Clinton taking over Kerry campaign. WHY?

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 02:50 pm
Former President Bill Clinton, in a 90-minute telephone conversation from his hospital room, offered John Kerry detailed advice on Saturday night on how to reinvigorate his candidacy, as Mr. Kerry enlisted more Clinton advisers to help shape his strategy and message for the remainder of the campaign.

In an expansive conversation, Mr. Clinton, who is awaiting heart surgery, told Mr. Kerry that he should move away from talking about Vietnam, which had been the central theme of his candidacy, and focus instead on drawing contrasts with President Bush on job creation and health care policies, officials with knowledge of the conversation said.

The conversation and the recruitment of old Clinton hands came amid rising concern among Democrats about the state of Mr. Kerry's campaign and criticism that he had been too slow to respond to attacks on his military record or to engage Mr. Bush on domestic policy....

The installation of former Clinton lieutenants is creating two distinct camps at Mr. Kerry's campaign headquarters on McPherson Square in downtown Washington.

The first is the existing Kerry high command, which includes Mary Beth Cahill, the campaign manager; Bob Shrum, a senior adviser; Tad Devine, a senior adviser; and Stephanie Cutter, the communications director. The second is the Clinton camp, which includes Joe Lockhart, a former White House press secretary; Joel Johnson, a former senior White House aide; and Doug Sosnik, a former Clinton political director. And Howard Wolfson, a former chief of staff to Hillary Rodham Clinton, joined the campaign yesterday.

Members of both camps played down any suggestion of a Clinton takeover of a troubled campaign and insisted there was no tension between the two groups. Still, these days, Mr. Lockhart is stationed in an office on one side of the campaign war room; Mr. Shrum's office is on the opposite side.

The whole article is here.It makes for interesting reading...
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/06/politics/campaign/06kerry.html?th
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,746 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 03:33 pm
When will Begala and Carville give it up?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 03:43 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Clinton taking over Kerry campaign. WHY?

You scared now, arncha? :wink:

Bill Clinton gets more accomplished from a hospital bed on a holiday weekend than Bush does in four years.

Sofia wrote:
When will Begala and Carville give it up?

Following President Kerry's inauguration in January. :wink:
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 03:44 pm
If he DID win, I wouldn't let their asses near the WH. It is grossly apparent that they don't want him to win. The two biggest names in Dem political strategy.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 03:53 pm
i think it's a good thing for kerry to adjust and add to his campaign "administration". shows that he wants to put together a good team to accomplish the task. and that's what a president should do, isn't it?

tis not over until the plus-size woman delivers the harmonic emissions.
:wink:
0 Replies

PKB

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 04:32 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
tis not over until the plus-size woman delivers the harmonic emissions.
:wink:

Now that's what I call "Politically Correct"! Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 04:40 pm
Carville sure seemed keen on Kerry in March.

(thank goodness for GOPUSA for giving me the info)

Quote:
Carville said he believes a genuine liberal Democrat should be the next president of the United States.

"[W]e can change the direction of this country by putting John Kerry -- a real Democrat -- in the White House," Carville said.

Copyright © 2004 Talon News -- All rights reserved.

Quote:
Talon News is proud to be the exclusive news content provider for GOPUSA!

Carville: Dems Must Get Rid of 'Bush Crowd'
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 05:05 pm
Sorry Beth,according to the left,if it isnt the NYT,the Guardian,or CNN it isnt qualified as a source.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 05:06 pm
Why won't Carville help Kerry then, ehBeth?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 05:19 pm
Not sure about serpenthead, but Mary Matalin is still front and center in her support for President Bush. Maybe her husband is waiting to figure out where Kerry is on the issues (he was in Vietnam, you know).
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 05:29 pm
He does look like a serpent head.

OK, now I have the giggles...

He always looked odd before,but when he shaved--it was like Carnivale time...

<giggling...>
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:34 pm
Hmmmmm.

Begala just told Larry King that although he supports Kerry, he will not go to work for him.

King: Does that go for Carvill, too?

Begala: Yes, it does.

Earlier, Begala said he doesn't think it's a good idea for Clinton to campaign or do anything for at least two to three months. (He's worried for his health).

Hmmmmmmm.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:59 pm
The only thing standing between Hillary and the WH is Kerry, do you really think they want him to actually win?!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:46 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Hmmmmm.

Begala just told Larry King that although he supports Kerry, he will not go to work for him.

King: Does that go for Carvill, too?

Begala: Yes, it does.

Earlier, Begala said he doesn't think it's a good idea for Clinton to campaign or do anything for at least two to three months. (He's worried for his health).

Hmmmmmmm.

Wait...just...a .......minute.
Did he really say that? A couple of days before the whole Clinton gang signed on with Kerry? Why haven't I heard of this?

Thicker and thickerer...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 05:03 pm
There are several puzzling things going on in this campaign. Bill and Hillary have to play the good party line, but how often have you seen either of them out on the campaign trail in the last several weeks? They are both keeping the lowest profile I've seen them keep in the last 20 years.

And where is Senator Edwards? He's another one who seems to be keeping a low profile lately. He isn't campaigning with Kerry as Gore did with Bill. Why?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 05:08 pm
well it seems to me that Kerry needed a strong republican on his team so he chose Bill Clinton.
farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 05:42 pm
how dare Clinton get that heart thing. It was all a plotdont you see? Hillary had Bill hang on for a quad bypass until Kerry looked a little strained, then he(Clinton) would hog all the bubba concern by going in the hospital. Im not smart enough to figure this out myself. I heard Rush say it so it must be true
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 06:01 pm
Quote:
I cant believe hes that dumb but I heard that GW BUSH said "Im deeply concerned about the rights of unborn feces."

I believe he IS that dumb:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~booblehole/Bush/iv_02%20copy.jpg
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 06:11 pm
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~booblehole/Bush/george_bush_uniform.jpg
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 06:31 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:
I cant believe hes that dumb but I heard that GW BUSH said "Im deeply concerned about the rights of unborn feces."

I believe he IS that dumb:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~booblehole/Bush/iv_02%20copy.jpg

You are pretty good at those graphic things.

I don't understand the big deal either way.
0 Replies