What the Democrats Don't Understand

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 09:48 am
So much anger was prompted by Zell Miller"s speech at the Republican National Convention; so much anger, and so much adoration. Most of it focused on his point-by-point recitation of John Kerry"s defense voting record in his 20 years of being a U.S. Senator, not to mention his cynical joke about spitballs.

When Chris Matthews, host of MSNBC"s Hardball, tried to target Miller, leveling accusations in his interview and refusing to give him a chance to respond, Miller"s infamous challenge of a duel only increased his stature further in the eyes of the red half of the country, and made him look even more deranged in the eyes of the blue half.

In the midst of all of Zell"s righteous anger was one line, one brilliant line that went unnoticed not only in the entire media response to his speech, but by the convention-goers themselves, for whom this line was partially swallowed by enthusiastic cheering.

That line goes as follows: 'It is not their patriotism, but their judgment, that is so sorely lacking.' This one line encapsulates the Republican view of John Kerry"s voting record. It encapsulates everything that is wrong with Kerry"s faltering campaign. It encapsulates everything that has been wrong with Democratic protestations over the past three years.

The Democrats fail to realize this, but not one right-wing statesman has tried to accuse their party of being 'unpatriotic.' They whine and complain about it all the time, claiming that right-wingers try and paint them as being Communist, in league with terrorists, and 'America-haters.' But the truth is that such statements are found only in the realm of far-right radio show hosts, not in that of legitimate politicians.

Republican spokesmen limit themselves to attacking specifics. They attack Ted Kennedy"s history of voting to slash defense and intelligence funds. They attack John Kerry"s history of failing to show up to Senate Intelligence Committee meetings, even after Sept. 11, 2001. They attack President Clinton"s history of ignoring the growing threat of terror during eight years of presidential complacency. But not once have they ever described these people as being unpatriotic. This is because, under the official view of the Republican Party, it is not the Democrats" patriotism, but their judgment, that is so sorely lacking.

Yet the Kerry campaign, along with so many Democrats who ran for--and lost--legislative seats in the 2002 election, fails to realize this. They whine; they make speeches and waste interviews complaining that the Republican attack machine paints them as 'unpatriotic.'

But they fail to realize that, in the public eye, this simply isn"t true. While Michael Savage and Rush Limbaugh might make these accusations on a daily basis, the American public has never--and will never--attribute those statements to President Bush or Vice President Cheney. The majority of the American public doesn"t even listen to Michael Savage and Rush Limbaugh, whose target demographics consist solely of the choir.

In other words, in the eye of the American public, John Kerry keeps insisting he isn"t unpatriotic without anybody"s ever claiming the contrary. In the eye of the American public, John Kerry"s protestations do not differ greatly from Richard Nixon"s famous 'I am not a crook' or Bill Clinton"s 'I did not have sexual relations with that woman.' In all cases, the repeated denials only serve to reinforce the public"s perception that the accusations are true.

In this case, if John Kerry wants to have any chance of winning, he has to do two things. First, he must seek to provide a satisfactory explanation to the public for his horrendous Senate voting record and abysmal attendance record at the Senate Intelligence meetings. And I mean an explanation: no sidestepping, and no claiming that these charges 'attack his patriotism.'

Second, he must lay off the 'patriotism' bit, especially the part where he tries in vain to attack the patriotism of the Republicans. It makes him look petty when he attempts to explain away his Senate record by trying to resurrect the Bush Air National Guard 'scandal.' Such insults make it look like the Kerry campaign is trying to avoid Kerry"s own Senate history with childish posturing of 'Well, I"m more patriotic than you, so there!'

Remember the mistakes of Max Cleland. You can"t run only on your Vietnam service; not when you have a voting history that voters don"t like and constantly question. You can"t win an election on patriotism. Not when your judgment is being called into question.

link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,625 • Replies: 35
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 09:56 am
This article was obviously written for the party faithful to make themselves feel better.

