Too early to decorate for Halloween?Is this even about that?

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 11:39 am
Normally, I would say, Oct. 1st is the time to do it, but this year, my regular tablecloth ripped, and while I was in Walmart, I spotted a vinyl Halloween themed one for only $2.63, and since my dining room table is a big ole round thing, and they had round in, I bought it. When I told dd13 to put it on the table after it was cleaned yesterday, she said, "Oh, Mom, NO! Not this early!" And proceded to dig out some old placemats to use instead of the tablecloth. The placemats had playdough on some, so I suggested that she just use the tablecloth, and she still refused.

It just seemed so funny to me (both haha and odd) that she was so stuck on whether it was too early to put out a thematic tablecloth (not to mention the hideous pattern offending her style and sensibilities!) Twisted Evil Sometimes I wonder about this 13 year old child I'm raising... my 2 adult boys seemed alien creatures to me through their teen years, too... This could be seen as a control issue situation, and it's only about a tablecloth, which I am inclined to use now, early, or return it for a different unseasonal pattern, or go look for another set of placemats... But, if I do that, am I buying in to her overall notion that she gets to decide things like that? After all, it's only a gaudy seasonal tablecloth expected to be used for about 6 weeks... Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 912 • Replies: 5
No top replies

nells1961

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 03:57 pm
Kids are so funny at times, maybe she things Halloween won't come quick enough, if the tablecloth is used now.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 04:15 am
I'm with your daughter. I was in a store yesterday where the CHRISTMAS things were out already!!! Too Early! (personally, I think Oct. 25 is about the right time to decorate for Halloween...)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 10:09 am
I say do whatever the h*ll you want! If it bothers her so much, put on an Easter table cloth.

Honestly I think it is a little early, but if no one is really going to see it, personally it is a little better than the playdough place mats.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 10:15 am
I did use the tablecloth, and she got over it. We're just going through some adjustments, rubbing a few sharp edges off one another that weren't noticed before teenhood overtook my dd13. Twisted Evil Lt's hope all the battles we face as a mother/daughter pair are as benign as this one was. Wink
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 02:21 pm
Amen. My girl's 15, and so far the storms have cleared as quickly as they come up...
0 Replies