Why does America treat it's teachers as if they were dirt..?

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:32 pm
While we're at it Eva, let's include the elderly for our society does not revere the past either. We put our folks in Assisted living facilities because we just can't be bothered. In Mexico and Europe the elderly are cared for at home.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:32 pm
(And just for the record, sofia, I too am appalled by the epidemic of Ritalin-pushing, as a solution to complex problems that young people have to cope with. But generally, DOCTORS are doing the prescribing.)

But back to the topic ...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:35 pm
There's a lot of ADD they say...I don't know if it was just overlooked in the past. We have a 12 year old with it and the medication is a godsend for his learning capacity.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:36 pm
Msolga--

Hello.

You are right in that it doesn't matter how long ago Montana faced this horrible problem, and wrong in assuming it doesn't happen that much.

As I said, it is an epidemic; widely reported. And, it is a part of the unpopularity of teachers. Not in and of itself--but it is indicative of the mentality of teachers to stuff a sock (or a pill) in the mouth of students who require time and attention.

I suppose it is easier to...blame capitalism, or force some anti-feminist agenda on the whole affair--but the truth is that teachers have a powerful lobby here to help them defray any due criticism.

A good teacher used to be a beloved character is the US---vaunted! They have changed (the bulk of them). I should add that before this happened--student's horrific behavior drove many good candidates out of the teaching pool. But, we are left with substandard, lazy teachers--for the most part.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:39 pm
panzade--

My son had ADHD, too. I know some actually need meds. But, I have heard first hand about horror stories children and parents have been subjected to by teachers and school systems--and it is a documented fact that many of these kids don't require meds.

A teacher suggesting--and demanding and pressuring--are so different.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:46 pm
I should add--I don't think teachers should be treated like dirt-- I just really thought I knew why they've lost their cache.

I'm hoping they can get it back.

I'm going to school to teach. Want to be part of the solution.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:47 pm
Sofia

I'm talking, of course, largely about my experience in education in Oz. And I strongly stand by my observations as I've presented them here. IF this "Ritalin epidemic" is CAUSED by teacher demands in the US then I'd be very interested to hear more about it - from all concerned. But I don't feel too happy about diverting this thread from it's stated purpose. Perhaps this can be discussed in another A2K thread? And I'll be very interested to read what people have to say on the topic.
Apologies for diverting this discussion into another direction, people!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:49 pm
I was a teacher for a year til I couldn't take it anymore. I had a class of cast-off kids from single parent families who needed me to babysit til they got home. Used to be teachers taught the 3 r's. Now they have to teach manners, social skills and a whole host of other skills that used to be taught in Sunday School and the home.

BTW, I got a letter from Jeb Bush saying: "We regret to inform you that your child will be left behind."
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 09:50 pm
?

I thought we were discussing the topic. Why America treats teachers like dirt...

But, ok.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 10:10 pm
Teachers in the US, & anywhere else for that matter, will not be valued until the education of ALL children is perceived as a major priority of the society they live in. Not just in expensive private schools, where parents can pay to ensure that their children receive the best, sheltered from the problems of "troubled" public schools. I mean ALL students in any particular society. While society tolerates "second rate", residual schools (read under-funded, under-resourced & under-supported), the teachers who work in those schools will be under-rated, under-payed & under-appreciated, too. (AND be blamed for not being successful educators in "league tables" of school achievements!) In Australia this means vast majority of teachers working in the majority of (public) schools.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 10:37 pm
mark
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 10:41 pm
msolga wrote:
I think Montana's experience was quite some time ago, sofia? Mind you, that doesn't suggest that it was appropriate! If teachers in Oz attempted to make some sort of MEDICAL judgement like that, they'd be hell to pay. Not allowed! I doubt very much whether Montana's experience is a common one ... now, at least. But anyway, I doubt that this sort of thing is a major influence on the status of teachers in the US, or anywhere, for that matter.

The situation of the threats re a parent not putting a child on Ritalin would not occur here, Msolga - the USA is the capital of speed for kids - it is much more controversial here, and most Australian child psychiatrists do not push it - some deny the existence of "ADHD" - it is the paediatricians who do the pushing. However, I understand what happened to Montana continues to happen in the USA.

However, sadly, folk in mental health, at least in my state, do find that it is not infrequent for teachers/principals/school counsellors to go way, way beyond their competence, and tell parents that their child has ADD - or, believe it or not, things like clinical depression, bi-polar, Asperger's, autism, schizophrenia etc - sometimes with extremely destructive effect.

This is certainly NOT supported by departmental guidelines - which sensibly tell teachers etc to report their observations and concerns about a child, without any pop diagnosing, and to suggest the parents seek appropriate help - however, some folk persist in such behaviour - or even attempt to undermine the appropriate clinician's diagnosis - eg telling me that a child with severe anxiety is just being naughty. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Makes me feel like setting meself down and telling them how to teach....

However, as you say, the majority of teachers act properly and professionally in regard to such matters.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 10:46 pm
msolga wrote:
Sofia

I'm talking, of course, largely about my experience in education in Oz. And I strongly stand by my observations as I've presented them here. IF this "Ritalin epidemic" is CAUSED by teacher demands in the US then I'd be very interested to hear more about it - from all concerned. But I don't feel too happy about diverting this thread from it's stated purpose. Perhaps this can be discussed in another A2K thread? And I'll be very interested to read what people have to say on the topic.
Apologies for diverting this discussion into another direction, people!

Teachers are a convenient whipping point here, too, for many ills.

The USA has a long history of throwing medication at things - and teachers could not be insisting on Ritalin without the support of the medical and welfare establishments - I assume this sort of stuff is part of a strongly medicalized view of children's problems - and its adherents believe they are doing the best possible thing for the kids involved....sigh.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 11:02 pm
.. and <sigh> from me, too, Deb! Sad

I have, in recent years, taught so many "medicated" students, generally boys in years 8, 9 & 10, who sometimes EXCUSE their own anti-social behavior BECAUSE of their "condition". You label 'em & they oblige by acting the part. <sigh>

As for teachers prescribing the drugs. What can I say? Totally unethical & very dangerous! I suspect if teachers tried that (& I can only speak from the schools i'm familiar with) they'd be complained about to the Education Department. And probably supported in their complaint. They might even consider suing the teacher.

However, none of this solves the problem of what to do with extremely problematic students in far too large classes, does it? It often becomes a case of the good of the majority against the special needs of the "difficult" child/children. No solution at all & it gives teachers grey hair & wrinkles, trying to perform this juggling act. I am in awe of teachers who do this job well, in spite of the obstacles. They deserve a medal!
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:06 am
It seems true that many people everywhere disrespect teachers or at least discount them for all kinds of reasons valid or not. The notion that it is a national past time is an over-generalization. Facts simply do not support this notion.
Teachers appear to make a living income, even if it appears low, and health care coverages are better than for average citizens. As a group, in this day and age, maybe teachers should hire Michael Moore to lie for them too. (It seems to work for politicians).
It could be that teachers have a lot to learn.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:15 pm
Does America revere its Trash-haulers or ditch-diggers?
America's Maintainance men, its "Material handlers, its roofers, its service-persons (waitrons), its nursing-home workers?

The answer... America is contemptuous of those who do its "dirty work".

"Let them eat cake...'
0 Replies