Nader off the ballot in Florida, for now.

Brand X

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 01:36 pm
Excerpt:

Quote:
Nader off the ballot in Florida

By Bill Cotterell

DEMOCRAT POLITICAL EDITOR

In a tactical victory for John Kerry, a Leon County circuit judge issued an emergency order Wednesday night knocking Ralph Nader off Florida's ballot.

"I've never seen, in 40 years, a more pell-mell kangaroo court procedure involving any of our third-party activities," Nader told the Tallahassee Democrat after the ruling by Judge Kevin Davey. "This is nothing more than a judge responding to the political imperatives of a nervous and corrupt Democratic Party."

The ruling stands for now, but could be reversed later.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,906 • Replies: 40
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 01:39 pm
The Dems are threatened by Nader. It's shame to see the electoral process perverted like this.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 08:25 pm
All I can say is "hurray"
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 08:42 pm
Huh.

Yeah, the Dems are threatened. That's pretty much a statement of fact if you look at three-way vs. two-way polls, and if you look at last election. It's not like, "ooh, they can't handle it, they're all threatened..." Nader's a threat.

That said, I have sympathy for the "kangaroo court" stuff. I wish Nader would just quit already. Failing that, I don't know. I dislike any whiff of unfair play about it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:04 pm
frankly, I think it stinks.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 12:41 am
I'd like to see Ralph voluntarily get out and throw his votes to the "lesser of two evils." If it had to be done by force, nice work if someone figured out how.

To muck with the electoral college again is not a favorable scenario to those of us who would like to see Mr. Bush pack it and go.

If we are to have third party candidates, it will be necessary to change our electoral system. There are undemocratic forces built in as "checks" - such as the fact that the unpopulated states still get two senators per state.

And the electoral college is a nifty little conspiracy to simulate unanimity isn't it (with a tiny margin of symbolic flakes).

There are numerous examples of how our system is loaded to empower those who know how to take advantage of others. And of course those who know how protect their modus operandi and define the qualifications for the foxes who guard the various henhouses.

All we have to defend ourselves with against those who would exploit us are those basic rights some of which are now in jeopardy of being set aside for some notion of a greater good.

I'm willing. I'll get private for National Security. Here's something beyong the reasonable:

I bought Scott tissues today because occasionally I like the sensation of the unrecycled stuff. I know it's not "PC." But it ought to be considered not only private, but pretty much, and summarily irrelevant.

So what does Dick Cheney think would happen if Nader got elected.

Should we start building fallout shelters? Or should we think about putting an electric motor in the front of the Corvair? (You know, for balance).
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 01:49 pm
I regret my impulsive hurray. I suppose I am getting too into this political stuff and am loosing sight of some logic.

Nevertheless, the nader thing is maddening.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 01:56 pm
Interesting. Here, almost anyone who can get 10 or 20 people to sign their nomination papers can run for office. Of course, they can't claim a tax credit if they get less than a specified percentage of the votes cast, so that's a bit of a disincentive.

It would be nice to see U.S. voters have more of a range of voting options.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 02:08 pm
padmasambava wrote:
I'd like to see Ralph voluntarily get out and throw his votes to the "lesser of two evils." If it had to be done by force, nice work if someone figured out how.

Very democratic of you, 'I don't like your message, so I won't allow you to speak (By force if need be) Rolling Eyes

padmasambava wrote:
To muck with the electoral college again is not a favorable scenario to those of us who would like to see Mr. Bush pack it and go.

The Electoral College is how our system works... if you don't like it, petition Congress to change it.

padmasambava wrote:
If we are to have third party candidates, it will be necessary to change our electoral system. There are undemocratic forces built in as "checks" - such as the fact that the unpopulated states still get two senators per state.

Unpopulated states get two senators to prevent 4 or 5 states from deciding everything for the whole country. You in California may have no interest in constructing levees to prevent the Mississippi from overflowing into your backyard, but the 'underpopulated' states have a keen interest in that topic. Without equal representation in the Senate, California, New York, Texas and Florida could pretty much tell the rest of the country to 'go to hell' and make it stick. Not too fair if you come from one of the 'little states'.

padmasambava wrote:
And the electoral college is a nifty little conspiracy to simulate unanimity isn't it (with a tiny margin of symbolic flakes).

