Religion Is For The Weak And Ignorant Masses

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 11:02 am
cavfancier wrote:
What part of the 10 commandments is immoral...I'd have to say 'Do not covet thy neighbour's wife'. When I was in the bloom of adolescence, there lived next to me a total MILF. I coveted her, but did not act. It was the normal function of a growing boy, and I should not be punished for that. It is a sin to kill children under the age of 18.

Sherri Hoffstettlers mom....man I'm doomed because of her I guess and I was only 13.....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 11:07 am
BPB, whatever the commandments say, the law still thinks it's illegal to kill children for murder, so I'm guessing MILF fantasies are way down the list. Laughing
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 12:02 pm
Frank Apsia wrote:
Quote:
My opinion of the god of the Bible is that the god is a murderous, barbaric god. I suspect that is because the men who (apparently) invented the god needed a murderous, barbaric god to protect themselves from the murderous, barbaric gods of their enemies.

Okay, with the above and the cartoon thing, could you give me some concrete examples of what it is that you object to; find fault with; find barbarous or murderous; find cartoonish; etcetera. in the first five books of the Bible or simply the ones that you mention - Deut. and Leviticus
I only ask because I find NONE of it murderous or cartoonish and therefore I have too much data to argue about.
Give me an example and, for the sake of my own learning, I will attempt to explain using what I considered reliable references.
0 Replies

Voltoza

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 12:25 pm
Quote:
If this is indeed so, how would you explain the anomalies? Just a sport? A randomly occuring "thing" that proves the idea of randomness? I would suggest that you investigate the scientific probabilities of Life "accidentally" occurring in our Universe. It is statistically impossible. I would suggest an investigation of the origins of our Universe itself. This is another anomaly.

Perhaps you meant antinomy instead of anomaly. The irregularities of the universe are not the hard things to understand, but the contradictions of two valid principles. "Has that chain of causes which science studies, a beginning, a First Cause? Yes, for an endless chain is inconceivable; no, for a first cause uncaused is inconceivable as well." -can't remember. I have also read that the chances of life NOT occurring somewhere in the universe are almost 0. When you look at how large and old it is, it is easy to comprehend that. Whichever way it is, whether life was created or it just happened, it doesn't matter.

Quote:
Let us ask, what is the evidence? You would probably accept evidence that the sun will "rise" tomorrow by virtue of the fact that it has always done so as long as man has recorded such things.
Likewise, you may accept other more intangible ideas regarding our universe such as black holes or global warming or that mother's "love" their children or that Bill Clinton is indeed capable of charming the pants off of many females. All of these require a certain amount of "faith" based on your definition. But let us grant you the world of the senses - If you can see it, hear it, touch it, smell it, feel it, then it exists within a minimum amount of stretching your "faith."

The most reliable of evidence is obviously that which you have from the senses. By my definition of faith, it is not needed then. I "think" the sun will rise tomorrow, because i have evidence that it will, not because of faith. I don't know for sure if it will or not; it is in the future. This does not make me scared of tomorrow though. As far as accepting intangible ideas, they should only be accepted as far as you can validate them. Perhaps there are black holes, maybe not, but this does not require my faith and it really doesn't matter.

Quote:
What moral values are not based on religious values? The ethical code of the "greatest good for the greatest number" is a very new ethic which is practiced in very few places. It is only practiced based on religion and only practiced at that based on the total saturation of religion in whatever society attempts to practice this ethic.
The American society is totally based on Jewish and Christian religious ethics. Which is indeed why it works so well....

Right and wrong are relative. They only have meaning in society. Morals help people live in society together without hurting each other. They are intended to provide freedom and security. Morals are all based on the best way to live in society. Religions use societies' values to their own ends, not the other way around. The society comes first and then the religion. The U.S. Constitution is definitely not BASED on religious values. The constitution upholds freedom and private property(its securities and limitations). The idea that every person's life is special and should be protected is NOT religious, but very common sense. "I do not want to be killed, so I probably shouldn't kill you, if we want to be able to live together."

