New Assistant Director threw away my work. What should I do?

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 11:55 am
My workplace recently hired a new Assistant Director since the other one left. I thought she was nice and seemed to be getting on fine with her. Here is my backstory: For the past two years, I have been writing three notice segments that my boss asked me to do. My regular work is priority, so it's fine if I can't get them done...but my boss prefers me to have them done every month. I write one for our monthly staff e-memo and two for two brochures for customers. One of the segments goes in a brochure that the Assistant Director manages. My piece is usually just stapled onto it. (We only put out about 25, so it's not like there are that many to do.) In the past, I've always just done my part, printed it, cut it into the correct size, and left the pile on the AD's desk with a note.

When the new AD began, I explained what I do for it and gave her that month's piece (printed and ready to go.) This month, I gave her the papers (printed and ready to go) early since I was going to be gone on vacation. When I came back, I saw that my segment wasn't stapled to the brochure. I thought, maybe the AD somehow missed them on her desk. I went to her office. (It's really a shared space...she has her desk, but there is another desk in there for me or another co-worker to use.) I didn't see them. Then, I thought that maybe she placed the sheets next to the brochure (forgetting to staple them on the brochures.) Went to look. Wrong again. BUT...I saw her sign. She made a sign (very similar to my segment) that she placed next to the brochures. I thought, WTF. I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt that MAYBE my papers fell on the floor under her desk. It would explain her sign and my missing papers. I went back to her office to look. What did I find? My papers...IN HER TRASH. Yes, she had thrown them away.

What should I do? Do I go directly to my boss and tell her I found my segment in AD's trash? Do I approach AD about it? I really could use some help on this one. I've never had any problem with any of my co-workers, since working this job. We all get along really well.

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 09:39 pm
It seems odd that she didn't mention that there would be a different approach to the project. Maybe your being on vacation was the opportunity, and she took advantage of your absence to change the format.

No matter, she owes you an explanation.

Ask her how she wants the week's project done. If she has taken it over, then just smile. Things change as different staff comes in.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 10:43 pm
@Bumbleberry246,
Ask her why she threw your papers in the trash. She needs to make clear what her expectations are. Unless you get this issue straightened out in the beginning, you can only expect problems in the future - which is unfair. If her answer is not reasonable, tell her you wish to speak to her boss.
Bumbleberry246

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 03:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I approached her about it and asked how my papers ended up in her trash. She just gave me an "I don't know..." answer.

I'm trying to decide if I should speak with her about it in more detail or just go to my boss. My boss is her boss.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 04:36 pm
@Bumbleberry246,
That's not a reasonable answer. Since you've already approached her and did not get a response, you are now free to go to your boss. Tell your boss you have already spoken to her, and she told you "I don't know."
You shouldn't have to tolerate such crass treatment by anyone in your company.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 10:34 am
@Bumbleberry246,
Examine your motivations, are you upset with her because you envy her position or are you upset with her because your way is better?

Respond accordingly.
0 Replies