Did anyone notice Stephen Hawking contradicted himself?

maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 07:09 am
High Strangness.

I am counting you in the group of what you are calling "phony Christians". I have studied the Bible, I know very well what it says.

Love is the opposite of hate. There is no way that you can have such hatred and not contradict the message of the Jesus in the Bible. Turns out that on this Jesus agrees with me...

The Apostle Paul wrote:
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

Ask yourself if you think you are displaying any of these qualities here (or you can ask the other people on this forum). You seem to be more intent on insulting Muslims than caring about people in need.
catbeasy

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 08:07 am
@High Strangeness,
I could buy that its a test and each situation is different - in a secular world. But that's not the world you apparently live in. You live in a world of perfections. Perfect love, perfect peace. The ultimate of an ideal. So, these words are judged by your own standards and you are hence also condemned by them..

So, yah, I think it was meant to be taken literally. And yah, they are contradictions that only get un-contradicted when people like yourself go through these crazy mental gyrations to somehow accommodate both principles without apparent dissonance.

Except I think you really do feel the dissonance, deep down you and others know these things are a contradiction but you just tamp down the conflict, keep it under a layer of rationalization that seeps through every once in a while and causes a tick or two or anger out of nowhere or some other such somatic, psychological indication..

I think the bible is a reflection of the individuals personality. If you are a cool, rational, loving person, you key in on the stuff about love, peace, acceptance. If you are generally hateful or hiding a deep secret, then its all about destroying the philistines and hellfire and brimstone. And everything in between..
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 08:23 am
@High Strangeness,
High Strangeness wrote:

Personally I'm always polite to them, but that's as far as my "love" goes..Smile

Are you familiar with the Greek term Agape love and it's meaning? not to be confused with Philea
Note Jesus words in the sermon on the mount
Quote:
You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love (agapēseis) your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love (agapāte) your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you?

You can have agape love for someone without sharing a meal with them.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 08:28 am
@Smileyrius,
Quote:

Given the example of the Biblical Jesus, who was known for eating with tax-collectors and sinners, I don't believe this is true.

If Jesus were alive today where do you think he would be... with middle-class Americans or with Syrian refugees?
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 08:29 am
@catbeasy,
catbeasy wrote:

I think the bible is a reflection of the individuals personality. If you are a cool, rational, loving person, you key in on the stuff about love, peace, acceptance. If you are generally hateful or hiding a deep secret, then its all about destroying the philistines and hellfire and brimstone. And everything in between..

An observation we share cat, the bible is as a Rorschach test, people see within it what they wish to see. I believe this is by design. What resides in the heart is drawn out and laid bare.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 08:33 am
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:

catbeasy wrote:

An observation we share cat, the bible is as a Rorschach test, people see within it what they wish to see. I believe this is by design. What resides in the heart is drawn out and laid bare.

This isn't always true Smiley. When Jesus stood in front of the crowd and said "Make America Great Again" it was pretty clear what He meant.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 08:55 am
@High Strangeness,
Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo Fabulini
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 09:05 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

Given the example of the Biblical Jesus, who was known for eating with tax-collectors and sinners, I don't believe this is true.

Jesus did not class sinners as his enemies, rather he pointed out that we are all sinners, many of the Pharisees and Sadducees on the other hand he sent away from him
maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 09:14 am
@Smileyrius,
I think we are in agreement Smiley.

Jesus shared my distaste for religious hypocrisy.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 09:25 am
@Smileyrius,
I think these words of Jesus apply here:
Quote:
Matthew 10:16 KJV
[16] Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 09:34 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

I think these words of Jesus apply here:
Quote:
Matthew 10:16 KJV
[16] Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

That's a cracking scripture lead, thanks for sharing
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 09:40 am
@Smileyrius,
Another incident which is pertinent here is that of the good Samaritan. The Jews and Samaritans were culturally enemies, and yet The Samaritan showed his self to be a true brother to the beaten Jew. This was a Gentile, an "amha'aret" considered unclean in the eyes of the man he helped. This is what Agape love is.

btw, how did we get from Stephen Hawking to Christians and Love? That is quite a derail there Smile
catbeasy

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 12:58 pm
@Smileyrius,
I don't think its by design. I doubt that these thoughts were on those ancient minds at the canonization talks. I believe it was dogma that drove the coagulation..

