with more than twice as many ... as...

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 10:11 am
I think if English speakers are 200, and French speakers are 100,

we can say "with more than twice as many English-speakers as
French-speakers". Right?

Context:
===================================
Canada's population represents two principal and several smaller national and cultural groups.
People of British and French descent compose more than half the population, while those of
German, Italian, Ukrainian, Chinese, Dutch, American Indian, and Inuit origin make up significant
minorities. The principal religion of the country is Roman Catholicism, with the United Church of
Canada and the Anglican Church of Canada also claiming large memberships. English and
French are the main languages spoken, with more than twice as many English-speakers as
French-speakers.
Canada's population has a relatively low annual rate of growth by world
standards, and the birth and death rates are also comparatively low. The infant mortality rate is
about average for a Western industrialized country. More than three-fourths of the population
lives in urban areas. Emigration, at times considerable, has tended toward the United States.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 546 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 10:15 am
You would need at least 201 Anglophones, as opposed to 100 Francophones, in order to say "with more than twice as many . . . " -- otherwise, you have exactly twice as many.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 10:20 am
Great Setanta!

I've learned two new words from you: Anglophone and Francophone.

I guess another two: Americanophone and Chinesophone. Hmm, poor, can not fine then in dictionary! Razz
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 10:36 am
Sinophone might be the word you seek, Oristar: "sino-" is the common combining form for things and people Chinese in the English language--although i don't know if such a word exists.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 10:57 am
Oristar, i'd like to commend you once again on the improvement of your ability to express yourself in English. I am most impressed by the rapidity with which you master the language.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:00 pm
(Yanking back from the tangential)
Canada and the USA are experiencincing similar phenomena. Regional factionalism is eroding old alliances.
It appears as if the western regions of both nations have siphoned off pretty much all they wanted (people, politics and military coverage), and now would rather distance themselves rather than give back.
The old eastern centers have few of the natural resources found in the western regions (all the petrodeposits are out west)... and the westerners resent any benefit (from the taxation on their regional resources/production) going to the Old east.

It appears as if the QuebeƧois may end up being shed as a separate entity... and as if Texas, California, Nevada, etc., would like to become a co-alition separate from the the old US.

The forces of Division seem to be gaining upon the forces of Cohesion... and what emerges is balkanization.

Yep, we've all seen how well THAT works...
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 09:30 pm
Thanks for commending, Setanta.

I'll do my best to the true mastery of English language. Smile
0 Replies