What are the differences between these sentences?

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 08:12 am
In English, it seems there are many ways of saying the same thing, and all of them sound equally fluent, but is it just that there are little differences differentiating sentences that seem to say the exact, same thing?

The meeting commenced at 7 in the morning,

but he didn't know that.
but he didn't know it.
but he didn't know this.

Does changing the last word alter the meaning, even if only subtly?

I'm probably thinking too hard about this, as usual, but I tend to the more and more I study English.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 523 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 08:24 am
@perennialloner,
These are subtle differences but there are certainly differences.

This - usually denotes something close by or really specific. E. g. This is my mother. This is the best ice cream.
That - usually denotes something farther away but not necessarily out of sight. It's still specific. E. g. That is my History teacher over there. That is one big octopus!
It - this is a genderless pronoun, but it has a lot of other uses. In the example you gave, you're using the term as a (I believe) part of the predicate. Distance doesn't matter. E. g. I like it. He ate all of it.

Sorry English is so confusing! We have an awfully odd language; a lot of that is because of people bringing it from place to place and then mixing with local cultures and languages. You're doing great! Smile
dalehileman

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 11:43 am
@perennialloner,
Thanks to Jes above

Sure, Loner, English must be tough for the esl. Having spent my lifetime on and off in Journ, still I can't always answer (or even approach) such q's
0 Replies

kency123

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2016 02:13 pm
@jespah,
But the good thing is, you don't need a pronoun at all! You can just say
"The meeting commenced at 7, but he didn't know."

The emphasis is less strong, making it sound like just an observation rather than stressing something negative had happened.
0 Replies