Of course if you believe some other entity directed this with this in mind, then what can I say? Except that that idea still doesn't square right with all the contradictions found therein about love/hate/how to live etc..
0 Replies

High Strangeness

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 03:45 pm
@izzythepush,
The word on the street is that Romeo gave the atheists and nonchristians here such a hammering that they went running like chickens to the A2K bosses to get him banned, and he's been boasting about it in forums ever since and saying his awesome debating skill is something all holy men such as himself have got..Smile
"They couldn't beat Paul in arguments because of his wisdom and the spirit" (Acts 6:10)
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 01:27 am
@High Strangeness,
That's as close to an admission as we're going to get. I see you're still a stranger to the truth.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 05:49 am
@High Strangeness,
High Strangeness wrote:

The word on the street is that Romeo gave the atheists and nonchristians here such a hammering that they went running like chickens to the A2K bosses to get him banned, and he's been boasting about it in forums ever since and saying his awesome debating skill is something all holy men such as himself have got..Smile
"They couldn't beat Paul in arguments because of his wisdom and the spirit" (Acts 6:10)

Don't believe everything you hear high, Romeo while entertaining at times, he had a few views that were quite distasteful, for example he would applaud Christian crusades that resulted in a large number of deaths lauding them as necessary.
He was enthusiastic and his bible knowledge was so so, but he often misquoted and misapplied scriptures out of context to create an overview that could at times be quite inaccurate.
I am not surprised to hear he is proud of his exploits, he often shared with us letters from people who said good things about him. He was not all bad, I understood what he was trying to achieve but he unwittingly did more to discredit theism than he did to aide it. I was not aware he was banned, a shame, but not entirely surprising.
DudeSid

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 10:44 am
@Angelgz2,
Well,if universe comes from a big-little thing and a theory then question is WHO CREATED THE BIG-LITTLE THING? and going backward in time travel is less probable than going frontward. my thought is IF ONE CAN GO PAST HE CAN SURELY CHANGE IT AND FUTURE OF THE CHANGED PAST(PRESENT) WILL BE CHANGED. THAT'S LOOK IMPOSSIBLE. so my favourite scientist is right as always he was.
Angelgz2

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 12:24 pm
@High Strangeness,
Quote:
Well muslims are poisoning America's water supplies and setting forest fires (google it), and Trump wants to keep them out, seems sensible enough to me..Wink

Well said....
0 Replies

Angelgz2

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 12:38 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Love is the opposite of hate.

False. Love and hate is opposite end of the same coin. People argue and say the meanest things to their ex's, parents or loved ones because they love them and their non-response leads to hate. The opposite of love is complete disregard and completely forget [someone].
0 Replies

Angelgz2

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 01:00 pm
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
btw, how did we get from Stephen Hawking to Christians and Love? That is quite a derail there Smile

Yeah, that's what i say. All I wanted was to reconcile the contradiction issue here but people man, people nowadays just love to bash religion whenever they get a chance.

And what's all that talk about hypocrisy? The way I see it, when religions people did something, all that criticism flows in, like "well didn't Jesus tell you to do this and that?" But when non-religious people say something bad, it's okay, because he's just human. Speaking of hypocrisy, you think liberals (often not religious) aren't hypocrites? They are the BIGGEST hypocrites on earth just like those commies that slaughtered millions. Sure, it sounds nice, equality for all, free education, free health care, harbor illegal immigrants and $15 minimum wage. Who's gonna pay for it? You? Those liberals? When Illinois comptroller said that politician paychecks should be indefinitely delayed until a budget is passed, the first to protest were the democrats. "People should be paid for the work they do." Oh yeah? What about all the state workers who aren't getting paid and all the other service contractors who aren't getting paid? When their own paychecks are threatened, all that big talk about equality and helping the poor goes to the toilet.

Yet, they are forcing their ideas and brainwashing young American to believe their economically infeasible crap. In the end it's the honest working American middle class who's going to bear the burden so people with little or no education can "earn" their $15 an hour, working 6 hours, have lavish vacations, and get fully paid healthcare while hard working American middle class struggles to make a living. It's more like legalized robbery. Who's the real hypocrite here.

So yeah, I do support Trump because I am really sick and tired of all the HYPOCRISY of the liberals.