Would Mexico fight?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 11:46 am
Fbaezer,

I gotta tell you, as a guy living in Texas, there is still quite a bit of Anti-Mexico sentiment rolling around.

Part of the problem lies in the 'political correctness' arena. For example, back in my college days at the University of Texas, we had a huge Cinco de Mayo celebration every year. But, we weren't allowed to have a Texas Independence Day celebration at all, because it was offensive to the Latino people.

It's that sort of thing that sticks in our craw here...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 12:26 pm
Are you joking Cyc?

On Cinco de Mayo; 4,000 Mexican soldiers defeated a French and English army twice that size despite having relatively primative weaponry compared to their enemy. At the time we were deep in civil war and had the Mexican soldiers not defeated the French, they would likely have supplied the Confederate Army with much needed supplies... delaying and possibly altering the outcome of our own civil war.

Cinco de Mayo most certainly should be celebrated in this country... and you are comparing it to a simple land grab? I think you might want to read a bit more about your own state's history before allowing things to get stuck in your craw. Not unlike these United States; the more you learn, the less self-righteous you are likely to feel. Idea

(Set, Dys, somebody want to clarify this further?)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 12:35 pm
Ps.
"Podrás imaginarte desde afuera,
ser un Mexicano cruzando la frontera,
pensando en tu familia mientras que pasas,
dejando todo lo que conoces atrás.

Si tuvieras tú que esquivar las balas
de unos cuantos gringos rancheros
Las seguirás diciendo good for nothing wetback?
si tuvieras tú que empezar de cero.

Now why don't you look down
to where your feet is planted
That U.S. soil that makes you take **** for granted
If not for Santa Ana, just to let you know
That where your feet are planted would be Mexico
Correcto!" :wink:
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 12:46 pm
My point, Bill, is that the history doesn't matter. The reality is that the state of Texas is a great place. We should be able to celebrate the day of our independence, whether you agree with the morality behind the formation of the state or not.

It would be like claiming that we shouldn't celebrate July 4th, because after all, that was a simple land grab from GB and the American Indians, right? It would be offensive to those Indians, after all, we did DESTROY their people and steal all their land.

Stupid political correctness. Texas was owned by what, 4 different countries, before we got sick of it and went independent, and then ended up joining the U.S. What you charcterize as a 'simple land grab' means a lot more to those of us who live here, and by god we should be able to celebrate it without being made to feel bad.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 12:53 pm
don't call me beaner you effin gringo...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 02:21 pm
Cycloptichorn:

You should have a right to celebrate the independence of Texas. I find it stupid that you were not allowed to. Yet...

We Mexicans have the right to be offended by it.
In our point of view, it was a secession conceived by the Anglo ranchers and Southern slaveowners.
I'd certainly feel offended. It's not like the 4th of July.

(And yes, I know we deserved it: Texas, and most of the other parts lost in the war against the US, were lost primarily because lack of interest from the Mexican politicians of the times)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 02:52 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
My point, Bill, is that the history doesn't matter. The reality is that the state of Texas is a great place. We should be able to celebrate the day of our independence, whether you agree with the morality behind the formation of the state or not.
What are you talking about Cyc? Laughing Texas was independent for what, a decade? A hundred and fifty years ago? Do you really think Mexico would have left it alone, for even that long, if it was just "Texans" to deal with? Laughing What did they teach you there?

Cycloptichorn wrote:
It would be like claiming that we shouldn't celebrate July 4th, because after all, that was a simple land grab from GB and the American Indians, right? It would be offensive to those Indians, after all, we did DESTROY their people and steal all their land.
Smile The fourth of July had nothing to do with stealing land from Indians, Cyc. That crime had already taken place on the land in question. We celebrate the 4th of July because on that day we ended the tyrannical, unjust rule of the British in order to form a nation where the citizens were guaranteed the right to the pursuit of happiness... And pursue it we have... while becoming the richest country on planet earth. The nation is far from perfect but you're pride is more misplaced than most if you think the independence of Texas is on par with that of the United States. When choosing historic dates to celebrate, Cycloptichorn, history does matter. Idea

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Stupid political correctness. Texas was owned by what, 4 different countries, before we got sick of it and went independent, and then ended up joining the U.S. What you charcterize as a 'simple land grab' means a lot more to those of us who live here, and by god we should be able to celebrate it without being made to feel bad.

Cycloptichorn
Shocked Laughing Feel any old way you wish... but don't expect anyone else to support your misguided sense of pride, for the 10 years your state spent in transition... please. What you define as "Stupid political correctness", and defend with idiotic statements like "History doesn't matter" are actually common sense decisions to try not to perpetuate the idiotic bigotry that plagues the border. I suspect you may have gotten carried away and typed with more fervor than you actually feel. Or perhaps you are unclear of the details of the history you dismiss. Seriously, dude, you're not making much sense.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 04:25 pm
Quote:

I would celebrate independence of Texas. That way George Bush would be president of Texas instead of screwing up my whole country.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 04:35 pm
Cute Ebrown... but wasn't he born in your neck of the woods? I don't think he would have moved to Texas.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:51 pm
California is a province of Mexico that has a significant number of votes in the electoral college. Why fight for land you have already conquered?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 08:15 am
Re: Would Mexico fight?
suka75038 wrote:
Question for Mexicans only.

If for some reason United States decided to take over Mexico, how many Mexicans would actually pick a gun and fight them?

I am asking this because so many of them want to run away into United States anyway. Also, let's not debate whether United States would actually do that, that is a separate discussion.

Best thing which could possibly happen to the average Mexican would be for the United States to annex Mexico and place it under American law. You'd have to start by executing every politician, every police official, every military official above the rank of corporal... there isn't really any corruption in the US compared to Mexico.

The thing which prevented that happening in the 1800s was the slavery issue in the US and the reluctance of American leaders to want to swallow a country that big with a noble/serf model of society.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 09:12 am
Hilarious last paragraph as we had the same society at the time. Is this a prevalent view in American History books or something you cooked up?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 09:24 am
gungasnake wrote:
The thing which prevented that happening in the 1800s was the slavery issue in the US and the reluctance of American leaders to want to swallow a country that big with a noble/serf model of society.

Yes, this was an issue in the 1840/50's. It was one of the underlying issues leading up to The American Civil War. There was a good deal of resentment in the Northern States to the social model exemplified by the southern "planter class" and that stereotype generalized in many minds to Mexico. That plus the fact that Mexico was overwhelmingly Roman Catholic made the entire Mexican enterprise anathema to many, especially in New England.

As for gungasnake's opinion on Mexican annexation, it speaks for it's self.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 09:44 am
gungasnake wrote:
You'd have to start by executing every politician, every police official, every military official above the rank of corporal...

And after the genocide, we'd embrace you as liberators Laughing Laughing Laughing .

That's the funniest thing ever written on A2K.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:16 am
We'll start on that as soon as project Iraq is finished
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:16 am
fbaezer wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
You'd have to start by executing every politician, every police official, every military official above the rank of corporal...

And after the genocide, we'd embrace you as liberators Laughing Laughing Laughing .

You might not, but the typical Mexican would.

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
0 Replies