When feelings get in the way...

el pohl

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 12:23 am
I don't know folks. Im young and maybe im taking things very seriously here...

Currently Im having a nice 3 month old relationship. We say that we love each other, and though I feel that im being honest with that, I yet don't know for sure (some day I will). But, the point is... can feelings for someone get in the way of your personal achievements? Im talking academical, economical, laboral stuff.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 557 • Replies: 3
No top replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 02:09 am
Re: When feelings get in the way...
el_pohl wrote:
But, the point is... can feelings for someone get in the way of your personal achievements? Im talking academical, economical, laboral stuff.

Huh? Confused
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 02:28 am
Sure they can. Time spent with a loved one can detract from time spent going to night school, putting in unpaid overtime at work to get that project finished, or that book you've been meaning to write.

On the other hand, time spent having fun doesn't get you ahead in this world.

The problem is having the proper balance between the two.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 05:16 am
el_pohl- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

I think that you are asking a very wise question. A young person needs to think of, and prepare for, the future. Whether that means finishing school, or starting on a career, the young adult's focus needs to be for the long haul.

Many times, relationships get in the way of a person's larger goal. By you writing this thread, I am concluding that your relationship has become the centerpiece of your life, possibly to the detriment of school and/or career.

Quote:
We say that we love each other, and though I feel that im being honest with that, I yet don't know for sure (some day I will).

I think that you are questioning whether the cost of this relationship is worth it. You say you love each other, but you don't really know for sure. Yet it sounds like the relationship is impacting adversely on other parts of your life, parts that may make a big difference in your future.

As Jim wisely says, "keep a balance". Don't allow this relationship to undermine your long term goals. One of the signs of maturity is to be able to maintain that balance. You don't want to derail a future because of some relationship that may just be a pleasant memory in the future. Good luck!
0 Replies