Considering an affair? Thoughts from the Other Woman.

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2016 11:46 am
Yes, I carried on a relationship with a married man. No, I wasn't an evil seductress who showed up to his office in skintight mini-skirts and plunging blouses, intentionally invading his thoughts until he had a moment of weakness. I am not here to justify anything, but rather to try to shed some light on a subject that people often think about but rarely have the nerve to ask about (and even if they do, rarely find anyone willing to admit to them that they've done it and share their experience). So here goes:

I met the man I thought I'd marry when I was 18. We were college freshman at the same school, and Ty was everything I'd ever dreamed of -- smart, witty, outgoing, kind, generous, thoughtful. He was adored by our peers, professors and parents. He was tall and fit and had gorgeous crystal blue eyes. He sent my heart a flutter when he asked to take me on a date.

I was terrified of relationships in ways I didn't understand back then. You know how, when you're in like first grade and a boy you like tried to hold your hand, you'd slap him because you were embarrassed or shy? It was like I never really got over that (minus the hitting). I got all awkward around boys the moment they expressed an interest. I didn't have much attention from men growing up. My dad worked out of state 75% of the year, so I got his attention in brief bursts, and my stepdad was an abuser who only spoke to me to make me feel inferior. I didn't necessarily think all men were like him (my real dad was great to me, just in small doses), but I did subconsciously develop this notion that I had to work really, really hard to make a good man love me and stay.

Ty was the first man who did. I must have turned him down 100 times before he got me to agree to dinner. I finally believed him, that he really did like me and this wasn't just a game, and from that point, I fell hard and fast. The next nine years were magical. He remained the boyfriend I always dreamed of -- showing up with flowers for no reason, asking me to dance in the middle of the coffee shop because our song was playing, winning over all my friends and family. He was the love of my life. I never doubted his feelings for me. I wasn't afraid to love him, though we'd agreed that neither of us was in a rush to the alter or anything.

But things were changing quickly for us during those years. We both graduated from college and were working our way up the ladder at our jobs. Our friends were all either engaged or married, many of them having babies and building houses. The fact that we weren't began to be a sore subject that we tried to avoid because we had no good reason for waiting. We were madly in love. Then he got offered a huge promotion out of state, and instead of proposing, he confessed: "I'd love for you to move with me, move in with me even, but the truth is I'm not sure I want to be married. Ever. To anyone. And I have even less desire to have kids. These things have just snuck up on me as I've watched our friends and realized that's not what I want our relationship to become."

My heart sank. The one man I thought would never abandon me, abandoned me. At least that's how it felt, even though we "mutually decided" that we wanted different things, and that we just couldn't fulfill each other's long-term desires anymore. I respected that at least he had the decency to tell me, rather than marry me out of obligation and wind up resenting me for it the rest of his life. I remained single for more than a year, not even entertaining a single date with another man after that. I had peace about the breakup with Ty, but I just hadn't met anyone else, and biological clock reminded me of this practically every waking hour. "You're 28. Just find someone already!"

That's when I met Jack. He worked in my office building and was well respected by everyone in his profession and the community. A successful, noble man who gives generously to charity and volunteers with children's homes on the weekends. I was new to the area, so when Jack offered to take me on a quick tour of the block, I was grateful just to have someone show hospitality. I did notice on our drive that he wasn't wearing a wedding band, but it was irrelevant really. He wasn't my type.

His eyes traced my curves. I wondered if he thought he was getting away with it, or if he wanted me to see him. I leaned in a little closer to him. I wasn't interested in a relationship with him, but I'm still a warm-blooded human who likes attention and affection. "I'll just tease him a tiny bit," I thought. "Just enough to hold his interest, but not enough to lead him on."

I thanked him for the tour when we arrived back at the office. He walked me to my car, and we said goodbye. No exchange of phone numbers. No further plans for drinks or dinner. No end-of-the-night kiss. Just "Thanks. See ya."

But we kept running into each other, and each time, I noticed I enjoyed the attention just a little more than the last. And each time, I'd compromise just a little more than the last time to hold his interest -- first a glance, then a smile, next a quick touch of his hand while I laughed at one of his corny jokes. Eventually, he got my number. I was nervous because I'd done this dance before. Suddenly, I wasn't sure I was ready for a new boyfriend.

