Smoke From A Distant Fire

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 11:49 am
I am happily married with a son. Years ago, however, I had an incredible affair with the woman who I still consider the love of my life. There was never an official breakup, but we separated "temporarily" and that became permanent., though neither of us expected that. Years went by and she moved and I moved...That was 1974, mind you.
A month ago, her father died. I saw the obituary and wanted to go to the wake, but couldn't because I had to go to my neice's wedding in Maine. I didn't think she cared. She called me at work a few days after the funeral and left a voicemail message, saying that her mother wondered where I was. She asked me to call her mother to express my consoldences. I did that, though it seemed an odd request. Then, she called again and got me. She began to ask me to call her mother again, and I told her I did. She suddenly switched tones and we had a one-hour, happy talk.
Now all this has me off the rails. I need some perspective.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 502 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 12:29 pm
Let me get this straight...you are "happily married with a son" and want advice on what to do with a 30 year old affair?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 12:56 pm
Saranac--

Grief does funny things to people. Your Ex's Mother probably has you slotted in with her memories of happier days and wondered aloud about you.

Your Ex was also curious--and perhaps she wanted an intermission from her mother's grief.

Period. Keep your brief reunion as another treasured, private memory and remember your marriage vows--which I presume were made with a whole heart, without reservations.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 01:45 pm
I agree with Noddy. Forget about her.
0 Replies