Anyone still watch soap operas?

Rae

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2002 04:43 pm
Went to lunch with my boss yesterday. The restaurant had several televisions on ~ one

happened to be showing a soap opera. I think I laughed about it and was shocked to find out that my boss happened to be a

fan of this particular show and she quickly brought me up to date with what was happening.....
Rolling Eyes

I'm sure there are tons of folks who still watch these programs, otherwise they wouldn't be on the air.....but,

why? Why? Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,614 • Replies: 46
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2002 05:06 pm
Last time that I watched soap operas was when my

son was an infant, and I had to stick around the house a lot. He's 42 now, so its been a

while!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2002 05:53 pm
Hi Phoenix!

When my son was born, my then hubby had HBO added to our

television line-up, so I got very educated on popular movies!

The last thing I ever thought of doing was watching soap

operas! I watched General Hospital when I was a teen-ager. I even tuned back in when Luke and Laura reunited ~ but just for

the one episode (which turned into about three episodes, but nevermind!).

I guess the whole thing could be compared to

reading fiction, but I don't know.....I just 'feel' more intelligent reading a book than I do watching the same old people

cheating on their spouses, having children with their mistress', extorting money from their

employers.....
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2002 07:47 pm
I am proud to say I

never got hooked on the genre (it was game shows when my kids were little). Guess it's kind of un-American not to have been

hooked, though.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2002 08:08 pm
Waiting for incoming tomatoes.....

Bandylu.....Believe it or not, my son

is hooked on 'The Price is Right'. Whenever he has a day off of school, he loves watching that show!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 07:31 am
Before I went back to college in my 30s, I actually went on "Concentration", a show which I watched, and won a game.

It was a total pain in the neck. I never realized that the prizes that you win are considered at the retail price by the IRS. I ended up selling most of the stuff (that I didn't want). I kept a beautiful gold spray pin. The problem was, that in the middle, there were diamonds, set into a jiggly setting, that made me dizzy every time I looked at it. It was also much too dressy for my lifestyle.

So I went to the jewelers, and had the jiggly diamonds removed, and a pearl put in. The pin is GORGEOUS, Rolling Eyes but is so heavy, that I can never wear it. It probably would go well on a coat (I live in Florida, and we don't wear coats here), or on one of those heavy faille or taffeta dresses that they haven't made in 30 years.

Oh well, it WAS an experience!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 09:34 am
Phoenix is a quiz-show ace! But of course!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 10:44 am
Heh, I watch wrestling, does that count?

Basically, it's a soap opera with men in tights, throwing one another around. Oh, and lingerie matches. My husband is a big fan so it's something we watch together. Much like a soap, you can miss a few weeks and not be lost, as there's a great deal of repetition. Oh, Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit aren't getting along? Isn't that nice - they did that last month, and they're covering it again this month.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 10:57 am
Repetition is right. I've read that the point is that busy housewives can wander in and out of the room and still keep track of what's going on, but it gets a bit ludicrous. When I was student teaching/doing an intensive grad student session on site, we had a short lunch break and couldn't go off campus so we would gather in the dorm lounge and make fun of soap operas while we ate. It was great -- we had bets about who would cheat on whom, etc. So that was a summer of watching "The Young and the Restless", about 6 years ago.

The other day we were at a friend's house, one of those types who has the TV going on ALL the time, whether she's watching it or not, and with captions on (she's deaf), and Y&TR was on, and it was like omigod still!!? I forget specifics but I totally knew what was going on.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 10:58 am
By the way, Phoenix, you don't get to complain about diamonds making you dizzy. Sorry. Razz
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 12:42 pm
Sounds like the old Buck Rogers serial. A three minute review of the previous episode (whatever that was), two minutes of programming, a minute's worth of preview, and twenty-four minutes of advertising.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 04:48 pm
At the last place I worked a LOT of people taped and watched the soaps. I did for a while about a decade ago. I haven't used the VCR at all in about 2 year, haven't turned the t.v. on in about 3 months (why am i paying a satellite subscription?). but .... I am TOTALLY addicted to my soap opera magazine - i don't watch the soaps, but i HAVE to read about them. very weird.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 11:24 pm
I guess 'Friends' would be considered a prime time soap opera and that's about the only tv show I watch regularly.

I can remember my sister, me and our next door neighbor rushing home from school every day so we could all watch General Hospital, and then The Merv Griffin show afterwards.....
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 06:03 am
Merv Griffin - Mike Douglas ! Wowm, how i loved those guys - sooooooo middle of the road. I wanted to be on the show, being interviewed about my famous husband <shakes head>. I was soooooo young once.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 03:49 pm
Ah, to be young again.....

You're still a cutie-petutie ebeth.....
Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 07:43 am
dammit! I watch ER and I am almost proud of it!

sort of.

Am I allowed to complain that sozobe's cross-eyed baby makes my eyes ache?

LOL!

Deb
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 07:53 am
be proud, girl, be proud !
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 09:48 am
For you, Deb. (I've been wrasslin' with this 'un for a while now... trying to make it bigger.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 09:58 am
Thanks sozobe. I sure didn't want to mention it myself.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 10:01 pm
Didn't want to mention what, Rog? Am I out of the loop again? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies