Religion Is For The Weak And Ignorant Masses

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 02:53 pm
husker wrote:
from from the above link
Quote:
Jer 5:22 (NIV) "Should you not fear me?" declares the Lord. "Should you not tremble in my presence?"

In Hebrew, yirah (Jon 1:16, Ps 90:11), yare (above, Mal 3:16) and pachad (Job 3:25a, Ps 119:120) mean reverent fear, terror, or dread, normally translated simply fear. There are other words in Hebrew for mere respect, reverence, or honor, such as kabad (Ex 20:12). In Greek fear/terror is phobo (Mat 28:4,1 Pet 2:17c), where reverence or honor is timao (1 Pet 2:17a/d).

With this distinction in both Hebrew and Greek, some still assert that "fear merely means reverence." As if God through His Spirit could not select the right word hundreds of times! Some would prefer to believe this than to understand that God really ought to be feared.

Why is it we will not accept the fear of God? Why do we try to "explain away" the fear of God in Scripture? What is it in our unconscious minds that creeps up when the Spirit leads us into the revelation of the fear of God?

Husker...you really gotta get a grip on this quoting stuff. I cannot tell what you are quoting and what you are adding.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 03:28 pm
husker wrote:
from from the above link
Quote:
Jer 5:22 (NIV) "Should you not fear me?" declares the Lord. "Should you not tremble in my presence?"

In Hebrew, yirah (Jon 1:16, Ps 90:11), yare (above, Mal 3:16) and pachad (Job 3:25a, Ps 119:120) mean reverent fear, terror, or dread, normally translated simply fear. There are other words in Hebrew for mere respect, reverence, or honor, such as kabad (Ex 20:12). In Greek fear/terror is phobo (Mat 28:4,1 Pet 2:17c), where reverence or honor is timao (1 Pet 2:17a/d).

With this distinction in both Hebrew and Greek, some still assert that "fear merely means reverence." As if God through His Spirit could not select the right word hundreds of times! Some would prefer to believe this than to understand that God really ought to be feared.

Why is it we will not accept the fear of God? Why do we try to "explain away" the fear of God in Scripture? What is it in our unconscious minds that creeps up when the Spirit leads us into the revelation of the fear of God?

Husker,

I'm not sure if you'd noticed, but what you quote is actually debunking the familiar explanation that the Bible really means "respect" instead of "fear" and "terrified" etc.

That's why the author asks "Why do we try to "explain away" the fear of God in Scripture?"

If you want to know more on the author's position see here:

http://www.acts17-11.com/fear_xtra.html

Quote:
For about 10 years, I was led to believe that "fear" in Scripture meant super-respect. And it does in some cases. But this presupposition caused me to do some real "explaining away" at other times, which I was all to eager to do since I saw the fear of God and the love of God as fundamentally opposing each other.

But finally the absurdity of this struck me. Fear is fear, and respect is respect. Could not God have used the right word? Why did Jeremiah, Isaiah , etc., use "fear" when there were perfectly good words for respect, honor, and reverence? Are we wiser than the Holy Spirit, or just resisting the truth?

Beyond the brief snippet in the beginning of the study, it should be noted that yirah is fear mingled with reverence, as opposed to only fear or only reverence. In Greek, however, what could be clearer than phobos--or abject terror (where we get phobia from). yare is similar in Hebrew.

Still, many attempt to explain this away. Hey, I did it for years. But the trembling part, in both Testaments, should have given us a clue to the folly of attempting to explain-away God's Word.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 03:43 pm
Craven, I always equated fear with awe. What is the synonym in Portuguese?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 03:44 pm
Letty wrote:
Craven, I always equated fear with awe.

The words used in the Bible leave little room for wordplay, and are very clearly about fear and terror.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 03:51 pm
Really? Well, I thought so as a child, but that's no longer clear to me.

(Is that you in your avatar? )

My apologies to the creator of this thread for the brief aside.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 03:52 pm
Yes
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 03:57 pm
Well, you certainly are a handsome hamster, my young friend.

Now back to the religion of the masses.
0 Replies

TonyO

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 04:04 pm
Hello Frank,

Interesting topic. I would like to take a stab at it, thank you.