"Let's go slow," I ordered. "No titles. No announcement to our colleagues. Just me and you, getting to know each other, figuring things out privately."

He agreed to my rules. He liked me that much.

We went to lunch. We held hands. We eventually even kissed. But we weren't spending the night or making plans to meet each others' families. This was a safe distance for me. I was happy. He lit up when I entered the room, and vice versa, and eventually our co-workers began gently acknowledging that they knew with statements like, "I didn't put you or Jack down for a plus one tonight. I assume the two of you will be coming together?"

We were "coming out" at a good speed, I felt like, and I was ready to have the Define the Relationship talk. He worked out of town at his larger office most weekends, so I'd decided to speak to him when he returned on Monday. That plan was destroyed when I overheard colleagues gossiping in the bathroom about how "Jack's really become an introvert since he moved back in with his wife. She must really be a nag about who he speaks to."

I wanted to believe they were confused, that Jack was divorced just as he told me. It seemed impossible that our relationship could be so open and that our colleagues referred to us as an item if they knew he was married. On the other hand, part of me couldn't deny that I'd made things all too convenient for him by allowing him by enforcing my 'rules' for no spend the nights, no official titles, no lavish dates. Was it possible he was just letting me think I'd made those rules, when in fact they were his?

I was suspicious, but doubtful. I casually mentioned it to him, as if I were laughing it off. He didn't laugh. He looked like he was going to be sick, like he was busted. But then he sat down beside me, flashed that charming grin and said, "You know who I want," while cupping my face in his hands. Then he caressed my arm and kissed me tenderly. Maybe I just wanted to believe it badly, but whatever. It felt true.

This persisted for months. Late night texting. Sex in strange places. Dates in the middle of the day. It wasn't really all I wanted anymore -- I wanted all of him -- but I kept waiting for him to ask me. I was insecure in that way. I always needed men to be initiators, and to be persistent. He never did. Finally, I sent him a text one night, "I want you, but I want more." I thought this would send us on a path to a serious relationship. His reply was, "Oh. I didn't know." What the hell? You actually thought I would be okay with this and only this forever?

And so we had that gut-wrenching, heart-twisting talk. For six hours, we ended things. We talked on the phone for the entire six hours, both idling in hopes that the other would bend. I went back to that conversation with Ty, the one where we ended a damn near perfect relationship because we wanted different things. In some ways, those are the worst endings because you both still want each other. I wasn't prepared for another goodbye like that, where we're both still holding on. I decided I could handle this. "Let's try your way, and if I meet someone else who's willing to give me what you want, you have to let me go."

Of course he agreed. It was a stupid proposition on my part. No man's going to commit to me while I'm haphazardly holding on to someone else. This was a perfect scenario for Jack. He got to keep me, and he didn't have to back away from his conviction to remain a bachelor whatsoever.

About a year and a half into our relationship -- still no commitment or titles, by the way -- I began to hear rumors again, people speaking of seeing Jack and the wife out together. This time, I decided to dig deeper, and thanks to Facebook, it wasn't hard. He doesn't have an account, but she did. It was void of any pictures of him or posts about him or anything, so I thought that was my answer.

More than six months later (a total of about a year and a half into the relationship), I'm going mad. I'm crazy about this guy, and still not getting all that I want from him. He's obviously into me. I can tell. He's the one who initiates all our dates, all our encounters, phone calls, everything. I'm not forcing his hand. But it's getting old, wanting more and never getting it. I begin to wonder if he's not over his divorce or something. I don't know why, but I begin to obsess over it, until I finally look her up again on Facebook.

There's a baby in the picture. Best I can gather, the baby's around 2 or 3 months old. She still has his last name. In one of the pictures, I can't say for sure, but it looks like she's in his house. I become physically sick, and wind up having to leave work. Who is this man I've been sleeping with? Has he really kept something that monumental from me? I'm horrified. I'm ready to end it, but my friends who know me well remind me that I don't communicate effectively when I'm this angry. They tell me to take a day or two to chill before I go out in a fury. They're right. Even if he's the one who screwed me over, I know me well enough to know I'll feel guilty if I get too harsh. I need to cool.

