James Joyce’s daughter Lucia was written out of history

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 04:04 pm
Excerpt from the article:
Hoping to find some answers, I turned to a 600-page biography written a decade earlier by an American Joyce scholar called Carol Loeb Schloss. The biography was meticulously researched and yet entire swathes of Lucia’s life were unaccounted for. Why? Because most of her letters (to her, from her, about her) had been purposefully destroyed. Her medical records had been burnt. She spent four months in analysis with the legendary Carl Jung in Switzerland. He too had destroyed all his notes. Poems and a novel she’d written had also been lost or destroyed. Lucia’s life seemed to be little more than a few bald facts strung together and viewed through the lens of other people, many of whom seemed entirely unreliable. And yet newspaper reviews (which I quote in the novel) raved about her talent.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/why-was-james-joyce-s-daughter-lucia-written-out-of-history-1.2687082?platform=hootsuite
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 815 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Thomas33

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 04:25 pm
I think that's an awful reality. A person's life being censored. It makes me think about life today, and the benefit of having the internet, equipped with means such as Facebook, forums, YouTube to be known.

This kind of story inspires me to wonder about why people get censored in the first place. Assuming that Lucia were alive today, interacting with people on this site, would what she had to say or express be so alarming that it needs to be censored?

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 05:28 pm
After reading the article, it seems to me that many girls like Lucia were treated the same. I just cannot understand why.
0 Replies