"Our Revolution" to launch Sept 24th, 2016

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2016 06:55 am
Sanders to Launch “Our Revolution” Political Organization

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-VT, is planning to unveil “Our Revolution,” a new political organization that will continue the political revolution he started with presidential campaign and help progressive candidates across the country.

Sanders will speak from Ripley Manor in Washington D.C. on the 24th of August to launch the organization, and the speech will air at 2,000 meetings nationwide.

“During our campaign we assembled a movement of millions of people ready to fight for the country we know we can become,” Sanders said via an email to supporters.

“Now it’s time for all of us to get to work. At this meeting, I and others will lay out some of the next steps we can take as a movement to empower a wave of progressive candidates this November and win the major upcoming fights for the values we share.”

Sanders has put his support behind Hillary Clinton after failing to win the Democratic party’s nomination for president.

engineer

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2016 06:59 am
@edgarblythe,
Good for him. I think it is a natural evolution for Sanders to channel his supporters to start getting involved and getting progressives into office at all levels.
Blickers

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2016 08:38 am
Sounds good. Glad he's doing it. Sanders raised several issues during his campaign that were quite worthy, such as income inequality, and it is a positive thing that these things will still be pushed forward.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2016 12:08 pm
@engineer,
Eng, Blick, good fer you guys
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2016 11:07 pm
http://observer.com/2016/08/our-revolution-reorganizes-sanders-supporters-demobilized-by-clinton/
As Donald Trump’s polls have plummeted over the past few weeks, Hillary Clinton has taken her support from progressive Bernie Sanders supporters for granted. Her shift to the middle, although predictable and unsurprising to Sanders supporters, has been demoralizing. While Sen. Sanders opted to formally endorse Clinton for president, his lack of enthusiasm in doing so attests to his prioritizing the issues he is passionate about over partisan politics.

On August 24, Sanders is hosting a live-stream event to kick off his new organization, Our Revolution.

“If we are successful, what it will mean is that the progressive message and the issues that I campaigned on will be increasingly spread throughout this country,” Sanders told USA Today. “The goal here is to do what I think the Democratic establishment has not been very effective in doing. And that is—at the grassroots level—encourage people to get involved, give them the tools they need to win, help them financially.”

After a divisive Democratic convention, Sanders reverted back to calling out the establishment on both sides of the aisle. He criticized President Obama for continuing to support the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) agreement. “I am disappointed by the president’s decision to continue pushing forward on the disastrous Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement that will cost American jobs, harm the environment, increase the cost of prescription drugs and threaten our ability to protect public health,” Sanders wrote in a statement.

Recently, health insurance company Aetna pulled out of Obamacare after the company’s merger with Cigna hit obstacles in Connecticut due to an ethics probe into Democratic Gov. Dannel Malloy. In the wake of this minor disaster, Sanders has been revitalizing support for a single payer healthcare system. Despite his no longer being in the running for president, Sanders has garnered much more positive news coverage than Clinton. Our Revolution in particular is one of Sanders’ most attention-grabbing efforts to reorganize the enthusiasts and activists from his presidential campaign into a long-term political movement.

“I feel like there is a real chance for something else to happen beyond Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump. We’re still two and a half months away; with the possibility of another damaging WikiLeaks release and Donald Trump continuing to sabotage himself, I feel like there is room for a third party,” Mikki Willis told the Observer. Willis was a photographer and videographer for Shailene Woodley and Rosario Dawson while they served as Sanders surrogates during his presidential campaign. Willis also followed Sanders on many of his campaign tours.

“What we really need to be doing right now is make sure the third party is on the ticket, and in the debates—in the event something happens with the two frontrunners—while at the same time supporting everything Bernie is doing,” Willis said. “We can do all that. It’s not an either/or. We can make sure as many seats in Congress are filled with better people. We can all get behind and donate to the people Bernie is trying to get elected, and support all the things he is working on. I don’t think we necessarily have to cash all our chips on Hillary Clinton to support Bernie Sanders at this time.”

During Sanders’ presidential campaign, his rallies attracted record attendance. Now that Clinton is officially the Democratic presidential nominee, her campaign rallies are small by comparison. In fact, any excitement Clinton’s candidacy elicits looks an awful lot like fear of Donald Trump as president.

Millennial Sanders supporters, who once owned the internet, backed Bernie in larger numbers than Clinton and Trump combined. They’ve now been reduced to apathy and indecision. Whether a Sanders supporter decides to ultimately vote for Clinton, Green Party candidate Jill Stein, or Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson, it is imperative that for Bernie Sanders’ work to succeed in the long run, every Sanders supporter must stay politically engaged in supporting his efforts.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2016 12:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ed I note from your excellent profile (don't know why they're so rare) that you're a writer, as I considered myself in pre-'tire' days. So wonder what sort of pubs you 'trib' to

With not the slightest offense of any sort I am also wondering 1. what it is that attracted you to a2k and 2. how long it took you to compose that posting

Presuming in the past you must have engaged other such sites, if it's no trouble, how would you compare 'em with a2k

Thanks Ed
If I seem intrusive I will understand if you don't respond
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2016 12:37 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Ed I note from your excellent profile (don't know why they're so rare) that you're a writer, as I considered myself in pre-'tire' days. So wonder what sort of pubs you 'trib' to

With not the slightest offense of any sort I am also wondering 1. what it is that attracted you to a2k and 2. how long it took you to compose that posting

Presuming in the past you must have engaged other such sites, if it's no trouble, how would you compare 'em with a2k

Thanks Ed

If I seem intrusive I will understand if you don't respond

I am the sort of writer that always seems to misfire with his compositions. I have self published a few things, but have no great publishing history. My current novel could change that. Likely it won't.

The only site I belonged to before a2k is the defunct Abuzz. This site was originally populated by Abuzz refugees, for the most. I am on Facebook, but I don't really like it.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2016 01:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
My current novel could change that. Likely it won't....I am the sort of writer that always seems to misfire
I had sent queries off to 50 pubs and only one wanted to see my ms but then didn't even acknowledge it

Quote:
Facebook, but I don't really like it
Me nuther. I applied but there was some sort of conflict. As I recall somebody off in the near east was using my name
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 06:24 am
@edgarblythe,
I haven't heard too much from Hillary, Trump kind of dominates the news and the rest of the political news is usually about Hillary's emails. In what ways has she been shifting more to the right in comparison to the primary?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 06:57 am
I am not going to go into it that much right now. But there is no word of protest from her as the president tries to muscle through TPP. The people she is putting on her staff are definitely not liberal leaning.
revelette2

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 07:13 am
@edgarblythe,
I haven't heard too much from her concerning the TPP. I never had such strong feelings one way or another about free trade deals. I also haven't been keeping up with who she is putting on her staff. Also, probably your idea of liberal leaning is different than mine.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 02:55 pm
Speaking of staff, it appears "Our Revolution" is off to a rocky start.

Bernie Sanders' new group is already in turmoil

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2017 10:20 am
Bernie in dialogue with the NAACP.
Who else is?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/24/politics/bernie-sanders-naacp-speech/index.html
I ❤️The Bern😏
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2017 10:24 am
Link to Our Revolution!!!