You wrote:

Quote:
Let's test it.

Let us hear you tell your god to screw off...to stop being such a dipshyt...to stop being so goddam offended by nearly everything humans do...and to get off our backs.

This is illogical. You are asking "Christians" to basically denounce Christianity. This would be like asking an "atheist" to thank God for all His goodness, kindness and mercy. The atheist does not do this for it would then mean he or she declared a belief in God, hence no longer an atheist but a Believer. This may be why you are having trouble finding Christians to do this.

You wrote:

Quote:
Let's hear you tell him you don't care that he may send you to Hell to suffer excruciating, unending torture for all the rest of eternity.

Frank, I take it that you dislike God. Perhaps one might deduce from your post that you even hate God, or perhaps it is the "image" of God that you so dislike. I am sorry you feel that way but my question though is born out of a great curiosity as to why would a "God hater" hate the idea of being seperated from God for all eternity?

In other words one spends their live seeking to distance themselves from this God, to denounce Him at every chance. So would it then not be "hell" for this person if God forced them to live with Him for all eternity and worship Him?

Perhaps something to ponder.
Thank you,
Tony
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 04:25 pm
TonyO wrote:
Hello Frank,

Interesting topic. I would like to take a stab at it, thank you.

Hello, Tony. The more the merrier.

Quote:

Quote:
Let's test it.

Let us hear you tell your god to screw off...to stop being such a dipshyt...to stop being so goddam offended by nearly everything humans do...and to get off our backs.

This is illogical. You are asking "Christians" to basically denounce Christianity. This would be like asking an "atheist" to thank God for all His goodness, kindness and mercy. The atheist does not do this for it would then mean he or she declared a belief in God, hence no longer an atheist but a Believer. This may be why you are having trouble finding Christians to do this.

Tony...I am not asking Husker...or anyone else to renounce their god. I am simply asking them to show that they are truly not afraid of the god.

Fact is, (as Craven has so intelligently illustrated) the god Christians worship is indeed a fearsome being.

It demands that it be feared.

So when I called attention to the fact that Christians do fear the god...I have difficulty accepting protestations that they do not.

The little test I offered is a stretch, and shouldn't be taken too seriously...but it is not illogical.

Quote:
You wrote:

Quote:
Let's hear you tell him you don't care that he may send you to Hell to suffer excruciating, unending torture for all the rest of eternity.

Frank, I take it that you dislike God.

You take it wrong.

I do not even know if there is a God...and in any case, I am not talking about God. I am talking about the god of the Bible...the fearsome, barbaric, vengeful, wrathful, quick to anger, constantly offended, vulgar, murderous, cartoon god.

So please don't think I have any hatred or even dislike of any God that might exist.

Quote:
Perhaps one might deduce from your post that you even hate God, or perhaps it is the "image" of God that you so dislike. I am sorry you feel that way but my question though is born out of a great curiosity as to why would a "God hater" hate the idea of being seperated from God for all eternity?

Where on earth are you getting that from?

Where did I say anything about hating the idea of being separated from God?

Quote:
In other words one spends their live seeking to distance themselves from this God, to denounce Him at every chance.

I am not trying to distance myself from any God that might exist. I am not denouncing any God that might exist. I DO NOT KNOW IF A GOD EVEN EXISTS...and I do not have enough evidence upon which to make a guess about that issue.

But I do have enough information about the god of the Bible to recognize that the chances of that pathetic god being God is so remote...I simply dismiss it.

And since so much mischief and evil have resulted from the worship of that god...I speak out on the issue.

Quote:
So would it then not be "hell" for this person if God forced them to live with Him for all eternity and worship Him?

If there is a Hell...it is the Heaven that Christians crave.

Quote:
Perhaps something to ponder. Thank you, Tony

Perhaps something for you to ponder...and I hope continue to discuss with me, Tony.

Thank you.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 04:34 pm
Thanks, Tony.

It's weird to be asked to cuss God out when you aren't even mad at Him.

It would be like some stranger telling some kid on the street to go cuss his father for beating him, stealing from him, and knocking his mother around. The kid thinks--my dad never did any of that. Its just bizarre.

