friends marriage is rocky

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 05:54 pm
My best friend and I are like sisters, we are so much alike that we say we are soul mates. She married her 7 year fiance last June, and just found out that he cheated on her at least the first 4 years they were together. He swears he hasn't cheated since they got married and that he only gets these girls phone numbers to boost his self confidence. I think he's a liar. But she is so devistated that she is actually wanting to give it one more try. How do I continue to be supportive of her and her marriage when I am disgusted with him? Please Help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 638 • Replies: 8
No top replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 06:13 pm
Just be there for her. She'll need you.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Crying or Very sad PP
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 06:13 pm
Don't say anything bad about him, no matter how much you want to. Listen to her rant, if you wish, although if I were in your position I would advise her to get counseling and tell her counselor everything.

Why am I suggesting this? Because, inevitably, she will either decide to stay with him, or not, but either way it may be difficult to look you in the eye if she feels she's said too much to you. I know you are close and all that, but try to resist the temptation to let her unload on you. Yes, you want to be a good friend, but if she decides to stay with him, she is really going to have a problem with anything she's said to you. And if she decides to leave him, she may regret that (and you could be the object of her wrath if she blames you for the demise of the relationship), or, even if she doesn't regret it, she may still have a problem with you knowing intimate details.

A close friend of mine married a guy I couldn't stand. I said nothing, and it was the best thing I could have done. She divorced him after less than a year, and later on told me she was relieved that I didn't give her a hard time about him while they were wed.

It's very tempting to play amateur psychologist, particularly if someone is feeding you information. You want to be a good friend and that's understandable, but the best way you can be a friend is to urge her to work with a professional.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:37 pm
Jespah is right. Even if you and this gal are Siamese twins, her marriage vows involved "forsaking all others"--even if his marriage vows skipped that clause.

Listen, but give sympathy, not opinions. Don't call him an evil, treacherous, two-timing sob. Tell her it must be incredibly hard to cope with the facts of repeated infidelity. Don't say that he's lying in his teeth that his little black book is just a private ego booster. Tell her that you understand that his little black book is upsetting.

The best of best friends understand that "forsaking all other" clause.

Are there children involved?
0 Replies

southgal81

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 09:01 pm
Noddy24,

There are no children involved.
0 Replies

southgal81

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 09:02 pm
Jespah,

Thanx for such wonderful advice.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:05 am
Embarrassed Aw, shucks. I gotta tell ya, it was not easy to avoid trashing him. I had to keep telling myself Her friendship is more important than my being able to say bad things about him.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 11:26 am
southgal--

Glad to hear that no children are involved. Your friend can concentrate on her own needs without worrying about helpless children.
0 Replies

southgal81

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 12:24 pm
You are so right. Thanks for the advice. Smile
0 Replies