Did Hillary Sucker The Republicans Into Nominating Trump?

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 03:17 pm
Hillary held a big lead over Trump in the polls for over a year. Then a few weeks before Trump's convention, Hillary's lead evaporated down to 2 points.

At the Republican convention, the stop-Trump effort, (which included most established Republicans), could make no headway and the nomination process smoothly gave the nomination to Trump. Trump's momentum even increased a few days after the Republican convention to where he took a slight lead. Then during and after the Democratic convention, all hell broke loose for Trump. His candidacy, less than a week after the Democratic convention ended, is now in free fall.

If Hillary could take apart Trump this easily less than a week after her convention, you have to wonder how she had her lead slowly evaporate before the Republican convention. Heck, a month before the Republican convention, Hillary's lead was 11 points in some polls, 10 points in others. It now appears likely that Hillary planned it this way.

The Republicans are now stuck with Trump, or they have to do something completely unprecedented to get rid of him and put in somebody else. All because Trump didn't seem to be doing too badly just before the Republican convention.

Did Hillary let up on the gas in late June and early July to let Trump catch up to her, only to leave Trump in the dust once he got the nomination for sure? It certainly looks like it.

rosborne979

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 03:28 pm
@Blickers,
I used to think these people were capable of such sophisticated strategies, but now I think it's just giving them way too much credit.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 03:39 pm
@Blickers,
She's got enough $$ to buy and sell him, yet her numbers stay close to him. He has tapped the resentful voter and she can't seem to make headway.

I feel the election is his to lose and he does a great job of sticking his foot in his mouth EVERY DAY! He's doing a good job of screwing himself out of being president with every passing comment.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 03:52 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
I feel the election is his to lose and he does a great job of sticking his foot in his mouth EVERY DAY! He's doing a good job of screwing himself out of being president with every passing comment.

If only this were true.

The sad fact is that people are still flocking to him. He realizes that the nation is filled with racists and bigots from all sides and he will continue selling them what they want. It doesn't mean he can actually deliver on most of his promises, but hey, that's okay because most voters are insanely uninformed.

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 04:00 pm
@Sturgis,
or vocal voters often can be.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 04:04 pm
@PUNKEY,
She is definitely making headway. She's gone from 1 point down before her convention to an average of +6.5 points up for all the polls conducted after her convention. Trump's in big trouble already, and not even a week has passed since Hillary's convention.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 04:07 pm
Whatever Hillary has done must be behind the scenes. I don't see that she has done crap since the convention.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 04:12 pm
@Blickers,
Disagree. We did it to ourselves.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 04:26 pm
I think the fall of Hillary poll numbers over Trump fell after the FBI damming announcement where he painted as bad a picture of her as he possibly could even though he knew he couldn't indict on the evidence they had. Hillary was thought of as a smart cookie, having Comey say she was extremely careless kind of knocked that image down. The DNC with all of those people, ordinary people no one knows, talk about all the ways Hillary helped them, brought her numbers back up.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 04:59 pm
@Blickers,
Trump's in big trouble, because every time he opens his mouth, he proves to everybody he's not qualified. His racial bigotry, offense against a Muslim parents of a war hero, his belittling of McCain and all women, and misinformation about Crimea proves his ignorance and antisocial pathology.
TomTomBinks

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 10:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Trump's in big trouble, because every time he opens his mouth, he proves to everybody he's not qualified. His racial bigotry, offense against a Muslim parents of a war hero, his belittling of McCain and all women, and misinformation about Crimea proves his ignorance and antisocial pathology.

Some prominent Republicans have withdrawn their support, but I think his rank and file supporters have not done so. The ones I see everyday are all-in for him. His words and actions don't seem to matter, their support of him seems unconditional. The thing they like about him is his willingness to express the racism and bigotry that they themselves are afraid to express. They claim he'll put an end to "All this PC bullshit" And also they hate Hillary.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 04:55 pm
Here's a chart of Hillary and Trump since last year. It really is beginning to look brutal for Trump-a "good" poll for him is one that shows him 10 or less behind Hillary. That's how bad it's getting.

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah279/LeviStubbs/polling%20average_zpszaassl6s.jpg

I think Hillary coasted a little before the Republican Convention just to get the suckers to actually think they had a chance with Trump, then once they made that fateful mistake, she started blasting.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 05:51 pm
@Blickers,
How can we explain a 10 point spread when Trump lies 91% of the time, generals will leave the service if he becomes president, he's a racist and xenophobe, a narcissist, wants to get rid of NATO, and a guy who has no record in government?

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/05/whats-trumps-position-on-nato/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-racist-examples_us_56d47177e4b03260bf777e83

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/03/31/ninety-one-percent-donald-trump-false.html
Blickers

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2016 01:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I agree, it is a wonder that Trump is even within 10 points of Hillary considering his pronouncements, qualifications, and personal history. My guess is, a lot of people just don't pay attention to politics until the conventions happen, so a poor candidate can skate through the nomination phase by appealing to the base of one party, but when the general public takes a look at him or her, the poor candidate gets rejected. That's what is happening with Trump.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2016 02:05 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
It doesn't mean he can actually deliver on most of his promises, but hey, that's okay because most voters are insanely uninformed.

Insanely uninformed, bigots, and not realistic. Trump's "I will do this and I will do that" should be a clue. But, nooooo........
They all need to read the US Constitution. That's only if they can read and comprehend what they're reading.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2016 04:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hold up here a minute! My preacher told me our government was based on the Bible. What in the hell is this constitution thing your talking about?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2016 05:08 pm
@RABEL222,
That's the reason congress prays before each session. They're beholding to the bible.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2016 07:23 pm
I do wonder how the religious right, who are supposedly "values voters", can stomach Trump since the man became famous for humiliating his wives while he was running around with his mistresses.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2016 10:01 pm
@Blickers,
I'm not surprised by any group that supports Trump, when women support him too. I know I'm getting senile, but it's still hard for me to digest.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 07:46 am
@Blickers,
Posted this on another thread:

Saw a post on another forum that pretty much summed up my thoughts on Trump.

Quote:
LRB · Eliot Weinberger · They could have picked...

In short, today’s Republican Party is wedded to a worldview and a system of policies — a ban on abortion and maybe contraception too, climate denial, young-Earth creationism, tax cuts for the rich — totally alien to the needs and aspirations of Americans. Trump’s incoherence is better than the disturbing clarity of his competitors.

And here is a Freudian suggestion, to paraphrase from Forbidden Planet: Trump is a monster of the Republican Id.