Is TV bad for you?

Badboy

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 04:43 am
There is this idea that TV is bad for you,possibly causing Alzheimers.

It seems that the brain,when watching TV switches into `neutral', TV doesn't require a lot of concentration, so you are not using your brain.

It has also been noticed that in countries with low TV ownership,they are few,if any Alzheimers cases.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,165 • Replies: 9
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:26 am
I have seen some studies that support the idea that an physically active lifestyle and engaging in thinking activities like doing crossword puzzles can stave off Alzheimers disease so I can see where sitting on the sofa watching TV with one's mind in neutral might have an effect. Building neural connections allows the brain to use many paths to information.

But Alzheimers is a physical disease. Doctors are now saying they can look at a young person and fairly reliably know whether they will develop Alzheimers. There are also some genetic markers for the disease. Right now, noone seems to really know the "cause" of the disease.

I have never seen a study that links televison viewing countries with the incidence of Alzheimers but I would guess that undeveloped countries have shorter lifespans which would indeed account for a lower incidence of Alzheimers. I would be interested in seeing a study like this if you can direct me to it.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:25 am
I don't think documentaries are bad for. That's what I watch.

I have a satelite dish that has lots of educational channels, history, TLC, biography, PBS, Nova, etc.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:41 am
Is TV bad for you?
Boomerang, I believe that is the right explanion.

Its seems that if you have an active lifestyle you are less likely to develop dementia,utilizing your braincells helps keep them healthy.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 11:56 am
Re: Is TV bad for you?
Badboy wrote:
There is this idea that TV is bad for you,possibly causing Alzheimers.

It seems that the brain,when watching TV switches into `neutral', TV doesn't require a lot of concentration, so you are not using your brain.

It has also been noticed that in countries with low TV ownership,they are few,if any Alzheimers cases.

In countries with low TV ownership, people generally don't live to be old enough to get Alzheimers.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 04:25 am
Actually,they have done similiar studies in developed countries with similiar results eg.those without TV less likely to develope dementia.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 03:31 pm
WooHoo! Maybe I'm doing something right! I haven't had TV in over 5 years!! I can't remember when I put my keys though....
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 04:32 am
TV may not be good for little children,studies suggest it can can cause ADHD in children.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 05:24 am
I watch quite a bit of tv.
I watch 1 soap, comedy programmes or factual tv.I try to avoid it at other times unless I really have nothing else to do and need to be entertained.

I dont think its bad for you except a while back I realised all I had to talk about was TV.
I think it does require concentration if your watching something like a documentary, even comedy programmes have a complicated plot eg League of Gentlemen.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 05:36 am
Badboy wrote:
TV may not be good for little children,studies suggest it can can cause ADHD in children.

I have yet to see any studies that actually prove that ADHD even exists.
I have reseasched the ADHD subject extensively and there are several doctors who will argue its existence due to lack of medical evidence. Some say it's made up by the pharmaceutical companies and the psychiatric association who are pushing dangerous drugs on children and adults simply to make a profit.
0 Replies