Vitamin A and Bone Loss

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 07:37 am
Very interesting article arrived from Sweden yesterday. Researchers at the University of Uppsala ( Sweden) conducted a nutritional study to evaluate the effects of vitamin A on bone density . Study was carried out over a period > 25 years.

Result:
Excessive vitamin A resulted in bone loss in observed participants.

Conclusion:
Most people do NOT need supplemental vitamin A ( drugstore bought ) if they are eating well balanced diets.

Question:

Will people buy fewer carrots now! Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,613 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dlk33

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 10:01 am
If I were told by a professional that I was deficient in some kind of vitamin or mineral which was important to the everyday function of my body, my first reaction would be to ask if there is something I can do to help myself either by what I eat, or exercise before i'd opt to take a supplement.
I don't really like having to take any pills.
There is proof that some supplements do help people with certain problems. My spouse has been taking a combination of Glucosamine and Chondroitin for help with his Arthritis. The pain and problems he had before taking those supplements are much less now. For him, taking a supplement that seems to help is his only option.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 09:40 am
Supposedly, carrots are good for vision. So, you eat carrots, see better, but when you fall on the sidewalk, you break your hip, 'cause the Vit A caused you to lose Ca from your bones. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlk33

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 01:33 pm
New Haven,
I don't know about that eating carrots for better vision thing.
I've eaten my share of carrots, and I'm still far sighted, always have been.
Since I don't take vitamin A supplements, I guess I won't have to worry about breaking my hip, well at least not for several years.
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 03:13 pm
I'm with you. Dlk. I hate to take pills. Now I have to take calcium and fosomax for my bone-loss problem. I have the glucosomine /chondroitin pills in the cabinet because of some hip pain. I haven't started taking them yet, because they're easy to forget. Maybe I'll start with them when my hip reminds me more persistently

Most research shows that pills are hard to metabolize, unless combined with other nutrients in just the right proportion, and that you're much better off getting the vitamins and minerals from food. The Harvard Men's Weekly just recently had an article saying that vitamin C supplements were not really beneficial.
0 Replies

dlk33

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 05:16 pm
dream2020,
I have a very helpful suggestion for you, to help you improve your bone density. If you don't already work out with weights, you should start, especially if you are a woman.
As women get older, they continue to lose their bone mass. Weight training helps maintain bone density, as well as build it up over time.
Since you already have an issue, and have to take vitamins, maybe a weight training routine will help your problems from getting any worse.
It's worth a try, isn't it?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 07:44 pm
Try weight bearing excercise. Do you do much walking? I like to walk about 2 miles/day. With all the snow however, I'm lucky to do 1 mile/day! Embarrassed
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 08:40 am
Thanks, and yes, I work out on a cross-trainer at the gym and do weights, also. I have done so for many years, which is why it was a shock to me that I have low bone density for a woman my age (50). I'm short and slim, with small bones, and the Dr. said I may have always been this way.

The hip pain may be due to the fact that I'm a runner. I stopped that recently and took up the cross trainer because it's low-impact. If the cross-trainer bothers my hip over time, I plan on taking up power-walking.
0 Replies

dlk33

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 10:11 pm
dream,
I've got a great suggestion for a no impact work-out that is a great cardio exercise. Have you tried an elliptical machine yet? I tried one once thinking I'd hate it, but ended up loving it.
I'm thinking about selling my treadmill and buying an elliptical machine instead. The main reason is that I have a bad knee which is acting up whenever I run. I can walk, but once I raise the grade past 2 the knee acts up again. The problem with that is my goal is to lose weight, but if I can't get my heart rate up high enough to burn fat, it will take me forever to lose the weight I want to. With an elliptical machine I know I'll be able to get my heart rate up, and won't be causing additional stress to my joints.
All I have to do is find someone willing to pay about $1100 for my treadmill, it may take awhile.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 05:53 am
You can also walk 2-4 miles/day at a mall.

Remember its FREE!
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 09:43 am
Dlk: the cross-trainer I was referring to is an elliptical machine. The sign on it says cross-trainer, I don't know why. So far, I love it, but time will tell.

New Haven: I hate the mall. Honestly, I'd rather work out in a gym than go there. I work, so when I'm off is when the malls are the most crowded. If I lived somewhere peaceful I'd walk in all weather.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 09:27 am
I find it hard to walk through all the snow we're getting. We end up walking in the street, which is very dangerous. Shocked
0 Replies