About the fear thing. I hope no one opens up a relationship with Christ/God out of fear. That seems kind of sad--but it's their business.

But, do I want to take pick a fight with God? No. Thankfully, I have no qualms with God. Frank and I obviously perceive God quite differently.

And, Craven or anybody. There are several "fear" translations from Greek. I imagine some may be fear--but, yes, many of them do translate to reverence, respect...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 04:46 pm
Re: Religion Is For The Weak And Ignorant Masses
Voltoza wrote:
It is for the weak, because they are unable to bear the idea that we are in this world with absolutely no clear answers or purpose. Religion gives them these answers; it gives them their purposes.

This is true. And there is nothing wrong with that. Everybody has a weakness, and everybody has something that they cling to when they need hope.

Are you suggesting that people without religion don't have any irrational beliefs, or that they are stronger somehow? If so, I'd have to say that you are being naive.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 04:46 pm
Question: "What does the Bible say about fear?"

Answer: The Bible has quite a bit to say about fear. In fact it mentions two specific types of fear. The first type is beneficial and is to be encouraged. The second type is a detriment and is to be not only discouraged, but overcome. The first type of fear is fear of the Lord. This type of fear is not necessarily fear that means to be afraid of something. Rather it is a reverential awe of God; a reverence for His power and glory. However, it is also proper respect for His wrath and anger. In other words, it is a total acknowledgement of all that God is which comes through knowing Him and all His attributes.

Fear of the Lord brings with it many blessings and benefits. In Psalm 111:10 it says, "The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do [his commandments]: his praise endureth for ever." And in Pro 1:7 it says, "The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of knowledge: [but] fools despise wisdom and instruction." Thus we see how both wisdom and knowledge begin with fear of the Lord.

Furthermore, in Pro 19:23 it says, "The fear of the LORD [tendeth] to life: and [he that hath it] shall abide satisfied; he shall not be visited with evil." And again in Pro 14:27, "The fear of the LORD [is] a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death." And in Pro 14:26 it states, "In the fear of the LORD [is] strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge." In these verses we see that fear of the Lord provides life, security for your children, protection from evil, confidence, and satisfaction.

Thus one can see how fear of the Lord should be encouraged. However, the second type of fear mentioned in the Bible is not beneficial and should be not only discouraged but overcome. This is the "spirit of fear" mentioned in 2Ti 1:7 where it says, "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." Thus we see right from the beginning that this "spirit of fear" does not come from God.

However, sometimes we are afraid, sometimes this "spirit of fear" overcomes us, and to overcome this fear we need to trust in and love God completely. It says in 1Jo 4:18, "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love." However, no one is perfect, and God knows this. So He has liberally sprinkled encouragement against fear throughout the Bible. Beginning in the Book of Genesis and continuing throughout the Book of Revelations God tells us to "Fear not."

For example it says in Isa 41:10, "Fear thou not; for I [am] with thee: be not dismayed; for I [am] thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." And again in Dan 10:12, "Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words." And in the New Testament Jesus says, Mat 10:31, "Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows." Just these few verses cover many different types of fear. God tells us not to be afraid of being alone, not to be afraid of being too weak, not to be afraid of not being heard, and not to be afraid for our physical necessities. And these "fear not" admonishments continue throughout the Bible covering the many different aspects of the "spirit of fear."

However, these "fear nots" are dependent upon our ability to put our trust and faith in the Lord. In Psalm 56:11 the psalmist writes, "In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me." This is an awesome testimony to the power of trusting in God. What the psalmist is saying is that regardless of what happens, he will trust in God. This is the key to overcoming fear - total and complete trust in God
-------

From a google of "fear-God-Bible". This comes close to explaining fear of God, per me.

I am not afraid of God, but as I said, I wouldn't pick a fight.

God makes many people unafraid.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 05:35 pm
Lash wrote:
And, Craven or anybody. There are several "fear" translations from Greek. I imagine some may be fear--but, yes, many of them do translate to reverence, respect...

Not in any of the passages I had in mind.

The ones I have in mind are explict and do not lend room for wordplay.

