BOSTON, Dys and Diane's Big Adventure.

Diane

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 12:02 pm
OK< where to start--Yes, Roger, we are really looking forward to meeting you, BigD and Urs in Denver on the 1st. Can't wait to hear about your friend's attempt to hold off the posse in La Plata County!

Gus, your concern for the security of our house is so touching. I find it hard to believe you would be willing to leave the swamp just for our benefit. Maybe we will leave Fred behind to help you. Just be careful, his bites do draw blood. For a little guy who can't weigh more than 6 ounces, he is a tough little character, but I'm sure he'll sense that your heart is pure as the driven snow.....How about just meeting us in Boston???

Thanks, Jes and George, for the info on the Holiday Inn. We want to stay as close as possible to Boston, but something that is easy access to the turnpike and near the Tube. Can't wait to see both of you.

Bethie, what a treat if you and Set could come!! Oct. 8, 9, 10 and 11 will compose Columbus Day weekend, so we will avoid Boston during that time. There probably would not be any hotels available then anyway. Shall we try for the following weekend? During the week is also fine for us, but we don't need to worry about work, so we will plan our stay around what is most convenient for all of you.

One thing I would really like if it is at all possible--a quiet place that has round tables. My hearing is fading to the point that I probably need a hearing aid. Even outside would be great if the weather cooperates.

Frank, we were thinking of meeting you for lunch in NYC sometime after the Boston meet. We can set a date when we know more about timing for Boston.

I've missed the Boston group so much. It'll be wonderful to see you all again.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 03:26 pm
Note (this should not change any plans, but be aware of this when making reservations) -

October is Homecoming month for some area schools:
Tufts Saturday, October 2
Harvard Saturday, October 9th
BU October 15 - 17
Northeastern Saturday October 30

So I'd suggest making reservations asap.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 03:56 pm
Wow, Jes, thanks for those dates. You are an amazing woman!! For now, if everyone is copasetic, we'll plan on the weekend of the 15th and hope BU hasn't already reserved all the hotels in the area. We still have plenty of time to cancel reservations if another date appears to be better, but for now, that will be the weekend we'll be in Boston.

Another idea on the place we meet; Soz mentioned having a difficult time when she met with other a2kers because of not being able to see well enough to read lips. Between Soz and me, we'll need to be able to easily see as many people as possible in one place and a place that is as quiet as possible. A round table in a quiet restaurant--preferably in a separate room--would be ideal. Not asking for much, am I?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 04:40 pm
Hrmm.. I guess it depends on how many are there. Vinny Testa's has some round tables downstairs that seat 8 or so. I'll see where else I can think of that has round tables. Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 06:04 pm
So - here's what I've learned from a bunch of these get-togethers I've been to - Friday/Saturday nights at a place that serves drinks = bad.

Saturday afternoons, Chinese restaurant, dim sum = good. Actually, dim sum places have been good for a bunch of different get-togethers I've been involved in - big round tables - usually not too wildly noisy - usually easily affordable for everyone - and good tea!

Breakfast, anyday, almost anywhere (other than a pancake palace where we were in 3 or 4 different booths) = good.

Late late night at places that serve all day breakfasts = good.

Salem - padoga (hehehehehehehehe) = good.

Of course this assessment is based ONLY on my experience trying to talk to other people, and understanding what they're saying.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 06:20 pm
Ah, I do remember that pagoda in Salem with fondness. I found out that, on my first internet get together, my internet buddies weren't serial killers, just great people. However, the pagoda is BIG. Can't hear or even all the way across.

Breakfast can sometimes be crowded on a weekend day, but midday meals, after the usual lunch hour will most likely be quiet.

I found a hotel in Woburn, the Crown Plaza, at which I got a great rate. It has a free shuttle to the tube, etc., and free parking. Is that a possibility for a meeting place? Sometimes restaurants in hotels generally aren't as crowded as regular restaurants.

Speaking of generally, where is General Lee? Is it possible for him to fly to Boston?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:08 pm
Also, it doesn't have to be on a weekend, but that is usually the time most people have some free time. Just let us know. I can always change reservations......I hope.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:19 pm
Quote:
Wow, Jes, thanks for those dates. You are an amazing woman!!
Very Happy
<< agreeing profusely >>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:21 pm
Oh, I'm far from a definite! Just a hmm maybe that'd be cool hmmm.

The biggest problem by far I still don't know how I'd overcome -- interpreter just doesn't work in this kind of setting (lecture yes, chatting/ conversation no), and if it's more than 2 people I'm plumb lost no matter what the lighting is. I'm getting the last bits of what one person is saying when someone else starts in, I whip over to that person but missed the beginning and am just starting to orient myself in that sentence when someone else is talking...

