What has been your history of perceiving the suit?

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 11:29 am
Suits are so ingrained in routine life. We see them being worn every day, in real life and on tv. The context of them is enormous, moving from the typical office wear, to a fashion item.
Every now and then I reflect on their existence, obviously aware that they're just as arbitrary as anything else, but what about the reality of this reflection?

Is the suit actually natural, and if it is, is it in a way different from other things natural?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,591 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 12:53 pm
Suits are uniforms and uniforms bring about sameness which brings on order in many places and situations.

That can in turn lead to boredom for some and from there will either be squashed potential or a wild release of creativity.

Haven't worn a suit in nearly 30 years, hopefully it'll stay this way.
Thomas33

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 01:00 pm
@Sturgis,
I haven't worn a suit in a good number of years (except for funerals); although I did want to wear a suit for a young woman a relative while ago.
I was in Llandudno, and saw a female staff worker in a café along the pier; I estimate that was she no older than her early twenties, and I never interacted with her. But it's fascinating that people can have these kinds of experiences, which is what prompted me to ask the question.

TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 10:08 pm
@Thomas33,
You wanted to wear a suit for her? Did you want to do that in order to impress her? Did you think that having a suit on was the only way you could have interacted with her and finding yourself suitless decided to just walk away?
Thomas33

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 04:33 am
@TomTomBinks,
She'd been wearing a shirt, because of her job, and so my wanting to wear a suit later on was a reaction to that; I perceived that wearing the shirt is restrictive, and yet she looked attractive wearing it.
TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 10:30 pm
@Thomas33,
Yes, women look attractive when they wear clothes (or not).
So you wanted to wear a suit to show solidarity with her restriction? As a conversation starter?
roger

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 10:35 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Should'a worn a skirt. Solidarity expressed and attention received.
TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 10:44 pm
@TomTomBinks,
I find that people tend to take suit wearers more seriously than non suit wearers. Having the suit on says "I'm not messing around, I'm all business."
Not at weddings or funerals of course, everyone has them on there.
Why this is so is a little tricky. Is it Hollywood that has trained us to respect the suit? James Bond, Vito Corleone, Frank Sinatra. Or is it something else? Suits are not as common as they once were so maybe we associate them with our fathers and grandfathers. ??
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 10:47 pm
@roger,
He didn't even talk to her. Just gave up. I've done that a few times and have always regretted it.
roger

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 10:50 pm
@TomTomBinks,
That's okay, Tom. I've talked to some and regretted that too.
TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 11:03 pm
@roger,
Laughing
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 01:40 am
@Thomas33,
Quote:
I haven't worn a suit in a good number of years (except for funerals); although I did want to wear a suit for a young woman a relative while ago.
I was in Llandudno, and saw a female staff worker in a café along the pier; I estimate that was she no older than her early twenties, and I never interacted with her. But it's fascinating that people can have these kinds of experiences

This has the makings of a superb opening paragraph in an otherwise quite exciting novel perhaps entitled Unsuited and Undone,

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/65/LlandudnoPier-P6140188.JPG/220px-LlandudnoPier-P6140188.JPG

The superlative Llandudno pier is of course peerless, being the longest in Wales.

roger

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 01:55 am
@nacredambition,
How long did you have to wait to get pier and peerless into the same sentence?

nacredambition

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 02:18 am
@roger,
If you google the definition of superlative you'll realise I only do it when suited, which isn't often these days.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 01:21 pm
@nacredambition,
I actually did write about it, days later. I found it relatively easy to do because of who I'd become by that point in time - someone who could raise their hand to the sun, and want to give their nature experiences to all people on the planet.

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 08:50 pm
@Thomas33,
My first job after graduation from college was to work for Florsheim Shoe as a traveling auditor. Since Florsheim was in the fashion industry, it was required for me to wear a suit. Back in those days, others wore suits and hats. I never bothered wearing a hat.
I'm now in the process of going through all my suits (a whole rack of them) to see if the trousers fit. If they don't, I'm giving them to Goodwill or Salvation Army. It's taking me a long time, because I hate that process.

I'm keeping all my swim suits.
roger

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 09:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The way things go, your suits from the Florsheim era are bound to be back in style - someday.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 09:35 pm
@roger,
At my age, I don't worry about those things. ........ Wink
roger

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 10:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Me neither. If my shoelaces are tied and my zipper is up, that's about all they can expect.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 04:36 am
@roger,
Are you referring to the current state of politics around the world?