Zell Miller was frothing at the mouth.
Republicans have also tried to trim the immense defense budget when necessary.
Nobody's whining, but it helps the macho conservative position to paint the left as whiners. There's nothing wrong with Kerry's judgment -- but an investigation of Bush's record might reveal many misjudgments, especially regarding terrorism.
Rabid right wing radio is where many rank and file republicans get their political beliefs. You can't tell me that they are making any distinction between what Rush and Savage say and what they think their Republican leaders stand for.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:40 pm
interesting when compared to the reaction from the right to al gore's so called "shrillness".

not to mention that, it came to me that the people that called it that, apparently had never heard a southern preacher in the spirit.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:41 pm
For a party that supports what miller did, the admin sure distanced themselves from him quick enough - less than a day.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:46 pm
Miller functions as the Swift Boatsmen do. They all do the dirty work, while Bush quietly reaps the benefits. He can politely ignore them.

Does anyone think Miller gave that speech without the approval of Rove? We know better than that...
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:52 pm
Demonstrative anger never plays well once analyzed. Lest we forget Howard Dean.

We love it in our sports figures but not our politicians.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:58 pm
Zell might have been paid by Pat Caddell to make that speech.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:09 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Does anyone think Miller gave that speech without the approval of Rove? We know better than that...

i'm not too sure that even cheney dare make a move without rove's blessing.

the great and powerful oz?
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:47 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Miller functions as the Swift Boatsmen do. They all do the dirty work, while Bush quietly reaps the benefits. He can politely ignore them.

Just like Al Gore, Ted Kennedy, Michael Moore, and others do the dirty work for Kerry while he reaps all the benefits. Like Bush, Kerry can politely ignore them.

Although I was puzzled by Moore's sitting in the presidential box at the Dem's convention.

Does anyone think Al Gore makes a move without the approval of Terry Mcauliffe. We know better then that...

See?

Bottom line is that the Dems lost both houses of congress and the presidency because most people do not like their message. Picking Kerry as their nominee was another stupid move, and I believe most thinking Americans know he was picked as the Dems 'warrior', with Vietnam service that would trump Bush.

I think the Dems would have been a lot better off staying truer to their principals and going with Dean. Kerry has too much Senate baggage......
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:50 pm
Actually, ALV, I don't think that Gore needs anyone's approval these days. I just read a long article about him the New Yorker. It's obvious that, for the first time in many years, he does what he wants and says what he wants, because no one pays that much attention to him...
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:53 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
i'm not too sure that even cheney dare make a move without rove's blessing.

the great and powerful oz?

I'm not too sure that even Edwards dare make a move with out McAuliffe's blessing.

The great and powerful Oz?

Notice how easily it can go both ways? Although Rove and McAuliffe are in different roles for their party (who is Kerry's campaign guy anyway? This week?) they serve the same purpose. I think McAuliffe actually has more power in the Dem party, as he runs the whole thing.....
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:54 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Actually, ALV, I don't think that Gore needs anyone's approval these days. I just read a long article about him the New Yorker. It's obvious that, for the first time in many years, he does what he wants and says what he wants, because no one pays that much attention to him...

Hmmm. Well, if you are correct on Gore, thanks for agreeing with me about Moore and Kennedy..... Very Happy
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:55 pm
What has Kennedy done that is on par with the swifties?
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:23 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
What has Kennedy done that is on par with the swifties?

Dem National Convention:

"In the depths of the Depression, Franklin Roosevelt inspired the nation when he said, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." Today, we say the only thing we have to fear is four more years of George Bush."

"Now it is our turn to take up the cause. Our struggle is not with some monarch named George who inherited the crown. Although it often seems that way."

"Our struggle is with the politics of fear and favoritism in our own time, in our own country. Our struggle, like so many others before, is with those who put their own narrow interest ahead of the public interest."

MSNBC: (I highlighted the Kennedy part, although it's fun to read about the rest of the Dem slime machine, isn't it?)

The Associated Press
Updated: 11:57 a.m. ET July 28, 2004BOSTON -

No Bush-bashing, the memo said. No way, some Democrats replied.

