Polyphonic novels

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 04:30 am
Can you get "polyphonic novels" at first sight?

Context:
Polyphonic novels, such as Dostoevsky's, make up a new novelistic genre, according to the Russian theorist's initial views. In this kind of fiction the reader hears several contesting voices, which are not subject to an attempt at unification on the author's part: these voices are engaged in a dialogue in which no point of view is privileged, no final word is heard. The author stands on the same level as his heroes, relinquishing his "surplus of vision". He knows nothing more than they do and may be surprised by their words at any point...

http://www.unibuc.ro/eBooks/lls/RaduSurdulescu-FormStructuality/Mikhail%20Bakhtin%20and%20the%20Formalist%20Theories.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 756 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 05:35 am
Not at first sight--obviously, they are the first words of the paragraph. Simply standing alone, polyphonic novels means "many sounds novels." The author here may be using an established convention of description in using the term--it is one with which i am unfamiliar. I haven't kept up on literary criticism in English since i left university however. I rather suspect this is one of those terms which literary types make up in order to have something to write about, and justify their tenure at a university. The self-evident use of it here is that the author has provided a set of characters from which it is difficult or impossible to distinguish a single protagonist--The Brothers Karamozov would be the best example from Dostoevsky--and hence, the critic alleges "many voices" in the novel, deciding to give this the rather pretentious name "polyphonic"--"many voices."
0 Replies

Mister Micawber

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 06:48 am
'Polyphonic novel:

A term used by Mikhail Bakhtin to describe a dialogical text which, unlike a monological text, does not depend on the centrality of a single authoritative voice. Such a text incorporates a rich plurality and multiplicity of voices, styles, and points of view. It comprises, in Bakhtin's phrase, "a plurality of independent and unmerged voices and consciousnesses, a genuine polyphony of fully valid voices." '

Ah, googling-- gotta love it.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:03 am
Thanks.

I'd read your replies later. My eyes sore now. Gotta have a rest. Very Happy
0 Replies