Surgical Menopause

bella

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 11:17 pm
I am about to undergo surgery that will send me into immediate, premature menopause (I'm 35). I can't read about many of the side effects that I've seen because they are so traumatic mentally and physically -- haven't mustered up the strength to face it. It makes me nauseous. I am unsure about HRT. I don't know if I have cancer or not yet, but I do know that I will have a full hysterectomy. I am scared and would love to hear from anyone who has been through this experience for strength and advice.

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,329 • Replies: 10
No top replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 06:41 am
I suggest you get a second opinion. IMO, if no cancer is found during the surgery, then there should be no reason to have a total hysterectomy.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 06:57 am
if you have to have the op then HRT will mean you don't go into a premature menopause.

(Have they said that they will need to remove your ovaries as well? you won't need HRT if they don't)

There are loads of methods of HRT from implants to tablets to gel so you'll find one you are happy with.

I wasn't much older than you when i had it, (family history, grandmother and mother before me)

After the op I felt terrible for the first day, terrified at the thought of standing up - in actual fact with the physios advice it was no more painful than lying still - trick is to roll with hips and shoulders parallel, elbow under side and push up before swinging legs out of bed - don't twist your middle. Walk plenty around the hospital ward/corridors and straighten up, don't keep bent over.

It was a week before i could sit in a chair in any comfort, being doubled up just hurt too much, Standing and lying down was OK.

2 weeks later i was driving again (had a letter from doctor to say i was fit for insurance purposes); still recovering but able to visit friends. From then on the recovery was rapid.

The op was just before Christmas and in the February I started a Fine Art degree as a mature student - so don't worry.

(incidentally I'm not tough - not good with pain at all but after a few days none of us needed pain relief any more the pain wasn't that bad if you moved carefully and didn't overdo things - trying to do too much was far too painful to contemplate!)
0 Replies

bella

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 08:11 am
Vivien, thank you for sharing your story with me. I have only one ovary as one was removed along with a tumor, and now the other has a tumor as well, as does the uterus.

There are so many horror stories about hrt side effects, but sounds like the effects of not taking it are worse.

I am just having ups and downs thinking about it. On one hand I can't wait to get rid of everything! On the other, it's a bit scary. I'm sure you can relate.

Again, thank you for your message!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 10:52 am
I went through a sort of "surgical menopause", but w/o the surgery. I was radiated on my thigh, which apparently left me with no hormones whatsoever. (I checked)

I went on HRT for a few years, but found that as I grew older, the PMS exascerbated to the point where I was a lunatic for a number of days in the month. (I had been getting those same symptoms even BEFORE I lost my period.) My gyn tried all manner of HRT protocols, and none of them really suited me. Eventually, I said "the hell with it", and stopped the HRT.

IMO, if you take calcium, do weight bearing exercise, and watch your weight, you will do fine.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 11:39 am
One of the fringes-by-marriage of Mr. Noddy's large and colorful family was excused her bad behavior from the ages of 34 to 60. You see, she was Going Through The Change. The Change was much harder on the rest of the family than it was on her. Since she outgrew The Change she now blames her problems on Old Age.

Excuses, excuses.

Major surgery is never a ho-hum experience, but millions of people have scars from stem to stern and normal lives.

Before surgery, try strengthening your abdominal muscles with a few exercises. Healthy muscles will help support the incision and lessen pain. Besides by doing something you'll feel less like the Sunday Roast waiting to be sliced and diced by Medical Experts.

I had a complete hysterectomy at 37--cervical cancer-- back in the 80's when hormone therapy was automatic. The first months on hormones made me feel just like a girl again--a weepy, moody, impossible-to-live-with teenager. Then the hormones settled down.

Phoenix is right about weight bearing exercise for two reasons: promoting healthy bones and lessening mood swings.

On the bright side, you're free of the monthly mess--and anyone who says you'll miss your period suffers from womb envy and uninformed opinions.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 11:56 am
bella - Sorry to hear of your need for surgery. Hope all goes well. When do you admit?

My mother had complete hysterectomy 6 years ago due to cancer. She never took the HRT and has been the same lovable gal she always was.

My step mother had a full hysterectomy at about your age. She also never took the HRT and is healthy and happy.

Given their record, I'd almost consider it a blessing just to be done with everything and not have to worry about stuff anymore.

Let us know when you are going in. I'll keep you in my thoughts.
0 Replies

bella

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 01:15 pm
Smile

Thank you for the stories! Phoenix and Noddy, you've made me laugh with the great attitude.

Thank you Squinney, I will find out Friday about the admit date. The ca-125 results will be back by then and my doctor will discuss with me. It will probably be soon, as the last tumor was benign but fast growing.

It's good to hear that life doesn't go downhill without hrt. I've found so many differing opinions online, and most seem to be anti-hrt. There are also a lot of natural hormone replacement regimens that may be worth trying.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 03:03 pm
My sister had a complete hysterectomy at age 40, and was so glad to finally be rid of her awful PMS symptoms that she refused HRT. Life has been much better for her without all the troublesome hormones.

She did lose a very important excuse for bad behavior, though. Now she has nothing to blame for her meanness. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

bella

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 10:32 pm
Thank you to all for the kind (and entertaining) responses. It would seem that the most troublesome thing ahead is my inability to blame my bitchiness on hormones. Already taken care of. I am proud and feel I've earned the right to be a bitch (within reason, of course).

This predicament seems to be personal for everyone, and I'm positive I can deal wit it intelligently...but it's very nice to hear second (and experienced) opinions.

Cheers to all of you!! Smile
0 Replies

bella

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 10:33 pm
that is, deal WITH it intelligently... Embarrassed
0 Replies