Eager to take President Bush head-on, they have found the convention's go-positive strategy easier to understand than to heed.

Donna Brazile is one. Al Gore's former campaign manager received written instructions from John Kerry's campaign to keep the nominating convention focused on the candidate, not the Republican incumbent.

"Being a Christian woman, I called them and said, 'Lord, have mercy, I cannot hold my tongue. What am I going to do?"' she said.

Bite your tongue, she was told.

Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano laughed at the thought. "She must have calluses," the governor said.

They were not the only Democrats champing at the bit, struggling to walk that fine line between going too hard on Bush and being too soft.

"Let Kerry and Edwards be the good cops," Rep. Jesse Jackson, D-Ill., told Louisiana delegates. "But we'll be fighting in the streets." Later, Jackson said he was talking about political warfare waged on behalf of Kerry and running mate John Edwards.

Bringing that fight indoors would upset Kerry's image machine, including a team of writers who rounded off the rough edges of every convention speech:

Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., denounced "this misguided war in Iraq." Not quite like calling it "fraud made up in Texas," as Kennedy did 11 months ago.

Former Kerry rival Howard Dean spoke of a foreign policy "that relies on telling the truth to the American people." He did not mention Bush by name nor directly accuse him of lying, diplomatic niceties that Dean has never before extended to the incumbent.
Al Gore, who once said Bush had "twisted values and atrocious policies" on Iraq, mildly accused the president of "confusing al-Qaida with Iraq."
It was all part of Kerry's strategy to appeal to independent voters, most of whom tell pollsters they're turned off by negative politics.

Attacking the president would galvanize the 4,000-plus delegates in Boston and hard-core Democrats elsewhere. But Kerry's team has determined that the base is already united against the White House. What's needed are the independent undecideds.

The strategy received mixed reviews from the delegates.

"There's just no venom, no spewing," Tim Sullivan of Wisconsin said. "We can deliver the same message, just not come across as vile."

"I'm a little uncertain about the tactic," said Rod Halvorson of Minnesota. "I think it's important to draw the strong distinction between George Bush and John Kerry."

Many delegates said they understand Kerry's rationale, even if they can't always abide by it.

"We're trying to be more positive because I see a trend that people are not tolerable to negative campaigns," said Craig Bland, a state lawmaker from Missouri.

As for Brazile, she told Louisiana delegates all the reasons why they should help elect Kerry. Then, while leaving the room, Gore's former aide said the harness comes off with the sounding of the closing gavel.

"Three more days," she said, "and I'm free."

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Chigago Sun-Times:

A few top Dems don't heed advice on Bush-bashing

July 28, 2004

BY LYNN SWEET WASHINGTON BUREAU CHIEF Advertisement

In his speech last night, Massachusetts Sen. Edward Kennedy called President Bush, not by name, "a divider who only claims to be a uniter.'' He talked about a "monarch named George who inherited the crown.''

Subtle he is not.

Me here....

That was about ten minutes of web surfing, just going back to the Dem convention.

I could go back a bit further if you would like?

I guess you don't agree with me about Kennedy, but thanks for agreeing with me about Gore and Moore!

Anyway, I was hoping that Tread and D'artagnan would notice I was parroting what they were saying, with the Repub's favorite Dems replacing the Dem's favorite Repubs in their post? Guess I need to be clearer?
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 05:59 pm
You may love anger in sports figures.

I don't.

But what is worse than anger is a hidden violence done with the coldness of the well seasoned butcher. Hide what is being done in our name, hide the chain of command for more and more atrocities.

We sympathize with the Soviets who were subjected to violence against women and children. We have a blind spot for the collateral damage that we have done. We only kill women and children accidentally.

And we have a PR rap to accompany it and clean up the truth.

A little anger and righteous indignation like the Dean Scream is welcome in the face of that.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:37 am
A Lone Voice wrote:
Me here....

That was about ten minutes of web surfing, just going back to the Dem convention.

I could go back a bit further if you would like?

