KITTY KELLY: THE TOKYO ROSE OF THE 21ST CENTURY

padmasambava

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:38 pm
McGentrix is one name.

I'll take the fact that we never have heard you literary voice before at face value.

Keep it in mind. I'm a vegetarian and I don't frequent McDonalds either, and it's not that I have a problem with that prefix.

Raping Rainforests is something I'm certain you have in common.

And I agree. You don't care what anyone thinks of you.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:41 pm
Apparently, they had no funding, and therefore no oversight over the idiots such as ZINGER who destroyed the concept of informed and civil debate, and who created many aliases in which to spam the site and it's posts.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:45 pm
Zinger was an idiot, all right. Though I'm no fan of McGentrix's ideology, he's not Zinger, I'm sure.

Zinger, for one thing, claimed to live in Texas and created a persona around vast wealth as an entrepreneur. None of it was the least bit plausible, of course.

McG has a reasonable back story of living in Upstate NY and shopping at WalMart. Totally believable. Like I said, I rarely agree with McG, but he seems real. Unlike Zinger...
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:48 pm
I complained to the PR department at the NY Times about four months ago - actually had a live discussion about randomization of e mail adress that is actually a feature offered by many ISPs and addressed the fact that there software was not monitored effectively and that it didn't have anti-aliasing written into the software.

Rather than rewrite the program, they pulled the plug on paying for it. It is rumored they fired a roomfull of people, but I have my doubts there was a roomful of people; just a site possibly run by a guy with rightwing politics who was using it as a playpen and food fight arena.

This seems better so far. I haven't seen that it is possible to steal another members alias. That was what send the Times Abuzz down the shaft. And I'm guessing from how long some of you have been here, that this is what sent you here if you were familiar with that forum.

The real Tokyo Rose was actually a pretty interesting character. Like the Germans who landed on the beach in Amagansett - she is no longer "the enemy."

I'll be forever with that other Kelly - Walt whose line "We have met the enemy and they is us" applies now and evermore!
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:53 pm
McGentrix wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
and when they can't counter they just yell "SHUT UP"!

That's crap. Maybe you've said it elsewhere, but that doesn't count for a hill of beans here.

why mcg... i don't believe i've ever been told to "SHUT UP" in such an eloquent way before.
Shocked
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:58 pm
I'm guessing it is possible for one member here to have numerous identities. But there isn't the software to unrandomize his ability to hide the central head of the hydra.

No aliasing is a major plus if the bot here with the thousands of threads on this site will prevent that. Bless the programmer. And if it is monitored to limit hate speech and name calling, great!

Connecting the dots and figuring out who may be posting here under several identities, or who seems indistiguishible rhetorically from the other person of similar narrow mindedness doesn't seem of much interest either. This is why we have elections - to eliminate the "white noise" of a clack or a clique.

So don't feel you need to be on the defensive if your opinion makes you a target for being recognized as a Bobsey Twin or your own Marty to your own Spin - so to speak.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:16 pm
padmasambava
I am and I am sure many of the other refugees from Abuzz would appreciate it, since Abuzz is dead, that you would just let it lie where it fell.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:20 pm
RIP

I wasn't the one who brought it up.

Now anything on the subject of the living Tokyo Rose who as of the year 2001 was running her family import business in Chicago?

I learned that from a simple text search with Google - on the words: Tokyo Rose.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:24 pm
Who was Tokyo Rose?
Radio Researcher
Garner, North Carolina

Dear Radio:

Tokyo Rose is something of an urban legend -- a fictional person cobbled together from scraps of real history. There's no proof that such a woman existed, although one woman was convicted of treason as Tokyo Rose.
During World War II, American soldiers dubbed the female broadcasters on Japanese radio, "Tokyo Rose." It was a name invented by the soldiers -- U.S. government research never found evidence of a person named Tokyo Rose in radio programs anywhere in the Pacific. The voice of Tokyo Rose was said to have taunted Allied forces during the war, hurting morale.

Iva Ikuko Toguri is the woman who was tried as Tokyo Rose. She is a first-generation Japanese-American who happened to be visiting a sick relative in Japan in 1941. When war was declared between Japan and the U.S., Toguri was trapped in Japan and pressured by Japanese military police to renounce her American citizenship. She refused. Instead, she learned Japanese and took two jobs to support herself while she sought a way to return home.

One of her jobs was as a typist for Radio Tokyo. There she met American and Australian prisoners of war who were being forced to broadcast radio propaganda. Toguri scavenged black-market food, medicine, and supplies for these POWs. When Radio Tokyo wanted a female voice for their propaganda shows, the POWs selected Toguri. She was one of many female, English-speaking voices on Radio Tokyo, and she took the radio name of "Orphan Ann." Her POW friends wrote her scripts and tried to sneak in pro-American messages whenever possible.

After the war, several reporters went to Japan to find and interview the infamous Tokyo Rose, offering a large cash payment for an interview. A woman at Radio Tokyo pointed the reporters to Iva Toguri, and Toguri, thinking that she and her new husband, Felipe d'Aquino, could use the money, agreed to be interviewed. She even signed a contract stating that she was the infamous Tokyo Rose. A reporter gave the interview notes to U.S. Army Counter Intelligence, and in 1945, the U.S. arrested and imprisoned Toguri in Japan. She was released in 1946, but was arrested again in 1948, and taken to the U.S. to be tried for treason.

Her trial was considered the most expensive in American history at that time. The U.S. government stacked the deck against Toguri and her meager defense, and the judge later admitted he was prejudiced against her from the start. Toguri was found guilty of only one of the eight treason charges -- "That she did speak into a microphone concerning the loss of ships." She was sentenced to 10 years in prison and fined $10,000. Because she was a model prisoner, Toguri was released early in 1956, although she was served with a deportation order which took two years to fight.

In 1976, the TV news show 60 Minutes told the Tokyo Rose story from Toguri's point of view. This led to a full pardon for Toguri from President Gerald Ford in 1977.

Unfortunately, Toguri's husband was never able to join her in the U.S. They reluctantly divorced in 1980, and d'Aquino died in 1996. Iva Toguri currently lives in Chicago where she runs her family's import business.

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20020221.html
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:30 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I'd prefer you kept your abuzz feuds at abuzz, otherwise your time at A2K might be limited...

I would hate to see such a passionate voice disappear.

I missed the part of the TOS where anyone's personal preferences swung any weight Laughing
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:34 pm
Let's don't fight girls......even if abuzz trolls show up, they are constrained here....please try to follow my example as a voice of reasonableness.....
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:47 pm
It sounds fine to me, Bear.

And thanks Dookiestix for the link to that article.

Imagine being stuck in Japan after the attack.

It does sound sticky. Almost like being a sikh in a turban in San José after a violent sect of muslims attacked the US this time of the year three years ago!
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:52 pm
I wonder what the iniator of this thread would do if he/she were suddenly stuck on the wrong side of enemy lines, and forced to spread propoganda while staring down the barrel of a gun?

Somehow, the attempt to make this anology regarding Kit Kelly stick seems awfully shortsighted. But then again, as this country continues to be torn apart at it's ideological seams, this comment from a rightwinger (be he/she real or not) may not seem so off base afterall.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 04:27 pm
For God's sakes leave McG alone! The guy has half a brain and a sense of humor; that alone qualifies him to be a spokesman for the right.
0 Replies