People do NOT need faith, they need HOPE. Hope is what I think many people confuse with faith though. Hope is the idea of thinking of something pleasing, with or without evidence of it's validity, and then longing for it. The thought, no matter how little evidence there is to support it, and the longing often become so clear and strong that they are then called intuition. This intuition is then used as the basis for "faith." Why can't we do away with faith and finally turn to something useful, like hope?

Even in our great society, people vote based on religion instead of morals pertinent to our society today. For instance, Christians will vote to limit the rights of gays, based entirely on the Bible. Do gays really harm society? Do they injure people? Is there any real need to limit their rights? No, but Christians don't look at the real issue, they look to the Bible or to their Pope for the answers. This is the way of thinking that I have a problem with. This is why religion is detrimental to society. This is why faith, and the way of thinking associated with it, are detrimental to society.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 12:42 pm
Moishe3rd wrote:
Okay, with the above and the cartoon thing, could you give me some concrete examples of what it is that you object to; find fault with; find barbarous or murderous; find cartoonish; etcetera. in the first five books of the Bible or simply the ones that you mention - Deut. and Leviticus
I only ask because I find NONE of it murderous or cartoonish and therefore I have too much data to argue about.
Give me an example and, for the sake of my own learning, I will attempt to explain using what I considered reliable references.

Sure thing, Moishe.

Before I do, though, I want to make something clear that I have mentioned in almost every thread in which I discussed this matter...and that is...

...I understand and respect the reasons (I think) the writers of that material wrote what they did. (More about that if needed.)

Some examples:

Leviticus 25:44ff

"Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess, provided you BUY them from among the neighboring nations. You may also BUY them from among the aliens who reside with you and from their children who are born and reared in your land. Such slaves YOU MAY OWN AS CHATTELS, and leave to your sons as their hereditary property, MAKING THEM PERPETUAL SLAVES. But you shall not lord it harshly over any of the Israelites, your kinsmen."

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them shall be
put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their
lives." Leviticus 20:13

"If a man has a stubborn and unruly son who will not listen to
his father or mother, and will not obey them even though they
chastise him, his father and mother shall have him apprehended
and brought out to the elders at the gate of his home city, where
...his fellow citizens shall stone him to death." Deuteronomy 22:18ff

"When you march up to attack a city, first offer terms of peace.
If it agrees to your terms of peace and opens its gates to you,
all the people to be found in it shall serve you in forced labor.
But if it refuses to make peace with you and instead offers you
battle, lay siege to it, and when the Lord, your God, delivers it
into your hand, put every male in it to the sword, but the women
and children and livestock and all else in it that is worth
plunder you may take as your booty and you may use this plunder
of your enemies which the Lord, your God, has given you." Deuteronomy 20:10

"I, the Lord, your God, am a jealous God, inflicting punishments
for their fathers' wickedness on the children of those who hate
me, down to the third and fourth generation." Deuteronomy 5:9

"Therefore, he who has any of the following defects may not come
forward: he who is blind, or lame, or who has any disfigurement
or malformation, or crippled foot or hand....he may not approach
the veil nor go up to the altar on account of these defects; he
shall not profane these things that are sacred to me, for it is
I, the Lord, who make them sacred." Leviticus 21:18ff

Also...and I know this will be a contentious one:

In Exodus...the god of the Bible...in an attempt to show Pharaoh just how powerful he is...savaged the people of Egypt and ended up slaughtering innocent babies.

Now ostensibly, the god was trying to get "his people" out of bondage. But just pages earlier, the god had created the 200+ billion stars in our galaxy and the hundreds of billions of other galaxies...and all the space to fit them in...which is so great, light takes billions of years to travers it.

I am saying that the god could have gotten the job done without resorting to the wonton slaughter/murder of these innocent babies. He could easily have gotten it done without resorting to that barbarity.

But the god actually sets Pharaoh up for all this. He "hardens" Pharaoh's heart and makes him "abdurate"...and actually brags to Moses that Pharaoh will not relent...so that the final deed would have to be done.