As above, it exists to give each state a chance to be heard. Being heard in Congress or the nation is easy if, like yourself, you come from California, but some other states might just like a say in the democratic process if you don't mind. OK?

padmasambava wrote:
There are numerous examples of how our system is loaded to empower those who know how to take advantage of others. And of course those who know how protect their modus operandi and define the qualifications for the foxes who guard the various henhouses.

Have NO idea of what point you are trying to make here?

padmasambava, you seem to espouse democracy and 'democratic process' when it suits you, but you do not want the chance of 'your guy' losing because of a third party interloper.

Just curious, how did you feel about Ross Perot's candidacy? The numbers showed that Bill Clinton would have lost to President Bush had Perot not run... did you think that was unfair to President Bush? Do you think that Mr. Perot should have been removed from the ballot by force?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 02:55 pm
Is it possible that Nader is secretly a republican supporter of Bush? If not he is certainly acting the part. He can't win, his voice will not be heard and the only thing he will succeed in doing is helping elect Bush. I cannot understand his motives other than to satisfy his inflated ego.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 02:59 pm
Fedral wrote:
padmasambava wrote:

Very democratic of you, 'I don't like your message, so I won't allow you to speak (By force if need be) Rolling Eyes

padmasambava wrote:

The Electoral College is how our system works... if you don't like it, petition Congress to change it.

padmasambava wrote:

Unpopulated states get two senators to prevent 4 or 5 states from deciding everything for the whole country. You in California may have no interest in constructing levees to prevent the Mississippi from overflowing into your backyard, but the 'underpopulated' states have a keen interest in that topic. Without equal representation in the Senate, California, New York, Texas and Florida could pretty much tell the rest of the country to 'go to hell' and make it stick. Not too fair if you come from one of the 'little states'.

padmasambava wrote:

As above, it exists to give each state a chance to be heard. Being heard in Congress or the nation is easy if, like yourself, you come from California, but some other states might just like a say in the democratic process if you don't mind. OK?

padmasambava wrote:

Have NO idea of what point you are trying to make here?

padmasambava, you seem to espouse democracy and 'democratic process' when it suits you, but you do not want the chance of 'your guy' losing because of a third party interloper.

Just curious, how did you feel about Ross Perot's candidacy? The numbers showed that Bill Clinton would have lost to President Bush had Perot not run... did you think that was unfair to President Bush? Do you think that Mr. Perot should have been removed from the ballot by force?

In the name of fighting terror Americans have been willing to go farther than they have in the past.

In the name of getting rid of George Bush a lot of Americans feel just as strongly as we do about terrorism.

It doesn't have anything to do with power or some kind of ego thing, but about the Bush Administration and their policies and their decisions that we feel are bad for our country. It is also about the people themselves and their total dishonesty and trickery and to top it all their success at it.

Nader stands between having our country back or having four more years of George Bush and who in the world knows what else could happen.

In other words desperate times calls for desperate measures.

But maybe we should rethink that. After all, we don't we become that which we fight and I am including myself most of all.

I know I need a break from this board. I am becoming too tied up in it. So, I will see you all monday.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 03:12 pm
Quote:
I cannot understand his motives other than to satisfy his inflated ego.

So what else is new? Nader always has been about Nader!
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 03:15 pm
revel wrote:

In the name of fighting terror Americans have been willing to go farther than they have in the past.

Probably because those who would see us destroyed have gone further than every before in attacking us.

revel wrote:

In the name of getting rid of George Bush a lot of Americans feel just as strongly as we do about terrorism.

And a lot of Americans feel that George Bush is the best answer to the terrorist gauntlet being thrown down on us

revel wrote:

It doesn't have anything to do with power or some kind of ego thing, but about the Bush Administration and their policies and their decisions that we feel are bad for our country. It is also about the people themselves and their total dishonesty and trickery and to top it all their success at it.

