Why won't Bush debate at length regarding the issues?

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 11:41 am
Because he can't.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/09/15/MNGHO8P5531.DTL

These are the three presidential debates and one vice presidential debate proposed by the Commission on Presidential Debates. All are scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. and last 90 minutes:

---------------------------------------------

Presidential

THURSDAY, SEPT. 30

-- Where: University of Miami, Coral Gables, Fla.

-- Moderator: Jim Lehrer, anchor, "The NewsHour" on PBS

FRIDAY, OCT. 8

-- Where: Washington University, St. Louis, Mo.

-- Moderator: Gwen Ifill, anchor-reporter, "The NewsHour," and moderator, "Washington Week in Review" on PBS

WEDNESDAY, OCT. 13

-- Where: Arizona State University, Tempe, Ariz.

-- Moderator: Bob Schieffer, CBS News, moderator of "Face the Nation"

---------------------------------------------

Vice Presidential

-- When: Oct. 5

-- Where: Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio

-- Moderator: Charles Gibson, ABC News' "Good Morning America"

Source: Commission on Presidential Debates
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,714 • Replies: 46
No top replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 11:44 am
It's always a disadvantage for an incumbent to debate no matter who it is.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 11:46 am
Then why would he agree to any debates? He out-debated Gore and his lockbox, he out-debated Anne Richards, he will out-debate the poodle. Just remember that he has a country to run behind the scenes of the campaign.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 11:49 am
It's always a disadvantage for an incumbent to debate no matter who it is. <--- Brand X

Yes, this is true. But the incumbent has a massive advantage already when it comes to advertising and policy pushing, as well as support from the party and name recognition.

So what's wrong with the challenger getting a leg up every now and then?

Bush will debate, but probably only two of them; the Friday, Oct. 8th debate probably won't happen.

Bush has also changed the format for the debates; the moderator is no longer allowed to interrupt the candidate, and there will be NO unprepared questions. Lame.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 11:57 am
The real question is why do we as citizens put up with this sham. All candidates should debate with only unprepared questions. Otherwise, what's the point of it at all?

They should outlaw all campaign ads, and have the morons--I mean candidates--do live unscripted question and answer sessions at regularly scheduled intervals for a couple months instead. Then maybe we could make a more informed vote.

Yeah, I know, I'm a dreamer.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:01 pm
kickycan wrote:
The real question is why do we as citizens put up with this sham. All candidates should debate with only unprepared questions. Otherwise, what's the point of it at all?

They should outlaw all campaign ads, and have the morons--I mean candidates--do live unscripted question and answer sessions at regularly scheduled intervals for a couple months instead. Then maybe we could make a more informed vote.

Yeah, I know, I'm a dreamer.

but you're not the only one I hope someday folks will join us.....and the world will be as one" :wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:02 pm
Aaaaaw, that's nice...
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:04 pm
Cycloptichorn just made my point; Dumbya CAN'T debate in a format where one has to think on the fly, a quality Dumbya has NEVER had. Plus, the fear of giving birth to new Bushisms is too great, and it would give Kerry a golden window of opportunity to pounce on Dumbya's idiocy.

I'd say it's a guarantee that Kerry will learn from Gore's mistakes in the 2000 debates. Plus, Kerry doesn't have the baggage of a VP running for President, nor does he have the complacency of a country regarding terrorism. The 2000 election was Gore's to lose, even though he actually won (IMO). Different times will call for different strategies.

But make no mistake; Bush's inability to intellectualize his way out of a bag of pretzels is the main thrust for avoiding Kerry at all costs.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:06 pm
IMO the election is over...bush has and will win...not with my vote however.......this proves there are more gullible stupid and uninformed people than not....so it has always been
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:10 pm
How refreshing to know that when anyone takes an opinion other than yours they are labeled gullible, stupid and uninformed. And you wonder why, in the words of candidate Edwards, there are two Americas.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:11 pm
Quote:
IMO the election is over...bush has and will win...not with my vote however.......this proves there are more gullible stupid and uninformed people than not....so it has always been

I guess it takes a gullible, stupid and illinformed pResident to lead a country of gullible, stupid and illinformed people.