By the way, Jews now "celebrate" Passover...the oldest continuously celebrated religious holiday. But "passover"...although supposedly the celebration of the deliverance of the Jews from bondage...refers to a specific incident in that deliverance....to wit; the passing of the angel of death over the houses of Jews...while slaughtering the innocent babies of the Egyptians.

I ask you, Moishe, suppose the Egyptians today were celebrating the slaughter of Jewish babies by their gods in ancient times. How would you as a Jew feel about that?

So...let's discuss it. But please, I ask you: None of this "you are an anti-Semite, Frank...(which I get from Jews whenever I discuss this issue)...because I tell you from the bottom of my heart that I am not anti-Semitic; anti-Jew; or anything of the sort.
0 Replies

Voltoza

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 02:23 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Voltoza wroteL "Societies can make their own code of ethics based on the greatest good for the greatest number."

Isn't that how Hitler and Stalin started out?

Ethics can be very complicated. The point I was trying to make is that religion is not needed in order to have a sound code of ethics. Using a utilitarian approach can be useful, but clearly not the ONLY method used by a society. Ethics is another topic altogether, which will be great for another time.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 02:28 pm
Well I do believe that ethics and morality do not need religion in order to teach the concepts. Yes, that would be a good topic.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 02:33 pm
Voltoza wrote:
cavfancier wrote:
Voltoza wroteL "Societies can make their own code of ethics based on the greatest good for the greatest number."

Ethics can be very complicated. The point I was trying to make is that religion is not needed in order to have a sound code of ethics. Using a utilitarian approach can be useful, but clearly not the ONLY method used by a society. Ethics is another topic altogether, which will be great for another time.

Cav is an excellent thinker, Vol...but I think this particular quote needs a few edges rounded.

Cav...there is no doubt that man-made ethics and morals can be abused...and monsters like Hitler and Stalin can use the approach to further their own ends...

...but the so-called God-ordained morality and ethics MAY very well be man-made also. Fact is, I strongly suspect some ancient Hebrews decided to put their personal ethics and morality into a morality play called Scripture. It may be, in fact, that all supposed Scripture is man-made...so we are run full circle.

In any case, just as a Hitler and Stalin can subvert man-made morality and ethics....humans have always found ways to subvert the supposed God-ordained morality and ethics just as grossly.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 03:02 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Voltoza wrote:
cavfancier wrote:

Cav is an excellent thinker, Vol...but I think this particular quote needs a few edges rounded.

Cav...there is no doubt that man-made ethics and morals can be abused...and monsters like Hitler and Stalin can use the approach to further their own ends...

...but the so-called God-ordained morality and ethics MAY very well be man-made also. Fact is, I strongly suspect some ancient Hebrews decided to put their personal ethics and morality into a morality play called Scripture. It may be, in fact, that all supposed Scripture is man-made...so we are run full circle.

In any case, just as a Hitler and Stalin can subvert man-made morality and ethics....humans have always found ways to subvert the supposed God-ordained morality and ethics just as grossly.

On that Frank, I also agree. So...where do we go from here is the question. Whether we hide behind religion or politics, humans are indeed murderous beasts at heart. I would love to see an ethics thread on this topic. :wink:
0 Replies

Otis

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 03:23 pm
this isnt really an opinion or anything that will add to the discussion, but I whenever someone says that "cartoon god" bit, it makes me think of this particular copy of the Old Testament I once saw. It's the actual Old Testament, but in comic book form. There are drawings and speech bubbles and the little boxes that say "Meanwhile..." every so often.

I just thought I would share that someone has atually portrayed the God of the bible as a cartoon, since Frank is calling the God of the bible a cartoon god.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 03:27 pm
Otis, tell us more. I am sure a lot of us are not familiar with this book. If you can find a link, that would also be great.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:17 pm
Religion is for the weak and ignorant masses.