God, in the Bible, repeatedly expresses the desire to be feared (not respected or admired, but feared). Anywho, if you'd like to discuss the original texts I'd be happy to do so, I like languages and lexicography.

From the text you found and posted:

Quote:
Answer: The Bible has quite a bit to say about fear. In fact it mentions two specific types of fear. The first type is beneficial and is to be encouraged. The second type is a detriment and is to be not only discouraged, but overcome. The first type of fear is fear of the Lord. This type of fear is not necessarily fear that means to be afraid of something. Rather it is a reverential awe of God; a reverence for His power and glory. However, it is also proper respect for His wrath and anger. In other words, it is a total acknowledgement of all that God is which comes through knowing Him and all His attributes.

This is misleading. The words in some of the original texts do not lend toward any creative rewriting like "respect". They are explicitly about fear and phobia.

Here are some examples:

Matthew 10:28
    And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

This "he" who is supposed to be feared is misconstrued by some as Satan, but it's referencing God. I'll get to that later.

The word used here is the Greek word phobeo (to terrify) and there is no ambiguity about this word. It's not respect, awe or anything else but plain fear.

Back to how this is not Satan, but God.

Luke 12:4-5

4 And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. 5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

This passage uses phobeo as well, but makes clear that it's not the resident of hell that is to be feared but the fella who can send you there.

On the page I'd linked earlier you can read more about the original texts:

• Hebrew Word Legend

yare [3372/3 (Strong's Numbers)] fear, revere (Jonah 1:16, Ps 90:11, 25:12-14, 34:9,118:4, 76:7, 19:9, Isa 8:12a)

yirah [3374] fear, terror (Jer 5:22, Mal 3:16, Ps 34:11,111:10, Prov 9:10, 8:13, 14:26, 16:6, 19:23, Job 28:28)

pachad [6342/3] fear, dread (Job 3:25a, Ps 119:120, Job 23:15)

arats [6206] dread, fear, tremble (Ps 89:7, Isa 8:12c, 8:13b)

mowra [4172] fear, reverence, terror (Isa 8:12b, 8:13a)

kabad [3513] honor, glorify, heavy (Ex 20:12)

• Greek Word Legend

phobeo [5399] to terrify (Mat 10:28, Luke 12:4-5, 1 Jn 4:18b)

phobo [5401] fear, dread, terror (Mat 28:4, 1 Pet 2:17c, 2 Cor 5:11, 7:1, 1 Jn 4:18a,b, 1 Pet 1:17, Phil 2:12)

phoberos [5398] fearful, terrible (Heb 10:31,12:21a)

ekphobos [1630] exceedingly fear (Heb 12:21b)

tromos [5156] tremble, quake (Phil 2:12b)

timao [5091/2] honour, venerate, value (1 Pet 2:17a/d [this verse is a most interesting contrast of words])

aidos [0127] reverence, shame (Heb 12:28a)

eulabeia [2124] reverence, veneration (Heb 12:28b)

Quote:
Thus one can see how fear of the Lord should be encouraged. However, the second type of fear mentioned in the Bible is not beneficial and should be not only discouraged but overcome. This is the "spirit of fear" mentioned in 2Ti 1:7 where it says, "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." Thus we see right from the beginning that this "spirit of fear" does not come from God.

Incidentally, this is not referencing the same "fear". As the other passages, but deilia, for which "fear" is an inaccurate translation.

Quote:
God makes many people unafraid.

There is a lot in the Bible to support that God wishes to make people unafraid... of other stuff, but still with a fear of displeasing him and facing his wrath.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 05:36 pm
Re: Religion Is For The Weak And Ignorant Masses
kicky makes a great point here:

kickycan wrote:

This is true. And there is nothing wrong with that. Everybody has a weakness, and everybody has something that they cling to when they need hope.

If religion is for the weak, then it's not excluding anyone.
0 Replies

melbournian cheese

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 06:30 pm
the Christian god scares everyone into following it. It's hard not to when he says, "If you don't believe in me you're going to suffer eternal pain and suffering."
"What if I do follow you?"
"We get to hang out and play harps!"
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 07:09 pm
OK, I should dust off my Greek books and check out which fears are which. Will return to this at some point. But, you seemed to agree that there are many different translations of 'fear'.