This is where it gets confusing for people who've never found themselves in a predicament like this. "I'd change my number, block him from email, tell his wife and ever speak to his sorry ass again." It's not that easy. For one, there's never been concrete evidence. Only traces of what may or may not be. And my heart, still desperately in love with this man, wants to believe he is who I've always thought he was. But even if he isn't, even if he's cheating and that is in fact his baby, do I expose him and sabotage his family at a time like this?

I agonize for days. It isn't uncommon for us to go a few days without speaking, and this just so happened to be one of those times. I lose 10 lbs. I vomit repeatedly when I try to keep anything down. I am on the verge of depression. How do I let him go? And then he calls, and because my heart is nowhere near as sophisticated as my brain, it rejoices because it still thinks this is a good thing. Like a Pavlovian experiment, the sight of his name lighting up my phone sends excitement through my body instantaneously. I smile. My heart races.

I am at a crossroads now. I recognize that this man can't and won't give me what I need. And even if he did, if he's abandoning his wife and child to do so, what kind of victory would that be? I'd be inflicting my hurt on someone else, leaving his children with the same issues that have plagued me by the absence of a male role model during my own childhood. The curse must be lifted, the cycle stopped. But it isn't easy. Head knowledge and heart knowledge are not even close to the same thing.

As with death, it isn't natural to know the exact time of your own heartbreak, to be the one who has to pull the trigger on it. So I keep waiting, keep prolonging the inevitable, because I'm overwhelmed with anxious thoughts, knowing that once that trigger is pulled, there's no turning back. Strange as it may sound, I don't regret Jack. I can't. But I do hate that this relationship has turned out to be what it is, what it always was without my knowing.

If you're someone on the fence about becoming the Other Man/Woman, heed my advice. You'll convince yourself you can control your feelings, but you can't. This will take you down. You'll be left feeling emptier than ever, wondering if you even deserve a "real" relationship or if karma will in fact serve you a large dish of revenge some day when you're scrolling through future husband's phone one day to learn he's been having a fling.

If you're a married man/woman considering an affair, I beg you not to be selfish. You're getting everything you need to fill your emotional and physical voids at the expense of others' emotional and mental health. They will be broken when they realize what's happening. Devastated. Left feeling inferior, wondering why they weren't enough. You know deep down that it's you -- that YOU are the one who needs fixing -- but they don't and won't understand that for a long time. It will affect their future relationships and ability to trust. If monogamy isn't your thing, be a Ty. Don't conform because you feel like you have to. Be honest with your partner, and let the cards fall where they may. Perhaps your partner will support an open relationship, or they'll release you to find someone else who will.

And if you're the betrayed spouse, remember there are 2 sides. Remember who was responsible for fighting for your relationship. Nobody would blame you for feeling resentment toward the object of your partner's affection, but remember that person didn't coerce them into this. They wanted it, fought for it even. Women in particular can be so mean to each other; try your best to forgive, to understand that this person may feel betrayed and be hurting just like you.

And to trolls, nope, I didn't handle the situation perfectly. Could've walked away when the red flags started popping up. I'm not blameless, and I admit that. I don't need you to feel sorry for me. But relationships of any kind are never blameless, and I ask you to consider before you bash hurting affair partners (or even their unfaithful counterparts) that perhaps this were just normal, nice people who made a bad decision, as all of us have at some time or another.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,247 • Replies: 10
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2016 12:08 pm
@takenotes,
takenotes wrote:

... Finally, I sent him a text one night, "I want you, but I want more." I thought this would send us on a path to a serious relationship. His reply was, "Oh. I didn't know." What the hell? You actually thought I would be okay with this and only this forever?

Of course he was okay with it. It was freakin' awesome so far as he was concerned.

Stop making excuses for him.

takenotes wrote:
...There's a baby in the picture. Best I can gather, the baby's around 2 or 3 months old. She still has his last name. In one of the pictures, I can't say for sure, but it looks like she's in his house. I become physically sick, and wind up having to leave work. Who is this man I've been sleeping with? Has he really kept something that monumental from me? I'm horrified. I'm ready to end it, but my friends who know me well remind me that I don't communicate effectively when I'm this angry. They tell me to take a day or two to chill before I go out in a fury. They're right. Even if he's the one who screwed me over, I know me well enough to know I'll feel guilty if I get too harsh. I need to cool.