If the masses are weak and ignorant

M>W.I

And the masses are weak and ignorant

W.I

Then religion is for them

[(M>W.I).(W.I)]>M

Not sure this is right, just practicing,

But the masses are weak and ignorant, if thats the definition of being weak and ignorant, i.e. like the masses are.
0 Replies

Otis

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 05:46 pm
well at cav's request, i went searching for the terms "bible" and "comic" together at amazon.com. I was taken to this page

The top result is the one I was thinking of, but I guess I underestimated the popularity of this concept!
0 Replies

TonyO

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:13 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
TonyO wrote:
Frank wrote:

Quote:
Any day of the week...and twice on Sundays.

I await your god. Please explain how this god would deal with:

1) Creation
2) Morals
3) Define as best as possible your gods nature (a spirit, tangible body, etc)

(There are of course many other "how would he's" but these are enough for now)

Hi Frank,

In response you wrote:

Quote:
"My God" (your words, not mine) would simply create the world. Period.

Ok, we agree that the universe is created. Does your god use pre-existing material or ex nihilo? Is your god outside of time and space, transcendent? Thanks

You wrote:

Quote:
As far as "morals" are concerned, the God would not be offended by any of the things humans do. The God would simply keep a hands off position with regard to humans -- and allow humans to determine for themselves what they would tolerate and what they would not.

Since your god would not be "offended" by anything humans would do your god is a moral god. This then raises the question, could a moral god really take a "hands off" position regarding his creation?

Also you take offense at the G-d of Scripture and His "morals" now, what makes you think man left to his own would be any better morally?

You wrote:

Quote:
The God would be spirit (I guess) but would not be jealous, vindictive, vengeful, petty, murderous, or barbaric. It would probably never get involved with what humans should or should not do...but if it did, it certainly would never tell humans that some humans could own other humans...or that humans should slaughter people in wars. It would leave those kinds of things to the petty, cartoon gods that humans who are afraid of the unknown invent.

OK, since you claim that your god would be spirit, would this spirit then be Omnipresent, Omniscient and Omnipotent?

You wrote:

Quote:
Where did I ever tell you that you must reject God or gods?

When you stated this:

Quote:
I have carefully read what the god of the Bible says and does...and I reject that any God (Capital "G" God) would say and do.

Fact is, you Christians reject it also...but you are in a bind. You want Jesus to be God also...so you pretty much are stuck with the god described in Leviticus and Deuteronomy....and that god is a cartoon.

You wrote:

Quote:
Would you mind being more specific.

Here is what the god of the Bible has to say about those things.

Leviticus 25:44ff
"Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess...such slaves
you may own as chattels, and leave to your sons as their
hereditary property, making them perpetual slaves."

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them shall be
put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their
lives." Leviticus 20:13

"If a man has a stubborn and unruly son who will not listen to
his father or mother, and will not obey them even though they
chastise him, his father and mother shall have him apprehended
and brought out to the elders at the gate of his home city, where
...his fellow citizens shall stone him to death." Deuteronomy 22:18ff

"When you march up to attack a city, first offer terms of peace.
If it agrees to your terms of peace and opens its gates to you,
all the people to be found in it shall serve you in forced labor.
But if it refuses to make peace with you and instead offers you
battle, lay siege to it, and when the Lord, your God, delivers it
into your hand, put every male in it to the sword, but the women
and children and livestock and all else in it that is worth
plunder you may take as your booty and you may use this plunder
of your enemies which the Lord, your God, has given you." Deuteronomy 20:10

"I, the Lord, your God, am a jealous God, inflicting punishments
for their fathers' wickedness on the children of those who hate
me, down to the third and fourth generation." Deuteronomy 5:9

Please cite specific passages from Jesus that says those same things...or that gives that kind of flavor to what he is saying.

You just did. Jesus is G-d incarnate, hence Jesus is eternal. All things were created by and through Him. In other words since Jesus is G-d come in the flesh then as G-d Jesus gave the Law.

You wrote:

Quote:
No...but can you show me any reason why the god of the Bible decided to give these injunctions if he did not intend for people to use them?

