Too Much Discipline/Too Strict?

Noddy24

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 11:51 am
Preschool can be wonderful and emotionally exhausting at the same time. Did her relapse on potty training coincide with starting preschool?

Does she have an after school snack? If not, can you put one in her schedule? A little fruit? Some peanut butter crackers?

Perhaps an earlier bedtime. She's expending a great deal of energy being Big Girl at preschool and may need a little extra rest until preschool become part of her routine.

Good luck.
0 Replies

apmom1266

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 01:59 pm
primergray wrote:
What's the best way to deal with brattiness overall?

Last night my little one (almost 3) complained about everything at dinner. I make a point of not making special meals, just serving a bunch of things and including stuff she has eaten before.

Sometimes kids decide they dislike something that they'd previously enjoyed. So your approach is a good one; providing lots of nutritional choices at each meal.

primergray wrote:
She didn't want anything, although she hadn't eaten much earlier that day. She was angry when I didn't get her something else to eat and started whining. So I ignored her. She knocked her peas and corn (usually a favorite) on the floor. I just stared at her. She cried, but persisted in behavior she knows I don't like. She smeared her pasta sauce all over her arms and face. I abruptly ended the meal and cleaned her up. I continued to ignore her, which caused her to cry some more. Eventually, when she calmed down some, I picked her up and cuddled her a bit, and talked to her some more about what upset me.

Sounds like she might have been tired, not feeling well(teething, a bug, etc), or should could have just woken up on the wrong side of the bed. Don't you just ever wake up cranky? Why shouldn't children?

primergray wrote:
I don't know if my approach is correct. Her whining, defiant episodes seem to be increasing.

A few months ago she was having frequent bouts of terrible twos, then they lessened significantly, and now seemed to have made a return.

Some kids can take ignoring, some can't. I've tried ignoring and time-out, and even just sending a cranky one to bed without dinner. If they didn't eat they weren't that hungry and won't starve to death; mind you, you may have to wake up a little earlier than usual to serve breakfast.

primergray wrote:
Did I mention that when it came time to put her bib on, she wanted to do it herself. So I let her, but she was having problems and getting frustrated. So I took a few steps toward her. She yelled, "no, mommy, go away! Cook!

Try velcro bibs and clothes that are easy to put on and get off. She may be trying to do more for herself, so let her. Her world can be so frustrating, she's so little and sometimes things we think of as easy and not a problem aren't so for little ones who are trying to be bigger.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 07:17 am
Quote:
Noddy you may have hit it on the nose. My daughter was the first born grandchild to my parents. Since then a little sister and a little cousin. My mom watches all of them on certain days. She was once the apple of everyone's eyes, but now there are two other little cute girls coming onto her turf. Also she is a wonderful little girl when she is the center of attention- she thrives on it. In addition, at least with me, the melt downs typically occur during the same time of day, early evening - I like to call it the bewitching hour. I think she is a little hyper from the day, but beginning to tire so it is almost that transition time.

Funny to look back at this --- just a little bit ago my mom made mention of my daughter - the naughty fresh one when she was little. She is now going to graduate college next week.

My mom's comment is funny how L- grew up so sweet and caring - she was such a little brat when she was little.

And it is also funny as I really do not remember her being so bratty - I do remember my mom saying she was and I do remember one incident being angry at her for being bratty to my mom. Quite honestly she is about the sweetest girl almost to a fault now.

I guess I really did not have to worry about this. She is a wonderful and kind young lady.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 08:18 am
@Linkat,
I asked my uncle what I was like when very little. He said, "You were a mean little sh*t." He was likely right. I have a vague memory of this uncle lying on a couch reading a comic book. I sneaked around behind him then launched an attack, snatching away the comic, ripping it up. I've changed since then. I respect comic books too much to damage any.
0 Replies