Yet there are just as many Americans (If you believe the polls) who believe that John Kerry is NOT the right answer for our country.

revel wrote:

Nader stands between having our country back or having four more years of George Bush and who in the world knows what else could happen.

You mean that Nader stands in the way of four more years of Democrat appeasment of the terrorists and four more years of ignoring attacks against our interests. He stands in the way of four more years of selling our souls to the U.N. kissing the a**es of Old Europe. No thanks.

revel wrote:

In other words, 'by any means nescessary'? So airing a story with dubious, possibly false, documents to hurt the President is ok? So a known liar publishing a book accusing the President and his wife of doing drugs in Camp David and accusing the First Lady of selling drugs is ok as long you get your way? Do the ends really justify the means to you people?

revel wrote:

But maybe we should rethink that. After all, we don't we become that which we fight and I am including myself most of all.

Dear God I hope so...

Be well over the weekend, see you on Monday. (I will be battening down for Hurricane #3 here in Fla.)
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 07:15 am
Fedral wrote:
revel wrote:

Probably because those who would see us destroyed have gone further than every before in attacking us.

revel wrote:

And a lot of Americans feel that George Bush is the best answer to the terrorist gauntlet being thrown down on us

revel wrote:

Yet there are just as many Americans (If you believe the polls) who believe that John Kerry is NOT the right answer for our country.

revel wrote:

You mean that Nader stands in the way of four more years of Democrat appeasment of the terrorists and four more years of ignoring attacks against our interests. He stands in the way of four more years of selling our souls to the U.N. kissing the a**es of Old Europe. No thanks.

revel wrote:

In other words, 'by any means nescessary'? So airing a story with dubious, possibly false, documents to hurt the President is ok? So a known liar publishing a book accusing the President and his wife of doing drugs in Camp David and accusing the First Lady of selling drugs is ok as long you get your way? Do the ends really justify the means to you people?

revel wrote:

Dear God I hope so...

Be well over the weekend, see you on Monday. (I will be battening down for Hurricane #3 here in Fla.)

I only needed a short while to regroup.

If you think that forgetting the author of the terrorist act that happened on this very day three years ago is a good way to fight terror then you are correct, bush is your guy.

When I talked of doing things because of desperation I was only referring to how Nader was taken off the ballot by that judge. At first I thought it was a good thing until I actually followed the link and realized that the ends do not justify the means and if I support what the judge did then I am no better than the Bush administration and Karl Rove in particular.

He overstepped himself in my opinion.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 07:16 am
By the way I hope you keep safe during the hurrican.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 09:44 am
I appreciate where you are coming from revel.

Sorry if my reply seemed less than polite, I am half Italian and half Scottish and when my blood gets 'up' I have a tendency to argue with people, trees, rocks, mirrors ... either that or eat some haggis (Joke)

Spending the weekend boarding up the windows ... again

Shopping for water and canned goods ... again

Trying to find enough gasoline for the generator ... again.

Dreading 4 or 5 days in the Florida summer without airconditioning ... again.

Ahh well, such is life.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 09:58 am
Come to NY. We get some snow once in awhile.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 03:13 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Come to NY. We get some snow once in awhile.

I lived in Jersey for over 20 years McG.

I have been living here in Florida for almost 14 years (Ever since I got out of the Army)

I tried spending a few weeks in Jersey around Christmastime '99.

I was fricken freezing for three weeks ... I have no blood left...

Give me the warm anytime.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 03:18 pm
Yeah, but that's Jersey.

Info
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 03:57 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Interesting. Here, almost anyone who can get 10 or 20 people to sign their nomination papers can run for office. Of course, they can't claim a tax credit if they get less than a specified percentage of the votes cast, so that's a bit of a disincentive.

It would be nice to see U.S. voters have more of a range of voting options.

Ah - same system here - but here one adds a preferences system - so that if the person/party one votes for is not elected, one's vote goes to one's next preference.

And, in theory I agree with you - but in practice, how I wish Nader would get abducted by aliens, treated very well for a few months, and returned with the utmost gentleness to earth, nicely rested, well after the election is over.

He may well be what gets Bush re-elected.
0 Replies