What I do in most situations like that is just kind of let it all wash over me for a while, don't say much, figure out some accents, some mannerisms, who's easiest to understand, who's most interesting, and then as the evening wears on get into smaller discussion groups or better yet one-on-one, and that's when people start to figure out that I'm not actually a passive little wallflower. But you guys already KNOW that. :-D

What would be ideal for me is probably if I walked in, hugged everyone, took a good look at all of you (leaving Dys for last and then when he shoots a "see?" glance at Diane, grabbing him by the shoulders and saying "I SO don't ignore you!!" ;-) ), and then walked off to have dinner with my best friend. Then the next day have a whole series of one-on-ones with the lot of you.

Yeah, not sure how it would work...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:22 pm
Aw isn't RP sweet!! :-D

(I agree too tho. Finally meeting Jes is a big draw.)
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:29 pm
Soz, could you meet us in our hotel or at a little spot anywhere in the City for an hour or so? It would be lovely to actually be able to talk to you without too many distractions. Late breakfast or coffe in the afternoon..anything that would work.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:34 pm
You know I am listening in with not jealousy, not envy, I'm past that into a nirvana of oh, me, too, but mostly pleasure that you can all meet.

On the hearing and dimsum... I question that at a busy time. At least in LA... I went to a dimsum brunch with a bunch of architectural historian friends with a big round table and missed most of the conversation with all the clanking noises and shouts, general clatter, when my hearing was probably what Diane's is now (mine's worse, what?) BUT that was on a Sunday... do they have them on weekdays?

But with a round table in a quiet place, that would give Soz a chance, no?

A nice cheesy non hip coffee shop could work... re conversation. Hmmm, a typical holiday inn (or equivalent) dining room.. You can always meet again at a noisy place, but for the main get together...

Well, a bunch of us in SF found a place(Solea) that was both elegant and gave us our own room, but that took a whole bunch of searching. Nehmind. And we found one just by walking down the street another day, when the St. Francis coffeeshop turned out to be defunct and we walked across the street. Which brings up another story..

Anyway, I think we learned to move around, not sit in the same chair for hours.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:44 pm
Dunno about Bahstin. Our dim sum joints do it seven days a week.

Back to your regular scheduled programming.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:55 pm
ehBeth, than-Q for using the correct spelling...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:13 pm
I spend much of my time not hearing enough now, so I's attuned to Soz and Di, to have room, physical or psychological. to cone down.

Watching myself be interfering---
isn't there some situation where you could all meet and some split off and talk.. eh, a hotel room suite?????
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:53 pm
The non-hip places give us a greater chance of actually being able to visit. Some Friendly's are good for that. At this point in my life, I don't give a hoot for the "Latest Best Place;" I just want to yak as much as possible in the short amount of time we have.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:59 pm
Chef Chang's House, on Beacon Street (near Kenmore Square) is fairly quiet, and has them big round tables with lazy suzans, and awesome food.
we go there once or twice a month...
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 07:49 am
Diane wrote:
...I found a hotel in Woburn, the Crown Plaza, at which I got a great rate. It has a free shuttle to the tube, etc., and free parking. Is that a possibility for a meeting place? Sometimes restaurants in hotels generally aren't as crowded as regular restaurants.

There are several resaurants right around there. China Pearl in Woburn offers dim sum (pretty good, too) on weekends. Far East Cafe in Woburn has a dim sum buffet. Dim sum not as good as China Pearl (in my humble opinion), but not bad at all and plenty of it. These are Chinese restaurants, so if we call ahead, I'm sure we can get round tables.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 07:54 am
One more Woburn note and then I'll shut up.
For mobile yakability, there is a big, roomy Au Bon Pain also in Woburn.

(Woburn is next to Stoneham, so I know the area.)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 08:23 am
Region Philbis wrote:
Chef Chang's House, on Beacon Street (near Kenmore Square) is fairly quiet, and has them big round tables with lazy suzans, and awesome food.
we go there once or twice a month...

It's also right by a T stop (green line, C). Woburn is also nice. I think we will have to move out of the city proper, as there will be issues with parking and just plain being able to get into places.

RP, do you remember that place in Davis Square? Another possibility is in Boston (but I'm thinking it would be impossible to get into) - the Union Oyster House. We were there for a gathering, um, 2 ? 3 ? years ago and had our own room. Another possibility is to - gasp - do more research. We might be able to find places like the kinds places where people hold bridal showers. Little, intimate, with a room.
0 Replies