All I get from this is that the Democrats made a concerted effort not to attack Bush. What Kennedy said in his speech pales in comparison to what many Republicans said in their speeches. I'll leave you to google to see what. It all seems pretty tame to me. If Kennedy had stood up and said that Bush was a drug addict who went AWOL I might be on your side on this one.

Quote:

I guess you don't agree with me about Kennedy, but thanks for agreeing with me about Gore and Moore!

No, not really, but someone already piped up about Gore and I already know the righty talking points about Moore.

Quote:

Anyway, I was hoping that Tread and D'artagnan would notice I was parroting what they were saying, with the Repub's favorite Dems replacing the Dem's favorite Repubs in their post? Guess I need to be clearer?

I caught that. But you have to admit that McCauliffe doesn't enjoy the same dirty tricks reputation as Rove.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 02:12 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

I caught that. But you have to admit that McCauliffe doesn't enjoy the same dirty tricks reputation as Rove.

Good points, Duck, but re your last sentence: this is a good example of the division between the electorate this year. McAuliffe is just as despised on the right as Rove is on the left. To Dems and libs, of course McAuliffe doesn't enjoy the same reputation as Rove. But to Repubs and conservatives, Rove doesn't enjoy the same dirty tricks reputation as McAuliffe.

What makes it worse for righties is McAuliffe's position as head of the DNC. Rove, after all, is just a campaign puke. McAuliffle, on the other hand, runs the whole Dem Party.......
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 02:20 pm
That's interesting. You're right, I didn't know that the right even cared about McAuliffe. So what kind of dirty tricks is McAuliffe known for?
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 02:54 pm
padmasambava wrote:
You may love anger in sports figures.

I don't.

But what is worse than anger is a hidden violence done with the coldness of the well seasoned butcher. Hide what is being done in our name, hide the chain of command for more and more atrocities.

We sympathize with the Soviets who were subjected to violence against women and children. We have a blind spot for the collateral damage that we have done. We only kill women and children accidentally.

And we have a PR rap to accompany it and clean up the truth.

A little anger and righteous indignation like the Dean Scream is welcome in the face of that.

I love it in my politicans too -- but I'm not most people. In a game where perception is everything they need to keep an even keel.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:10 pm
A great deal of acting ability is necessary to make a politician.

I also suspect that to be a really great leader who brings out the best in us and to make us be a majority is harder to do than to become a successful populist who panders to the lowest common denominators.

That would refer to all the superficial things in the social rubric that make a person presentable. Having a warlike tendency seems to be part of this. People who I refer to as 21st century doughboys seem to fit the description.

They are not well educated. They aren't wealthy. If they have a relationship with a Ken Lay or the like it will be as a local building contractor, not as race track tout or the usual lout whom one might associate with the more traditional mob.

These guys are middling white bread heavy metal types. The attack on Howard Stern almost makes them nervous. But these are comfortable hypocrites who possess a skill to live with their own paradox with an ease that baffles a more radical person like me.

For people like me, the issue is how long will business remain slow. But for a more sophisticated republican it's a matter of thumbing their noses as the educated and working classes, and flexing their power knowing that they are working for the Ghost in the Machine.

And their work is "authorized." What do they do. Do they come here on coffee break or are they hired goons?

For such as these, It would be a sort of foregone conclusion that the territorial imperative is a plum to be plucked - even when it later proves to be a hunk of sewett well worked by birds and bats. It still will be sold as a plum.

This sort of pandering thrives best in an atmosphere of suspicion and fear. It takes a certain sort of mind to still insist that WMD will appear in Iraq. What are their numbers?

What the Republicans don't understand, is that we know you quite well and if we have to subsist another four years as a minority it will be a period of feasting for satyrists and comics like you have never witnessed.

Prepare to laugh if the republicans don't all disappear in a storm surge and you manage to eek out a win.

I hope you don't.

I plan to vote for John Kerry
Neither he or his supporters has flinched yet.
I'll wait for the election to see who didn't know what.

And there's next week's poll too.
And the one after that. . .
0 Replies