How is Trump going to make America great again?

maxdancona

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 09:45 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Donald Trump is pushing White Supremacist rhetoric that far surpasses the normal conservative arguments. I disagree with the argument that Finn is making. But the argument that Finn is making isn't relevant when it comes to discussing the Trump candidacy.

Donald Trump is representing a Monocultural view of American society where the interests of White Christian America come first. He is pushing the idea that the interests of other parts of America, be they Muslims, Latinos or African-Americans, don't matter.

Worse yet, he is playing to the fear of the White Christian Monoculture. Mexicans are rapists. Muslims are Terrorists. Minorities are to be feared.

Finn, there is a moderate Republican logic that can be used to make a reasonable argument about things like immigration law and foreign policy. But that moderate logic has no place in a discussion about Trumpism.... a campaign that is taking extreme views on minorities and playing to the worst fears and frustrations of White Christians.

There will be an interesting aftermath to the Trump campaign, whether or not he gets elected, where thoughtful conservatives are going to have to disentangle themselves from this hateful rhetoric. Actually, they crawled into bed with these ideas a long time ago for political gain... and now they are going to have to figure out this mess.

But Finn, you have the same choice as any other conservative. Do you jump onto this reactionary hateful campaign... or do you distance yourself from it. It seems like you are having difficulty distancing yourself from this ugly mess.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 11:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That's what I imagined - Alternative Dispute Resolution vehicles which are fine as long as the parties can avail themselves of their nation's judiciary system.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 11:22 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

But Finn, you have the same choice as any other conservative. Do you jump onto this reactionary hateful campaign... or do you distance yourself from it. It seems like you are having difficulty distancing yourself from this ugly mess.

Not at all.

I don't need to immerse myself in hyperbolic rants about Trump and his followers to "distance" myself from him. Whether or not you think I've sufficiently "distanced" myself is really of no consequence to me.

It obviously doesn't matter how many times I register my complaints about Trump and state I have no plan on voting for him, you and your confreres seem to want some sort of cyber-blood oath.

In addition, I think you want me to join you in your full throated condemnation of Trump as an evil, racist, would-be dictator. That's not going to happen based on what I, at this point, know about him.

What is certainly not going to happen is for me to join you in your bigotry towards Christians, nor your ill regard for so many white working class Americans.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 11:28 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
In addition, I think you want me to join you in your full throated condemnation of Trump as an evil, racist, would-be dictator. That's not going to happen based on what I, at this point, know about him.

Talk about ignorant, blind, and a liar ..... you said,
Quote:
hyperbolic rants about Trump ....

You still believe what Trump has said aren't lies or exaggerated? "Make America great again?" What makes you believe America isn't already great?

Also, how do you think Trump is going to make America great again?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 11:36 am
@cicerone imposter,
Geez, you said I was on IGNORE - You broke your promise.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 11:56 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Geez, you said I was on IGNORE - You broke your promise.

Finn does have a point here. If you publicly state you are ignoring someone, responding to them is in rather poor taste.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 11:59 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
There is no bigotry towards Christians in what I am saying. My belief is that Christians are part of the American plurality and should be treated no better or worse than any other religion or ethnic group. I don't think that constitutes bigotry.

What I am against is the imposition of Monoculture which defines a group of the traits of "acceptable" Americans that excludes anyone who doesn't fit the mold. The monoculture being pushed by Trump et. al. is White and Christian. But I am opposing the monoculture as a monoculture... I have no problem with White people, or Christians as part of a multicultural society.

I hope that clarifies my position for you.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 12:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
That's what I imagined - Alternative Dispute Resolution vehicles which are fine as long as the parties can avail themselves of their nation's judiciary system.
Due to the constitutional freedom of religion and the separation of state and religion, religious law is part of the public law in Germany (of the various Muslim groups, only a few Ahmadiyya Muslim Communities have this status).
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 12:39 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

You go Miller!!!
Very Happy

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 12:56 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

There is no bigotry towards Christians in what I am saying. My belief is that Christians are part of the American plurality and should be treated no better or worse than any other religion or ethnic group. I don't think that constitutes bigotry.

The problem might just be that the "plurality" you speak of is often much less inclusive than those white Christians you talk of. It's the plurality that might be bigoted against the white Christians, since they might be begrudging the white Christians for their being the early birds that caught the proverbial worm in our economy. Any alienation coming from the plurality is quite obvious, if one looks like a Leave It To Beaver white American, in my opinion.

This "begrudging" is now relabelled "white privilege." Pshaw! The plurality is just as clannish as whites. The economy is a zero sum game. The better players in the game do accumulate wealth, just like in the boardgame Monopoly.
Miller

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 01:01 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

The economy is a zero sum game. The better players in the game do accumulate wealth...

And they don't trust anyone...
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 01:58 pm
@maxdancona,
The one thing about IGNORE on a2k is it's not illegal to peek in once in awhile.
I'm sure it's a common practice who put people on ignore.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 09:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I didn't say it was illegal. I said it was in poor taste.

In my opinion announcing publicly that you are ignoring something is passive aggressive and rude. But once you have done so, at least have the decency to follow through.
giujohn

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 03:34 am
@maxdancona,
Putting someone on ignore= not being able to reasonably refute an argument.
farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 04:33 am
@giujohn,
End of Week one in the Trump campaign nd we still know noting of details about his "I can fix it" mantra.

giujohn

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 04:40 am
@farmerman,
Yup... well you can always vote for someone who you know lies easier than she takes a breath... And take your chances.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 04:50 am
@farmerman,
Just wait for those overnight solutions!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 06:00 am
@giujohn,
Keep telling yourself that. Putting someone on ignore means not having to deal with the repetitive posts of someone too stupid to realise they lost the argument long ago. Try asking someone who does not have your, previously acknowledged, comprehension problems.
giujohn

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 06:02 am
@izzythepush,
Uh... aren't you supposed to have me on ignore?
Miller

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 06:25 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I didn't say it was illegal. I said it was in poor taste.

In my opinion announcing publicly that you are ignoring something is passive aggressive and rude. But once you have done so, at least have the decency to follow through.

I agree...It's not a nice thing to ignore people and then tell them you're ignoring them. It's in poor taste and of course, very, very rude.

Nicely put, maxdancona...
0 Replies