Tired of Lies

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 06:23 am
I have a friend who I have caught lying several times. And suspect of lying several more times. I've made excuses for her because she's young and insecure. But my patience has worn thin. I no longer know whether or not to believe anything she says.

Would you continue to be a friend and hope to set a good example or would you simply give up?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 847 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Slingofan

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 07:08 am
When friends lie to friends, it may be because they are insecure, and don't want to face the truth. Some people just need to lie and don't even know they are.

Some people lie so much that they belive their own lies.

Many feel that Bill Clinton lied all the time, and many still want to be friends of Bill.

What you may want to do is tell your friend that you are hurt by the lies, and that you would rather be told nothing than to be told a lie. If the lies cause you to much pain than that is a friend who you may not need.
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:52 am
i think losing the friend depends on the sort of lies she is telling.

can you give us an example of one of her stories?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 01:36 pm
I have a "thing" about lying. I will take a lot of crap from people, if I think that they are basically worthwhile, but when someone lies to me, as far as I am concerned, they're gone from my life.

Reality is an extremely important value to me.
0 Replies

furiousflee

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 01:40 pm
Friendships are based on trust and truth, if one of these values or truths are violated then obviously the friendship is non-liable. If I were you I would confront your friend and get the truth out, you see by establishing truth or by speaking truth into a room, all lies must leave. So just confront the situation, deal with it wisely by not angering and pointing fingers and try to find out the root of all these lies. Maybe your friend could be hiding something that is bigger than the superficial lie she is telling. Be a friend and help her not to continue in a world of vain fakeness.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:10 pm
I had a friend in high school who used to make up whoppers all the time, and they weren't even good ones. A lot of them were in the bragging category.

Eventually, whenever he would say something that I thought sounded shaky, whether it was to me or not, I would just look right at him and say to his face, loudly, so everyone around could hear, "Lie". Or "You're lying." Or "That's bullshit." If he tried to argue, I'd just repeatedly say "bullshit" or "lie", until he gave up. I did that consistently over a period of time, and it worked. He stopped lying to me and around me, and eventually just stopped speaking to me.

That's the way to handle it. No mercy, no holding back. Call them out. If they don't change, or can't handle it, then you lose a "friend". No big deal.
0 Replies

furiousflee

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:13 pm
Yes, friends come and friends go. If he lies to you he definitly isn't a real friend, just one of those "friends" that you got to know well. I guess that is it, find out the source of this lying spree and see whats up. If nothing changes, drop her ass like a solid piece of lead.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 04:32 pm
Lies are a way of announcing to the world that the Liar's Reality is more important than the actual facts of the universe or than any one else's subjective reality.

People like this can be dangerous. Do you want a friend who always puts you in second place?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 04:45 pm
well my motto is if they lie to you, shoot them on the spot and that will clear up the dilema. Make sure your gun is loaded at all times just in case.
0 Replies

furiousflee

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 04:47 pm
im with dyslexia on that one.....but kneecap him first so he can suffer just a bit....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 04:50 pm
then go for a gut shot, long slow death with pain. I don't cotton to liars unless they plan a career in politics.
0 Replies

furiousflee

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 04:51 pm
Damned politicians
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 07:28 pm
Now, now...not so fast.......

First of all, I'm Irish. There's nothing the Irish like better than a good story. And I certainly wouldn't let a few minor facts get in the way of a good story. Wink

Lying about important things, though, is a different matter entirely. Lies that misrepresent people or deny responsibility are the worst. I have very little tolerance for that. I stay away from those people.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 08:49 pm
ah Eva and I thought we were friends !
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:28 am
eva sums it up best, in my opinion. that's what i was trying to get at earlier....gee, where's the threadmaster?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 10:26 am
I had a long time friend who use to lie as well. I cared to much about her to end the friendship, but it really did burn my ass.

I'm glad I didn't cut the ties with her though because she died of cancer 2 years ago and she needed me when she was suffering.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 10:58 am
That was very big of you, Montana. I don't know if I would have stuck around.

dys...as usual, you crack me up!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 11:02 am
I don't tolerate that in my closest friends. If they do that, they won't be a close friend, period.

However, I can tolerate a fair amount of ambiguity in people I interact with but don't consider a close friend. People have said to me, "How can you be so nice to ____ after she did ____ to you?" The person has been permanently removed from my potential close friend list, but I am perfectly willing to interact with the person in a civil manner -- laugh at jokes, express (sincere) sympathy, etc. Nobody's perfect.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 11:04 am
Thanks Eva. I almost ended the friendship several times, but looking beyond the lies, she was a wonderful human being and I just couldn't let go. Over time, I just took things she said with a grain of salt and stopped taking it personally. If it was anyone else, I don't think I would have put up with it for very long. We were friends for 26 years before she died.
0 Replies