Heads or Tails?

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:14 am
I'm stumped. Anyone have any idea why we say 'heads or tails?' rather than 'head or tail?' when flipping a coin?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,100 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:53 am
You have me curious.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 02:27 pm
Offhand, I'd say alliteration, ease of speech...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 02:30 pm
'Head or tail' I suppose is technically correct, given the singularity of each side of a coin, but 'heads or tails' is common parlance. It's idiomatic, like much of the English language.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 02:38 pm
Perhaps originally three coins were flipped together so the gods would speak more clearly?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 06:07 pm
It is a puzzle shared by many.

Quote:
When a coin is tossed, we know there are two possible outcomes: heads or tails. Don't ask why we use the plural form. Anyway, either outcome is equally likely. Over many tosses, the number of heads and the number of tails will be about the same.
http://monkey.cs.kent.edu/~xlai/kimpton/proba_coin.html?index=/~xlai/kimpton/proba_index.html&indexname=Probability+index

Why has it used the plural form? It is like asking why Mr.Micawber used the pural form of verb "have" as he said "Anyone have any idea why we say 'heads or tails?' "

One of the possibilities is that it sounds better than the singular form does. If you put your fate in God's hands, you would be more romantic than being scientific. Fable usually inspires poetic licences.

Just my two cents.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:36 pm
Or the original coin had several heads and several tails?

Or each party to the wager/gamble had a coin and the results only counted when both coins came up heads--or both coins came up tails?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:48 pm
And a nice 2 cents Ori
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:52 pm
http://www.spiralandcircle.com/jeero.jpg
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:24 pm
Technically coins don't even have tails at all.
0 Replies

Mister Micawber

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:59 am
No, they have obverses and reverses.

...And my sentence is an elliptical 'Does anyone have any idea why we say 'heads or tails?', Oristar.

... and--- what in HECK is that thing, Gus, and what message does it carry? I can make neither head nor tail of it; I'm a new boy 'round here.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 01:16 am
maybe from the 'best of 3' versions of flipping a coin?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 10:21 am
Okay, MM.

Someone guessed that the origin of "heads or tails" might be an old game, in which two or more coins were used in a toss .
0 Replies

loca4micristo

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 02:32 pm
Heads or Tails?
There was an Indian head on one side and a buffalo on the other side: thus, heads (Indian head) and tails (Buffalo's tail end). Or.......a quarter has Washington's head on one side and an eagle with tail feathers on the other.
0 Replies