Like minds, I guess...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:12 pm
Kerry, on the Daily Show, talked about what a good debater Bush was, and how Bush has won all his debates for a while.

That, to me, is the sign of a man who is well prepared to take on his opponent. Kerry knows what Bush will do - try and turn the debate from a discourse on policies to a 90-minute commercial for freedom, and coincidentally, his party.

The fact that the moderator will not be able to interrupt candidates to keep them on track is ludicrous to me. I mean, what kind of childish kiddie debate rules are they playing with here to make Bush happy?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:14 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
How refreshing to know that when anyone takes an opinion other than yours they are labeled gullible, stupid and uninformed. And you wonder why, in the words of candidate Edwards, there are two Americas.

there are many people who take opinions different from mine that I do not find to be any of these things....I do feel however that swallowing the bush line of bullshit is stupid, gullible and purposefully uninformed and nothing will change my mind......so reign in the sarcasm unless of course it makes you feel better in which case....have at it with my compliments......
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:17 pm
Rat:

Quote:

Um, actually, John Edwards was referring to social classes and the privileged, not intelligence. There are MANY intelligent people out there struggling to make ends meet. There are also gullible, stupid and uninformed people in BOTH Americas.

If Bush were to debate in all forums, and deal with candid questions and responses, then my guess is that he would be catering more to an informed electorate.

But such has never been the case (IMO)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:18 pm
Dookie,

You can't yell at conservatives for twisting quotes for their own purposes; it's like telling a tall person not to be tall.

They don't even see anything wrong with it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:18 pm
and let me add that you need to be gracious in victory....you would have, I thought, be dancing in the aisles to hear someone who does not support bush as vehemently as I admit to the fact that he's in all probability got the election bagged....that's the only thing that matters to you guys right....winning?
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:20 pm
Why won't Kerry talk to any media people? It's going on 8 weeks since he's talked to any reporter.
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:25 pm
Besides, since Kerry's for and against even the time of day, what's to debate??
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:28 pm
BPB, whether you have decided this election is over in your mind is of no concern to me. I seriously don't think it is over by any stretch. If you wish to think so, that is fine.

You made an asinine comment about people who support Bush. All I have done is point out the idiocy of the comment. And yes, I know Dook exactly to what Edwards was really referring to, but again, I cannot expect you to really get the point I was making.

But since we are all being honest here about what you think of Bush supporters, I guess I can freely say what I think of Kerry supporters, without fear of violating TOS, but I won't because I would much rather discuss amicably our differences instead of calling you names. You, on the other hand, seem to have no such compunction, but I guess that should not surprise me.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:37 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
BPB, whether you have decided this election is over in your mind is of no concern to me. I seriously don't think it is over by any stretch. If you wish to think so, that is fine.

You made an asinine comment about people who support Bush. All I have done is point out the idiocy of the comment. And yes, I know Dook exactly to what Edwards was really referring to, but again, I cannot expect you to really get the point I was making.

But since we are all being honest here about what you think of Bush supporters, I guess I can freely say what I think of Kerry supporters, without fear of violating TOS, but I won't because I would much rather discuss amicably our differences instead of calling you names. You, on the other hand, seem to have no such compunction, but I guess that should not surprise me.

on this particular issue rat, I think taking the position of supporting bush is stupid, gullible andf purposefully ignorant. Nothing assinine about it except to a died in the wool bush supporter. IMO, bush is so obviously bad for the country and the world you (and I don't mean you personally), in order to support him must be either all these things OR as purposely evil as I believe him and his cartel to be. I have not in any way violated the TOS. I have not attacked you personally.

You of course are entitled to be as insulted or angry about this as you please, but it is my heartfelt belief and I must therefore stick to it. Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy you a beer or stop to help you change a flat.
0 Replies