Type of Diabetics

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 02:40 pm
Edit: Moderator: Moved from Forum Help to Medical News

Hi, this is a first time i joined this. I just found out am diabetic and I am 50 years old. It runs in the family.. So i became the first one in the family.
What is the different the type 1 and type 2... I don't understand those types of diabetics.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 497 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 02:51 pm
This will probably be moved th health and medical, or something like that. Actually, I was wondering why this subject never came up, before.

Type I results from the inability of the pancreas to produce insulin. It normally occurs at a very early age, must be supported with insulin, and so far as I can tell, is 100% genetic in nature.

Type II is a result of the cells of the body resisting the action of insulin. Maybe you have heard the term "insulin resistance." Anyway, sometimes it can be controlled by exercise and diet, often with a variety of medications, which may include insulin, but often doesn't.

I highly recommend Gretchen Becker's book, "The First Year, Type 2 Diabetes." Also, David Mendosa has an incredibly informative series of news letters on his web site. I can dig out the web site adddress if you would like.

You lucky devil, Southpaw. Maybe people used to tell you to get a hobby. Now, you can tell them you already have one - maintaining diabetes can occupy more of your time than you would ever believe.

I was diagnosed with type II in March of this year, by the way. If nothing else, it has been a learning experience.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 02:53 pm
Southpaw53- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

If you are 50, and have never had diabetes, I must assume that you have Type II.

http://www.diabetes.org/type-2-diabetes.jsp

Type ! diabetes is first diagnosed in kids and young adults:

http://www.diabetes.org/type-1-diabetes.jsp

People who have Type I diabetes must take insulin. With Type II, it may be controlled with diet, sometimes oral medication, and rarely, injectable insulin.

The main thing to keep the diabetes under control is to keep your sugar low, by staying away from the sweet stuff, and taking off weight.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 03:01 pm
If Southpaw comes back, I can point her to a pretty fair glycemic index. Not sweets, per se, but most carbohydrates. By the way, I can lower a blood glucose reading by as much as 80 points in thirty minutes of exercise. I do not use medication.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 03:31 pm
I'm a type II, and I used to date a type I. Just think, if we'd been married, we might have had the pitter-patter of little one-and-halfs running around.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 04:16 pm
I was recently diagnosed with type II diabetes, and the oral medication has been a nightmare. I did not react to it well at all. So far, diet and exercise are the best things for me, and I'm not in an extreme danger zone regarding my glucose levels. I find that eating small portions, about 5 times a day is a good way to eat, to keep the metabolism up. No simple carbs, white flour or refined sugars, lots of vegetables and lean protein, and some fruit in moderation, plus at least 30 minutes a day of some sort of exercise. I mix up brisk long walks and light weights. Eventually, when I'm a bit stronger, I hope to get into something more vigorous. I'll probably start my martial arts basics exercises again.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:59 am
I have a diabetic cat, I dunno if cats have diabetes types. I do know that as overwhelming as it all seems right now, you'll learn everything you need to know in short order and become an expert.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 12:48 pm
Like I say, who needs hobbies?
0 Replies