Listing complete sentences

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 06:05 pm
So I have a story where a character is arguing and says, "I cook the food, I do the dishes, and I clean up after you!"

And I am wondering if that is grammatically correct. I know the rules for lists, but since the items in the list can stand as complete sentences it looks funny to me. Part of me wants to use semicolons because semicolons are acceptable in more complex tiered lists. Or I could just be overthinking this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 701 • Replies: 10
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 06:42 pm
@jaywolfent,
I think you're overthinking it. If you like, split it into two sentences, e. g.

"I cook the food. I do the dishes, and I clean up after you!"
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 07:19 pm
@jaywolfent,
It's grammatically correct.
roger

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 07:30 pm
I like periods. Sometimes, short, choppy sentences can be used to great effect. The example in the original sentence sounds like a great opportunity to use lots of periods.
0 Replies

jaywolfent

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 07:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks all. =)

Sometimes when proofreading I get so caught up looking for comma splices, I overthink things like this.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 08:06 pm
@jaywolfent,
One of my favorite writers, Alan Furst, doesn't always use full sentences but just types the way people talk. He doesn't use that a lot, just occasionally, not in every book, and I am fine with it as it can add momentum in some situations. I know this doesn't directly respond to your question, but I add it since writing can have a kind of style that doesn't always follow rules.
jaywolfent

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 09:28 pm
@ossobucotemp,
That's a good point, and I agree with it. But I'd like to know what the rule is and why I'm breaking it before I break it for style.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 09:52 am
@jaywolfent,
I agree.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 01:54 pm
@jaywolfent,
jaywolfent wrote:

Thanks all. =)

Sometimes when proofreading I get so caught up looking for comma splices, I overthink things like this.

Yep, comma splices. Mechanically speaking, semicolons are preferred, but they look ugly. A period after the first clause and a comma between the other two, as Jespah suggests, is more stylish.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 02:16 pm
@InfraBlue,
When the first sentence introduces the following sentences, that works very well.
0 Replies

Sage of Main Street

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 02:27 pm
@jaywolfent,
I wouldn't use semicolons when the last clause starts with "and." That makes it all connected, whereas "...dishes; I clean.." would be less connected, and periods would be even less.
0 Replies