As a child, when I questioned about this 'fear of the Lord', I was told this meant a healthy respect, a deep reverence--like I had for my father. I didn't go about being afraid of him, but I didn't cross him.

I guess that's what I get from some of Frank's comments. ...that people go about cowering in fear of God. What a miserable thought. I hope there's nobody living such a life.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 07:43 pm
Lash wrote:
OK, I should dust off my Greek books and check out which fears are which. Will return to this at some point. But, you seemed to agree that there are many different translations of 'fear'.

Yes, but I disagree that this means that the Bible does not say to fear (as in fear, not respect) god because the Bible uses explicit calls to fear god that can't be explained away with linguistic ambiguity.

The links I keep referring to are by a Christian who has come to this conclusion and rejects the attempts to rewrite "fear" as "respect" etc.

Quote:
As a child, when I questioned about this 'fear of the Lord', I was told this meant a healthy respect, a deep reverence--like I had for my father. I didn't go about being afraid of him, but I didn't cross him.

I contend that this teaching is as false as it is prevalent. I think it makes more sense than the more base "fear me" stuff from the Biblical god, but that's not what it says.

Quote:

I guess that's what I get from some of Frank's comments. ...that people go about cowering in fear of God. What a miserable thought. I hope there's nobody living such a life.

Same here, but like Frank, I think that if one believes the Bible literally they should be terrified of the biblical god. The biblical god is on the same page in this regard.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 08:06 pm
In another thread recently I mentioned the need for anyone interested in the Christian texts to be familiar with Latin, Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic. That got a few jokes. Craven has just made my point here. Translations are a slippery beast. Every translator will end up coloring the text in some fashion as they struggle to find the appropriate word/terms the languages. It is very difficult to find really great translations of any text, even very simple straight forward material. To get exact translations of ancient works on difficult material, as religion often is, is an even greater problem. The Christians have translated the Old Testament, and source documents from early Christianity many, many times. Some of the translations are from translations of both ancient and modern languages. Take almost any section of the Bible and compare the various translations and I believe most folks would be amazed at the bewildering contrasts.

Hear, hear Craven.
0 Replies

TonyO

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 09:58 pm
Hey Frank,

You wrote:

Quote:
Tony...I am not asking Husker...or anyone else to renounce their god. I am simply asking them to show that they are truly not afraid of the god.

Frank, respect and fear go hand in hand. I do not place my hand in a lions cage because I respect their space and I also fear what they can do to my hand.

Since God is the Ultimate Authority, and if He states we are not to take His name in vain, I then will not do so out of both respect and fear.

There is a story that speaks of Satan thinking to himself, "Sure God created the universe and all in it, sure He is all knowing and all powerful....but I think I can take Him!"

You wrote:

Quote:
I do not even know if there is a God...and in any case, I am not talking about God. I am talking about the god of the Bible...the fearsome, barbaric, vengeful, wrathful, quick to anger, constantly offended, vulgar, murderous, cartoon god.

Frank,

I am having a difficult time with this. You first claim that you are not even sure if there is a God, you then claim you are not talking about God but you are talking about the god of the Bible......you then state:

Quote:
So please don't think I have any hatred or even dislike of any God that might exist.

Everything about your statements here are contradictory. First you claim there may be no God, then you state there can be no god as revealed in the Bible BUT you don't wish me to think you have any hatred or dislike for "any" God that "might" exist!

Because of your dislike for the God of the Bible you have come to the conclusion that He cannot exist. This is again illogical because you then state this:

Quote:
I DO NOT KNOW IF A GOD EVEN EXISTS...and I do not have enough evidence upon which to make a guess about that issue.

Apparently you do have enough evidence because you claimed that the God of the Bible cannot exist, correct?

You wrote:

Quote:
But I do have enough information about the god of the Bible to recognize that the chances of that pathetic god being God is so remote...I simply dismiss it.

This is based on pure subjective reasoning

Thank you,
Tony
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 12:45 am
TonyO,

All your confusion about Frank's position can be cleared up by realizing that "a god" and "the Biblical god" are not the same thing.
0 Replies