this issue is dead in the water

Lin

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:41 am
Hi, everybody. Who can kindly tell me the meaning of the sentence in the subject title? How to understand "dead in the water"??

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 658 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:05 am
Hi, Lin. Welcome to A2K. The expression "dead in the water" is vernacular for something that no longer is attended or has ceased to exist. I believe that originally, it refered to folks found floating face down in the oceans, lakes, rivers, streams, whatever. YUK!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:08 am
P.S. When I tried the spell check option here, I found it to be "dead in the water." Razz
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:15 am
My sense of it, especially when coupled with "issue", is that something that should be moving forward has stopped. It's no longer a valid issue. For example, "The Swift Boat allegations are dead in the water."
0 Replies

Lin

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:15 am
Thank you very much for your help, Letty and Sozobe! :-)
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:27 am
Whenever I hear the phrase, I think of a boat whose engines have broken down. The boat is no longer moving (except for drifting with the current). It is "dead in the water".

For the meaning, Letty and Sozobe are correct. It means something (a project, an argument, etc) that is no longer progressing or moving forward.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:36 am
Jim wrote:
Whenever I hear the phrase, I think of a boat whose engines have broken down. The boat is no longer moving (except for drifting with the current). It is "dead in the water".

For the meaning, Letty and Sozobe are correct. It means something (a project, an argument, etc) that is no longer progressing or moving forward.

Yes, I think it was a phrase that originated as a Navy term referring to a boat not sunk but disabled from propulsion. I believe it could also have refered to a vessel whose sails were so damaged from battle that they were useless.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:57 am
When I was a student at the University and poor as a church mouse, I managed to provide foot for the table by hunting the lands around my house. Often in the winter there were ducks and geese near the river behind my house. Once in awhile I would be able to shoot a duck or goose on the fly but it would fall into the river where it floated "dead in the water." Those days, I relied on Kraft mac and cheese for dinner.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:05 am
Does foot in mouth taste any better with melted cheddar?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 10:53 am
Only with a dollop of toe jam
0 Replies