FBI Director Comey: It is possible hostile actors gained access to Clinton's email account.

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 09:13 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
So, it wasn't bad judgment. How do you explain it?
maporsche

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 09:35 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

So, it wasn't bad judgment. How do you explain it?

It's quite simple really.

- Clinton had a server to intentionally hide her secret activity as SOS.
- She tried to get all of her employees secret servers too, but couldn't and they all had government email addresses.
- Her secret dealings include taking Clinton foundation funds used to buy AIDS medications and malaria nets in return for arms deals and political favors
- Plus, no one likes how shrill her voice is or how ugly her face is
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 02:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
And you think Trump is going to. Sorry Edgar but I dont live in La La land, i live in the real world.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 07:23 pm
@RABEL222,
Oddly, this thread is not about Trump. Nice try.
revelette2

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 08:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
Perhaps the thread is not about Trump, but, we are in a presidential election in the US where the alternative to Hillary is Trump. The others including the one you are going to vote for (what's her name again?) just won't be in any meaningful way a probable alternative choice. So emails verses all of Trumps nasty ways plus his total lack of qualifications as a President, Hillary wins despite her emails flub ups.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 08:20 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmvXPsmUEAA0BEZ.jpg:large
revelette2

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 07:26 am
@edgarblythe,
Colin Powell could have very well been described as "only great carelessness." It was the practice for SOS to use their own emails (once emails became a thing) probably because it was simply more convenient.

I have to admit, Comey's characterization is going to be hard for Hillary to combat, hopefully, something will come around from Trump, and people will just get over it.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 07:30 am
@revelette2,
The state department is relaunching the email investigation. Apparently they are not happy with the way it has played out.
revelette2

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 07:36 am
@edgarblythe,
I read the news, I am aware of the State department decision. It won't amount to anything because Comey knows the law and how it has applied for the last 100 years. It is not as though they will find any new facts, frankly, in my opinion, they are wasting time but it seems to be something government agencies like to do, waste money and time.

Quote:
JAMES COMEY: There are two things that matter in a criminal investigation of a subject: What did the person do and, when they did that thing, what were they thinking. When you look at the 100 years plus of the Justice Department's investigation and prosecution of the mishandling of classified information, those two questions are, obviously, present. What did the person do, did they mishandle classified information? And when they did it, did they know they were doing something that was unlawful? That has been the characteristic of every charged criminal case involving the mishandling of classified information.

I'm happy to go through the cases in particular. In our system of law, there's a thing called mens rea. It's important to know what you did, but when you did it, this Latin phrase, mens rea, means what were you thinking? We don't want to put people in jail unless we prove that they knew they were doing something they shouldn't do. That is the characteristic of all the prosecutions involving mishandling of classified information.

There is a statute that was passed in 1917 that on its face makes it a crime, a felony for someone to engage in gross negligence. So that would appear to say, well, maybe in that circumstance you don't need to prove they knew they were doing something that was unlawful, maybe it's enough to prove that they were just really, really careless beyond a reasonable doubt. At the time Congress passed that statute in 1917, there was a lot of concern in the House and the Senate about whether that was going to violate the American tradition of requiring that before you're going to lock somebody up, you prove they knew they were doing something wrong. So there was a lot of concern about it. The statute was passed.

