Tippy-Toe Through The Tulips! HUH?

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 01:29 pm
I have noticed in my short time here on A2K that people have to tip-toe around, because of fear of the "big bad" moderator? I can just read it in the posts at how fearful people are, at not rocking the boat. People are really not expressing their true selves. This is censorship here on A2K wouldn't you say? One person deciding what you should or should not say?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 757 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 01:34 pm
When a person joins A2K, there is a Terms of Use policy to which the potential member agrees. You will find a link to it at the bottom of this page.

If the individual adheres to the policy, TO WHICH HE AGREED WHEN HE JOINED, there will never be a problem. A moderator is not a "big bad" person. He/she is a volunteer who ensures that the site runs smoothly in accordance with the Terms of Use.

I don't see any problem with that.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 01:39 pm
It's hard to say if anyone feels "stifled" by having volunteer monitors. I often take unpopular stands, and being conservative belong to the political minority. Craven, the progenitor of the site, I think rather dislikes me and many of the things I stand for, but here I am.

We have had instances of people being temporarily banned, and sometimes those don't seem to make a whole lot of sense. That is the exception, and I'm sure that most appreciate the constraints that protect us from very abusive, bad mannered and un-necessary provocation. Here we rarely see racist remarks, and civility is the rule. Some really outrageous things are said about public figures, but personal slurs are not permitted.

All in all, the use of alert and moderate moderators is fundamental to maintaining this site for us all. Personally I tend to applaud their efforts, and appreciate the time and consideration they give to this little piece of hyperspace/time.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 01:41 pm
Anyway the wind blows...
is fine with me....FrankZappa
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 01:48 pm
I've been here since the beginning of A2K and I don't feel I have to watch what I say. If eliminating abuse is a problem for you, then maybe this isn't the place for you. I find A2K to be very civil, which is refreshing for those who don't care to see abusers govern the site.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 01:50 pm
dare to think-IMO it is the short time you're here. Moderators do a pretty good job of policing boorish behaviour and not opinions. In fact the moderators are on the whole a very opinionated group. If anyone feels stifled in here I haven't seen their complaints.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 02:08 pm
I concur with the previous replies. If one can not abide by the minimal restrictions on boorish comments, this is probably not the site for him.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 02:29 pm
I've never noticed any people had "to tip-toe around" at all.

Sometimes, I've noticed reactions by the mods - always in such cases, where people obvioulsy couldn't understand what they signed, when becoming a member here.
I like that.

Montana wrote:
I've been here since the beginning of A2K ...

To be precise, A2K started a bit early then when you joined :wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 02:35 pm
Ach Walter, we know about Teutonic precision.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 02:36 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 02:48 pm
panzade wrote:
Ach Walter, we know about Teutonic precision.

You seem to confuse me with urs, who indeed lives in the cuckoo clock region (well, close to, to be precise Laughing )

:wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 02:56 pm
thou witty
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 03:16 pm
panzade wrote:
thou witty

Mrs. Walter always calls me "scintillatingly witty" before I get my daily dosis of clouts. Very Happy
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 05:47 pm
If being civil is what you call Tippy-Toe than hooray for tippy-toe. Would you rather it follow the path of Abuzz.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:38 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I've never noticed any people had "to tip-toe around" at all.

Sometimes, I've noticed reactions by the mods - always in such cases, where people obvioulsy couldn't understand what they signed, when becoming a member here.
I like that.

Montana wrote:
I've been here since the beginning of A2K ...

To be precise, A2K started a bit early then when you joined :wink:

Actually Walter, since I joined here as Gezzy, that makes me member #169 and I did snoop around for awhile before I made the plunge ;-)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:43 am
Oh, it's Gezzy, is it? I wanted to invite Gezzy from the go-get, but they wouldn't let me till the site was officially opened.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:46 am
That's right Roger, LOL!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:52 am
Montana wrote:

Actually Walter, since I joined here as Gezzy, that makes me member #169 and I did snoop around for awhile before I made the plunge ;-)

Not unknown to me :wink:
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:42 am
You're right on top of things Walter ;-)
0 Replies