter on the world oil market, currently supplying about 0.6% of global demand. The government expects that at the opening of the Dung Quat refinery in 2005 exports of surplus crude oil will stand at 12 million tonnes. Its export strategy for 2001 to 2010 anticipates a decline in this figure in the latter part of the decade as further processing facilities come on line.

BBB
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 04:47 pm
Acquiunk, actually it doesn't matter who he negotiates with cause it's all a sham anyway (just like "bring democracy/freedom to Iraq". He might very well negotiate with the then current CEO of MacDonalds franchise for Iraq. Of course there will be a big todo aboaut the size and shape of the table in Paris.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 05:13 pm
I keep reading that some permanent military bases are being built there. I wouldn't think a man planning to bug out would do that.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 05:17 pm
Edgar
Edgar, one of the main hidden reasons for invading Iraq was to build several US bases there because we had to leave Saudi Arabia and because of increasing Iran hostility.

BBB
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 05:32 pm
dyslexia wrote:
actually it doesn't matter who he negotiates with cause it's all a sham anyway

If that's the case I vote we negotiate with Ahmed Chalabi, he already is a sham.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 05:34 pm
exactly.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 05:46 pm
Didja ever read this?
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/pdf/RebuildingAmericasDefenses.pdf, written by the neo-conservative think-tank Project for the New American Century (PNAC).

The plan shows Bush's cabinet intended to take military control of the Gulf region. It says: 'The United States has for decades sought to play a more permanent role in Gulf regional security. While the unresolved conflict with Iraq provides the immediate justification, the need for a substantial American force presence in the Gulf transcends the issue of the regime of Saddam Hussein.' The document supports, 'maintaining global US pre-eminence, precluding the rise of a great power rival, and shaping the international security order in line with American principles and interests'.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 05:54 pm
That link don't work, but I believe Bush would have us sitting atop an arsenal in the mid east from now on.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 06:27 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
That link don't work, but I believe Bush would have us sitting atop an arsenal in the mid east from now on.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article1221.htm

Here, the link to the document is within the article.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 10:06 pm
Thanks.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 03:14 am
Thanks for setting me straight on 'Nam's oil reserves, BBB. But my point still stands: Vietnam wasn't about oil; the Middle East is.
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 05:53 am
See Victor Davis Hansons editorial at National Review Online and weep you appeasement/withdrawl fans. We are not about to relent or cut and run. You self-appointed geniuses are full of beans and MacDonalds franchises. You simply just don't get it...on purpose.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 08:06 am
We don't get criminal presidents wasting our soldiers' lives and nation's resources.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 08:37 am
What is it that we're supposed to get, Chuckster? That might makes right? That if you're not American, you have no rights? That what's good for Haliburton is good for America? That the Bill of Rights is a quaint document from a bygone era which can be done away with at executive will and replaced by a bogus bureaucracy called 'Homeland Security'?

I get all that. I just don't like it and intend to keep on fighting it.
0 Replies