[closed]So I try to open my PM's and get ...

kickycan

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:11 pm
So what's the story? Anyone have any idea when we might be able to PM again?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:19 pm
kickycan wrote:
So what's the story? Anyone have any idea when we might be able to PM again?

It's a free (and private) site, maintained by volunteers, you remember? :wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:30 pm
Yeah, I wasn't trying to put any pressure on anyone. Just curious.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:37 pm
Well, I have no idea, that is for sure....

It is odd, it took a while, but now I am starting to miss 'em...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 04:45 pm
Oy, people are defensive about asking questions about the site ...

We're a community and all, but also, in the end, users, with questions ... thaz how it works!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 04:49 pm
I miss 'em, too.

Brand!!! Hope you're doing OK.

PMs really add a fun aspect to what's going on on the board. Its nice to get a little aside about a thread when it gets weird...

I'll appreciate them more when they are fixed.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 08:43 pm

Wonder if we might enable chat for people, who are going through DTs over PMs?

Just an idea to avoid an outbreak of hives or shingles or something...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 11:05 am
Deleted by author.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 11:16 am
Not quite.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 11:35 am
Deleted by author.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 01:17 pm
Hm, leaves one to wonder...

In the interim, until pm function resumes, I can be reached through my yahoo account. Wink I would suggest the rest of those suffering withdrawls set up another method of contact... I really miss the pleasure pm-ing brought, but I was a perfectly innocent participant, posting nothing poisonous...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 01:41 pm
Attica! Attica!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 03:36 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Since only moderators are now privvy to the sections of the forum that are not available to the general membership, not even Veteran Members or the periferal staff that works on some editing jobs (although not editors), anything stated here is a strictly heresay. I got information through my own E mail as to the banned members but won't name any of them. The PPPM's also could include Craven as the site has been hacked into in the past by some mischievious Abuzz members who aren't of very good repute. Need I say more?

On the staffers forum it was mentioned that part of the reason the system was shut down was because there had been a campaign via PMs on behalf of a banned member. I believe I received one of those PM's and it did not amount to any kind of campaign, and I most certainly hope the sender was not banned for it.

<shrugs> It's probably inappropriate for me (or anyone) to cite even that much from a staffers forum, but well, yeah. I know this is a community site and everyone admires and appreciates the great amounts of work that's put into it, and no, no user formally has any right to anything, but I also think it's a bit odd to close access to our old PMs as well as their future use without giving any information to the general user community about the why and what next. But that's probly just me, the site's only young curmudgeon.

Anyway, just in case anyone wants to reach me, I've temporarily put an old e-mail address of mine on my profile, I'll check it again every once in a while.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 04:27 pm
I'm totally clean on this issue.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 04:35 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Attica! Attica!

Hmmm - normally one could not GIVE away PMS - and here you are calling for its liberty...

Well - sure - I'll support that - as long as you guys are the ones to have it.......

heeheeheheeheheehhh.......ahem........sorry....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 05:36 pm
I was just having a dog day afternoon, bunny. It meant not a thing.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 05:37 pm
cavfancier wrote:
I was just having a dog day afternoon, bunny. It meant not a thing.

same here - I'm clean I promise!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 05:58 pm
It's not the first time the PM feature has been used for harassment and I would consider it unethical to pass on anything specific from any moderator. I'm sure this thread is already being read by moderator(s) and as this is a privately owned site, they don't owe any explanation other than the message that the PM is temporarily disabled. Sorry that I tried to give a reasonable explanation as it's prompting some unnecessary speculation. I think I'll just delete what was posted.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 06:08 pm
(Be patient -- it's still a virtue).
0 Replies

smog

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:22 pm
I just want to be able to read my new message and write a response to an earlier one, which I had planned on doing the day PMs were disabled. I of course understand that the A2K staff needs to do whatever it takes to fix the legal issues and other problems, but I hope that it all gets sorted out soon! Seeing the link reminding me of the hidden PM makes me lose my motivation to post. (I'll get over it, don't worry.)
0 Replies