And so you were supposed to back off then. Seriously. Yes, you admit wrongdoing in your post. You want to admit some willful blindness as well, while you're at it?

takenotes wrote:
This is where it gets confusing for people who've never found themselves in a predicament like this. "I'd change my number, block him from email, tell his wife and ever speak to his sorry ass again." It's not that easy. For one, there's never been concrete evidence.

That concrete evidence burps and cries and wears diapers. He was not cheating on you. He was cheating on her.

She is his wife and they get to sleep together, and to have a family if they so choose.

This is where you stop lying to yourself and admit it was dumb and self-destructive. And that you ignored the truth right in front of you.

I am sure you are an intelligent person. You're probably sensible about lots of things. But you let it all fall down here.

Go get some counseling. Your post is probably not the catharsis you think it is, and it's probably not the warning you want it to be, either.

Anyway, talk to an impartial professional observer and tell them your story. And talk to them about self-esteem, and about how to put the brakes on this kind of stuff.

I am sorry this happened to you.

Time to stop cutting this cheater all the slack you've got and instead give it yourself. Time for you to heal.
takenotes

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2016 12:29 pm
@jespah,
Willful blindness -- yes, that too. I thought I'd made it clear that I didn't want to know, but if there was some confusion, yes I own that I didn't want to believe it so badly that I ignore some signs that things weren't adding up.

You're calling the baby concrete evidence. The problem is I never had reason to say with certainty that it's his. Still don't. I've just finally reached a point where it doesn't matter, because either way, I can't go on always wondering. Not about something this huge.

And I am in therapy.

Thank you.

0 Replies

Medusax

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2016 06:14 pm
@takenotes,
As a veteran of a cheater, the only time the "other woman" needs "understanding" is if she honestly didn't know the man was involved.
Bandersnatch

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 03:20 am
@Medusax,
I concur, and it goes for the other guy too. I went over to what used to be my house to pick up my son and the a-hole was there and actually thought I would shake his hand just because it had been a while. This is a guy whom I had considered a friend; not a close friend but still a friend. I had even given him my second laptop at one point because I determined I didn't like the feel of the keyboard and he really couldn't afford a computer. Some people don't have a clue.
0 Replies

Eley

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 02:41 pm
Takenotes, did you ever go to Jack's place? You said when you looked at his supposed wife's Facebook page, your saw that she was in his house. So you recognized his house? Had you ever been or you just knew it through pictures he had shown you?

A guy not taking you to his home is a huge red flag, especially if you had been dating for while, even your co-workers knew you both as a couple.

Secondly, why didn't you out right ask Jack "Are you married? Is your wife pregnant with your child?"

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 03:24 pm
@takenotes,
You made some good points but there were Two things that don't wash.

1. Other than the initial possible deception of not wearing the ring (some people don't like wearing jewelry) , you knew during the 18 months that Jack was married and yet you felt betrayed when his wife had a child. Maybe he wanted children as badly as you.

2. Unless you left something out, there was nothing in your post to indicate that Ty was not monogamous, yet You implied that he wasn't. Just because a guy doesn't want marriage or children doesn't mean he's a polygamist.

What did you leave out that explains these things?

takenotes

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 11:37 am
@Eley,
I did go to his house, actually. Early in our relationship, we spent a great deal of time there before I told him I'd prefer we start staying at my place. It was in the city, closer to both our jobs, and it made sense versus driving the long haul back to his place. I don't have an explanation for how he managed that. I don't have an explanation for a lot of things, in fact.

Why didn't I ask? Fear of how ludicrous it might sound; I couldn't imagine him asking me that after all this time, as if he wouldn't have known. Also, fear of the truth, I think, subconsciously.
takenotes

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 11:40 am
@Leadfoot,
I don't really think I understand your questions well enough to answer them. I didn't mean to imply that Ty was incapable of a monogamous relationship, only that he wasn't interested in marriage or children. Ty was a phenomenal man. He and I just wanted different things.
0 Replies

Tiger81

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 11:42 am
@takenotes,
My friend's husband cheated on her, in their home, for several years. They stayed at the house when she and their son were out of town, which was pretty often. In this case, the OW knew he was married, but if she hadn't, just by them staying at the house, she would not have.
0 Replies

Eliusa

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 06:49 pm
@Eley,
I don't have fb neither is he. Where do I look?
0 Replies