Save the assault weapons ban

Swimpy

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 08:48 am
I support the extension of the assault weapons ban. If Congress does not act before Sept. 14, the ban will expire. If you want to see the ban extended, please write your representatives in Washington. President Bush has already said he would sign the extension, but the Republicans in control of both houses will not bring it to the floor.

The following link will take you to a convenient site where you can email members of Congress. Tell them how you feel about this important issue.

https://ssl.capwiz.com/congressorg/dbq/officials/directory/directory.dbq?command=congdir
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,493 • Replies: 46
No top replies

McTag

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 08:53 am
Seems like a sound notion.

There already exist enough easy ways to kill your fellows, with recourse to assault weapons.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 09:09 am
Lets not waste time trying to change one another's beliefs, Swimpy, but on this one, we follow different philosophies.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 09:22 am
I wasn't trying to change anyone's belief's, Roger. You are free to not click the link and not to write your Congressman. As are all who stop on this thread. I'm surprised at you.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 09:28 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33076&highlight=
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 09:36 am
Swimpy,

Before you blindly attempt to round up signatures for retaining the AWB (aka The scary looking weapons ban) why don't you stop by this thread:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33076

If you can read the points made here and show how that particular ban prevents any crime in any meaningful way or is any way justifyable, perhaps you could get some people to sign it.

We, the supporters of the 2nd Amendment, look forward to your intelligent, reasonable comments in that thread.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 09:59 am
If you feel strongly that you wish the weapons ban to lapse, then feel free to use my link to convey you views as well.

I have no desire to debate the issues here. I hope people will inform themselves and make up their own minds.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 12:48 pm
bump
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 02:20 pm
Bump, I suppose, is putting the thread back up the leader board. That is a good thing.

It seems to me that the greater good of society must be weighed against the individual's right to indulge themselves.

Waco and Columbine say to me that the nation has taken many a wrong turn on this subject. Homicide is too simple, and too frequent in the USA for a ban not to be seriously contemplated.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 04:23 pm
McTag, I rarely venture into the political threads, mainly because I feel like most of the discussions are "Listen to me. I'm right and you're wrong. Not to mention stupid and ugly."

I just wanted to let people know there is an existing law, affecting millions of Americans, that will end without so much as a discussion on the topic. Americans have the power to let their representatives know they are not happy about that. Whether you are for the assault weapons ban or against it, I don't see how you can be against people letting their voices be heard by those that have the power to do something about it.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 02:13 am
I agree. Let the people's voice be heard.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 11:30 am
Thanks for your interest, McTag. I've seen your input on the other thread. The arguments on the other side are the same ones that surfaced when this bill became law ten years ago. Sigh.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 02:40 pm
Same arguments from both sides, over and over. That's one of at least three reasons I expressed a counter sentiment, and let it go at that.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:50 pm
Maybe I misunderstood you, Rog. I snapped at you, I'm sorry. I agree to disagree with you. We still friends?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:56 pm
Of course we're still friends, Swimp. As a matter of fact, that was reason #1. I'm not going to lose a friend over mere politics.

For the rest of you, Swimpy and I have known each across three forums, and come within a day of sharing the same abuzzday.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:01 pm
I need to stay off the Politics Forum. It makes my head look fat Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:06 pm
Never! And you didn't snap.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 06:29 am
Today is the 13th is it too late?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 08:25 am
No, it's not too late. The link takes you to the Congessional roster. You can email your representative and Senators.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 08:52 am
I don't know if it does any good, but I did as you suggested. I admit that I am thirty-nine years old and it is first time I have ever wrote a representive in my life about anything.
0 Replies