simple present or present continuous ?

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 07:37 am
Hi..if we consider the following sentence :

My train leaves at six.

Now, as I read, this sentence must be in simple present not in present continuous because the simple present isn't replacable, am I right ? or am I right ? and the question is why ?

if I have any mistakes in my writing,please tell me Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,636 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 07:40 am
your version is right

the train leaves and that's it - it isn't an ongoing process
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 08:40 am
would you mind tell more about this kind of future forms ?

thanks ..
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 04:41 pm
grammatical explanations with the correct terms isn't my strong point - I've forgotten lots of it and am frequently reminded by the experts who post here.

what is it you wanted to know exactly?

future tense:

the train will leave (at 9am/whatever)

the train would leave (if it wasn't running late)

I don't know if this is what you meant?
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 09:56 pm
I meant, I don't understand why we use simple present with this sentence.Although, we know already when the train leaves because there is a schedule!.It's said that we use simple present because this is a habitual action.But, I didn't get the point yet Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 10:02 pm
simple present tense is used to describe something that happens at a certain time

present continuous tense is used to describe something that happens over a period of time

the leaving train can be thought of both ways. the normal way to think about it is that at 6:00, the train will leave.

so in simple present tense:

my train leaves at six.

but you could also think about the fact that the act of leaving takes some time, so you could consider it to be an event that occurs over a period of time...and use present continuous tense:

my train is leaving at six.

edit--if you know advanced calculus, think of simple present tense as the dirac delta function, while present continuous tense is the unit step function
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 11:06 pm
Hi stuh..it's written here that the simple present isn't replacable by the continuous,so, the sentence should be like this:
My train leaves at six.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 11:08 pm
OK..maybe I'm getting old or driving myself nuts!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:32 am
in many situations it is replaceable
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:46 am
What I find interesting is that the phrase "I just received a present for my birthday today" is simple present, but "I receive continuous presents" is present continuous.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:48 am
cavfancier wrote:
"I receive continuous presents" is present continuous.

It's not, it's simple present.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:51 am
cavfancier wrote:
What I find interesting is that the phrase "I just received a present for my birthday today" is simple present, but "I receive continuous presents" is present continuous.

wouldn't it need to be I am receiving to be present continous?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:53 am
Yes, correct, both Craven and Vivien. I was punning.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:54 am
My apologies. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:55 am
Re: simple present or present continuous ?
navigator wrote:
Hi..if we consider the following sentence :

My train leaves at six.

Now, as I read, this sentence must be in simple present not in present continuous because the simple present isn't replacable, am I right ? or am I right ? and the question is why ?

The sentence can be in either simple present, simple future, or present continuous.

Simple present:

My train leaves at six.

Simple future:

My train will leave at six.

Present continuous:

My train is leaving at six.

stuh505 wrote:
simple present tense is used to describe something that happens at a certain time

present continuous tense is used to describe something that happens over a period of time

This is untrue.

"Continuous" in tenses does not necessarily mean a continuous action, it simply means that the gerund is used.

stuh505 wrote:
but you could also think about the fact that the act of leaving takes some time, so you could consider it to be an event that occurs over a period of time...and use present continuous tense:

This is misleading. The reason the gerund can be used is because the gerund can be used to reference future actions. It's no because "leaving takes some time".

Consider:

I am going to bed at 10.

I am leaving for work at 9.

These are not indications that the action will be a drawn out one, they are simply uses of the gerund to refer to the future.

navigator wrote:
I meant, I don't understand why we use simple present with this sentence.Although, we know already when the train leaves because there is a schedule!.It's said that we use simple present because this is a habitual action.But, I didn't get the point yet Rolling Eyes

But you just said the point. The only reason why simple present is prefferable to the present continuous is because the schedule is a habitual action, and for those present simple is usually the tense to use.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:57 am
Craven de Kere wrote:

The sentence can be in either simple present, simple future, or present continuous.

Simple present:

My train leaves at six.

Simple future:

My train will leave at six.

Present continuous:

My train is leaving at six.

I neglected:

Future continuous:

My train will be leaving at six.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 04:34 am
Craven de Kere wrote :
But you just said the point. The only reason why simple present is prefferable to the present continuous is because the schedule is a habitual action, and for those present simple is usually the tense to use.[/quote]

Well,I know that I'm a genius somehow Cool
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 06:29 am
yes, sorry, i was wrong.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 07:51 am
Hi stuh , you will still my teacher forever.I have a soft spot for you.I am improving everyday because of your help and the others ofcourse.
0 Replies