As best I can tell, the Department of Justice has used it once in the 99 years since, reflecting that same concern. I know from 30 years with the Department of Justice they have grave concerns about whether it's appropriate to prosecute somebody for gross negligence, which is why they have done it once that I know of in a case involving espionage. And so when I look the facts we gathered here, as I said, I see evidence of great carelessness, but I do not see evidence that is sufficient to establish that Secretary Clinton or those with whom she was corresponding both talked about classified information on email and knew when they did it they were doing something that was against the law. So given that assessment of the facts, my understanding of the law, my conclusion was and remains: No reasonable prosecutor would bring this case. No reasonable prosecutor would bring the second case in 100 years focused on gross negligence. And so I know that's been a source of some confusion for folks. That's just the way it is. I know the Department of Justice, I know no reasonable prosecutor would bring this case. I know a lot of my former friends are out there saying where they would. I wonder where they were the last 40 years, because I'd like to see the cases they brought on gross negligence. Nobody would, nobody did. So my judgment was the appropriate resolution of this case was not with a criminal prosecution. As I said, folks can disagree about that, but I hope they know that view -- not just my view, but of my team -- was honestly held, fairly investigated and communicated with unusual transparency because we know folks care about it. [House Oversight and Government Reform Committee hearing, 7/7/16]

links at the source

I posted this earlier, but it applies here as well.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 07:39 am
You people can poo poo all this and claim it is over, unimportant - whatever. It is but one symptom of a person too corrupt to be our president.
revelette2

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 07:44 am
@edgarblythe,
Being careless of emails does not mean Hillary is corrupt, it just meant she wasn't aware she was breaking the law so she wasn't charged with a crime. Furthermore, I didn't claim it is all over, I just wish it was over. I said Hillary is going to have hard time combatting Comey's characterization as "careless."
revelette2

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 08:03 am
I left the following on Hillary dropping out thread: but like my previous link, it applies here actually more than that thread. Again from Media Matters who always have links embedded. They are correcting an article from the NYT.

Quote:
On July 7, The New York Times reported on testimony FBI Director James Comey gave to the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee about the FBI’s recently closed investigation of Hillary Clinton’s email use as secretary of state. Comey discussed the apparent contradiction between Clinton’s public statements that her private email did not contain emails “marked classified” and the director’s July 5 statement to the contrary. But missing from the Times’ report were the facts that two of these emails were reportedly mistakenly classified and that, in his testimony, Comey explained that it was not “reasonable” to assume even an “expert” would have realized they were classified at all because they were incorrectly marked.

In its report, the Times failed to note that on July 6, State Department spokesperson John Kirby explained to reporters that two emails with a “C” notation, denoting “confidential” material, were marked as such in error. On July 7, before the committee, Comey further testified that the mistaken marking of those emails as classified was also incorrectly performed, as they lacked necessary headers. Comey said that because of this incorrect procedure, it would be “reasonable” to infer that even an “expert at what is classified and what's not classified” would not have realized the email was classified.

Despite describing the apparent contradiction between Clinton’s statement and Comey’s July 5 claim that a small number of her emails “bore markings indicating the presence of classified information,” the Times failed to report on either Kirby or Comey’s explanation for why the former secretary may have repeatedly claimed she did not send or received emails “marked classified” on her private email account.

source
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 08:20 am
@revelette2,
The one affair is one out many symptoms. And it is not trivial that one who would lead is so dismissal of the law as to treat secret information nearly as casually as a facebook account.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 08:45 am
Asked if it was possible, Comey said it was. Asked if hostile actors actually gained access, Comey said no.
maporsche

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 09:02 am
@edgarblythe,
Hyperbole
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 09:12 am
@revelette2,
Thanks for bringing in some facts.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 10:34 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Asked if it was possible, Comey said it was. Asked if hostile actors actually gained access, Comey said no.

Then why so many headlines that
he said it is possible they did?