G-d, I am fairly sure, had every intention of people using them but perhaps the "fear" of it being carried out is why it may have never been used.

My kids would love to get on the internet whenever they so choose but they don't for two reasons. 1) They love me and respect my rules and 2) they fear the consequences of going against my rules Very Happy

You wrote:

Quote:
Whether I or you know of an incident where it was done is not nearly as important as the fact that if it were done...your god would not be offended by it.

I offer this as a rebuttal

Jonah 4:2-11
2 He prayed to the LORD and said, "Please LORD, was not this what I said while I was still in my own country? Therefore in order to forestall this I fled to Tarshish, for I knew that You are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness, and one who relents concerning calamity.

3 "Therefore now, O LORD, please take my life from me, for death is better to me than life."

4 The LORD said, "Do you have good reason to be angry?"

5 Then Jonah went out from the city and sat east of it. There he made a shelter for himself and sat under it in the shade until he could see what would happen in the city.

6 So the LORD God appointed a plant and it grew up over Jonah to be a shade over his head to deliver him from his discomfort. And Jonah was extremely happy about the plant.

7 But God appointed a worm when dawn came the next day and it attacked the plant and it withered.

8 When the sun came up God appointed a scorching east wind, and the sun beat down on Jonah's head so that he became faint and begged with all his soul to die, saying, "Death is better to me than life."

9 Then God said to Jonah, "Do you have good reason to be angry about the plant?" And he said, "I have good reason to be angry, even to death."

10 Then the LORD said, "You had compassion on the plant for which you did not work and which you did not cause to grow, which came up overnight and perished overnight.

11 "Should I not have compassion on Nineveh, the great city in which there are more than 120,000 persons who do not know the difference between their right and left hand, as well as many animals?"
NASU

Quote:
I am sure all those books you have explain that Leviticus is a book that makes a stark contrast between the holiness of God and the sin of man. Leviticus also explains the dealings and goings on of the Levites and their duties relating to the Temple services and their dealings within the people as "priests".

You wrote:

Quote:
But the best possible explanation of Leviticus is that it is a collection of fables...the sensibilities of relatively uninformed, relatively unsophisticated, very, very supersitious ancient Hebrews...who were trying to create a civilization...and who put their morals and sensibilities into the mouth of a god they invented in order to do so.

You mean like you are doing now?

Thank you also Frank for the discussion. Take care,

Tony
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:20 pm
Once there was a time I thought it polite to accept that people of religion deserved tolerance and sympathy. I gave that up years ago. Inane reasoing remains inane reasoning regardless of it's intentions.
0 Replies

Voltoza

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:36 pm
Get Back to the Main Point PLEASE
The things that people are arguing about on this thread are really ridiculous. Make-believe gods and scripture have no place in this topic. Finally, at least dyslexia has made a contribution.

dyslexia wrote:
Once there was a time I thought it polite to accept that people of religion deserved tolerance and sympathy. I gave that up years ago. Inane reasoing remains inane reasoning regardless of it's intentions.

Why do you think they do not deserve tolerance? Isn't tolerance what we are striving for, and what religion hinders? Do you think religion harms society so much that it should not even be tolerated?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:40 pm
yes I do.
0 Replies

Otis

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:41 pm
dyslexia wrote:

what you consider inane reasoning someone else might consider perfectly logical. It is very closed minded to simply dismiss something you don't understand as inanely reasoned.

3 + 5 = 10

That makes perfect sense to me, and if you don't understand it you either dismiss it as inanely reasoned, or you can ask the people in the computer section of A2K how it works, they all know. Or even better:

9 + 9 = 12

The point is that just because something doesn't fit with the way you have been taught to interpret the world doesn't mean it's wrong. If 1 + 1 = 10 was not possible, then the computer simply would not exist.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:44 pm
and rat-o-morphic extrapolation to explain human behavior is also inane. Did you find the cheese yet?
0 Replies

Otis

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:56 pm
I don't know where you got lab rats from, but I was talking about counting systems with different bases.
0 Replies