[closed]So I try to open my PM's and get ...

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 06:57 pm
ehBeth, I think (but won't swear to) that an autospamfilter is an autospamfilter is an autospamfilter, and filters throughout the site, automatically.

And (this one I'm more sure of), there were members of that site spamming us a quite a while ago -- separate from the demise of Abuzz stuff.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:15 pm
i can understand (almost) autospam filtering links (i have trouble appreciating it happening within a pm - but i can sorta understand it, and don't mind it that much) - but the idea that it's to the point of picking the words out. <shakes head> it's verging on something not appreciated
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:27 pm
That's how auto anything works, though. Same as if you write a cuss word (one of the bleeped cuss words, anyway) in a PM.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:30 pm
Interesting.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:34 pm
What the **** is a cuss word?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:39 pm
Disclaimer -- I don't actually know for sure about cuss words and PMs. Spam makes more sense to be autofiltered in PM's, 'cause spammers sometimes spam via PMs. I'd test, but...

Cav, heh!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:43 pm
I use it, though not intensively, to continue some conversations here instead of by email, mainly because it is easier that going to reg email when the added thought has been triggered by some post. Nothing very exotic, generally establishing friendship.

Also, sometimes some of us do it to make sure we didn't offend, to clarify, and vice versa.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 08:02 pm
ehBeth,

The spam filter works through the same files sitewide, and there's no distinction between pm text and post text (and really, it'd be silly, the spam filter is something that helps prevent people from trying to spam the whole database through pms).

As to an individual word being filtered (as opposed to a link) that only happens when said site has been very very persisitent in their spamming efforts and have taken efforts to circumvent less broad filtering.

I can't imagine it has been done more than a couple of times, and only because the other site's members (or owners and moderators) were spamming in both large quantities and with efforts to circumvent filtering after the first few tries.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 08:32 pm
interesting.

as i no longer go to the other site, but know a bit about what was going on, i can guess who was doing what <sigh> trouble, thy name sucks bigtime. <sigh>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 08:39 pm
If you send a notice to a few people via pm, just take my effort to interest some (anybody!!) in my giclee thread a couple of weeks ago, I guess I pm'd four people, and that must not have been taken as spamming. Not to pin you down, but is there some number - you don't have to say what - that means spam to the whatever monitors it? I would suppose you would judge on appropriateness, as in the art threads there are x number of people apt to be interested if asked... but maybe not. I don't want to pin you down on the high end, really, but I presume it is ok to contact some?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:32 pm
Osso, We find out people are being spammed when they report it. Some people are pretty quick to send a note to the Help Desk if they get spam PMs. I'd guess others just delete them and move on. If they get something (like the PMs you sent) and they don't consider it spam they don't report it and no one knows.

I have no idea what you sent but I'm guessing it didn't start with "I live in Nigeria and need your help in transferring $20 million out of my country...". Wink If it had been, people would have reported it. lol
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 10:28 pm
I don't really remember but I think I sent three or possibly four, in a spurt of enthusiasm, a note re my thread on giclee prints.

Trust me, they weren't from Nigeria. If I was going to do that, I would contact a cousin of my ex bro's wife in Liberia, but never mind, I am sure that family has much else on their minds and it would't go through me.

Fishin, I was just wondering re numbers. If we do want to wake up some pals re our threads, can we send a few pms?
ten pms?

Past ten seems out of order, but none of us know if there is a line not to cross.

Sucking thumb, thinking I should go back and look at the Terms of Service again.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 11:25 pm
The graphik on the PM inbox is a good place holder.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 11:41 pm
Seems, the hamsters are out of house.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 08:51 am
the little buggers are running wildly now

scurry
scurry
scurry
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 11:30 am
...reminds me of a bunch of black ants...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 01:06 pm
they do look like little black ants. makes me itchy to look at them ... so - click on pm's to check and click back really fast if the ants are there
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 05:29 pm
I am fond of them - it is Saturday here, and I don't have to scurry like that today...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 05:49 pm
I am kind of unnerved by them, like ebeth i guess ... just hopin' they will make way for new (or at least old) PMs soon again ...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 06:40 pm
I've been assuming that the wee free men are All the Manifestations of Craven stripped down to their skivvies to repair the PM system.

My servants, laboring on my behalf....
0 Replies