Search Results
In the news
Image for the news result
FBI: 'Hostile Actors' Likely Hacked Clinton Email Secrets
Washington Free Beacon‎ - 2 days ago
Despite the evidence of potential criminal wrongdoing ... “We do assess that hostile actors gained access to the ... to Secretary Clinton's personal email account,” Comey said.
Hillary Clinton's Email Was Probably Hacked, Experts Say
New York Times‎ - 2 days ago
Fact check: Clinton's email claims collapse under FBI probe
Chicago Tribune‎ - 3 days ago
More news for Comey: It is possible hostile actors gained access to Clinton's email account.
FBI Director: 'It Is Possible That Hostile Actors Gained Access' to ...
www.cnsnews.com/.../fbi-director-it-possible-hostile-actors-gained-acc...
CNSNews.com
3 days ago - FBI Director James Comey announced Tuesday that the ... Is Possible That Hostile Actors Gained Access' to Clinton's 'Personal Email Account'.
FBI Recommends No Criminal Charges Against Hillary Clinton - NBC ...
www.nbcnews.com/...clinton/fbi-recommends-no-criminal-charges-ag...
NBCNews.com
3 days ago - The head of the FBI said 110 emails sent or received on Hillary ... laws governing the handling of classified information," James Comey said. ... It's possible that "hostile actors" gained access to Clinton's personal email account. ... sent or received emails marked classified at the time on her private account.
FBI — Statement by FBI Director James B. Comey on the Investigation ...
https://www.fbi.gov/.../statement-by-fbi-director-james...
Federal Bureau of Investigation
3 days ago - Secretary Clinton used several different servers and administrators of those ... e-mail accounts of people who had been government employees at the .... it is possible that hostile actors gained access to Secretary Clinton's ...
Comey: 'It's Possible Hostile Actors Gained Access to Secretary ...
https://grabien.com/file.php?id=100432
3 days ago - Cybersecurity Analyst: 'There's No Doubt' Clinton's Emails 'Are in the Hands of ... to your eLocker, buy an embed code, or log into your GrabienGold account. ... Comey: 'It's Possible Hostile Actors Gained Access to Secretary ...
Hillary Clinton's Email Was Probably Hacked, Experts Say - The New ...
www.nytimes.com/.../hillary-clintons-email-was-probably-hacked-...The New York Times
2 days ago - Cybersecurity experts said that her private email account from when she was ... “We assess it is possible that hostile actors gained access to Secretary Clinton's personal ... But that was notable: Until Mr. Comey spoke, Mrs. Clinton and her ... “Hostile actors gained access to the private commercial email ...
FBI boss James Comey's 7 most damning lines on Hillary Clinton ...
www.cnn.com/2016/07/05/.../fbi-clinton-email-server-comey-damning-lines/
CNN
3 days ago - Given that combination of factors, we assess it is possible that hostile actors gained access to Secretary Clinton's personal email account." ...
FBI Director Comey: It is possible hostile actors gained access to ...
able2know.org/topic/331546-3
2 days ago - Discussion Tagged: Politics Clinton Email Hillary F B I, Replies: 41 Page: 3.
Fact check: Clinton's email claims collapse under FBI probe - Chicago ...
www.chicagotribune.com/.../ct-fact-check-clinton-emails-20160705-...
Chicago Tribune
3 days ago - A look at Hillary Clinton's claims since questions about her email practices as ... FBI Director James Comey's announcement Tuesday that he will not refer ... But it left much of her account in tatters and may have aggravated ... "We assess it is possible that hostile actors gained access to Secretary Clinton's ...
FBI Director: 'It Is Possible Hostile Actors Gained Access To Clinton's ...
Video for Comey: It is possible hostile actors gained access to Clinton's email account.▶ 1:06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utPfbXQl9RU
3 days ago - Uploaded by Tea Party 6
FBI Director James Comey announced Tuesday that the investigation ... Hostile Actors Gained Access To ...
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 10:42 am
@edgarblythe,
Also, http://www.businessinsider.com/hillary-clinton-email-fact-check-2016-7
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 10:57 am
Good article, CI.
Whether or not Comey amended his words, after clearly stating it is possible hostile actors gained access, is not the real point. He made it plain that the way she dealt with her emails made it possible. This disdain for the law is the real core of her email scandal and the reason it will never go away.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 11:02 am
@edgarblythe,
I agree. It would seem with her experience in government, she should have known better. She's an intelligent woman. I'm not sure why she screwed up so badly on this one.