Why Do Bugs Love Me?

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:55 am
Are some people more attractive to certain types of biting insects than others?

I go outdoors very frequently, usually having donned gallons of bugspray, but after only a few minutes I find myself covered in bug-bites!

At the same time, however, many of my friends can stay outdoors for hours on end with nary a stinger in sight!

What's up with this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,188 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:57 am
Do you use any fragrances? Bugs are often attracted to the scent.
0 Replies

Smartsux

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:59 am
Not usually.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 11:01 am
Maybe this will help:

http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/camping/Tips/Bugs.htm
0 Replies

Smartsux

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 11:08 am
Heheh. So next time I go out this summer I'll wear long sleeves and pants, a head net, Avon Skin So Soft, be sure to bathe with coconut soaps, load on the DEET, wipe off my sweat, eat garlic, hold some grapefruit, and stay away from grass (shouldn't be so hard, it's not like I'm addicted yet or anything).
But I'll try anything.
Thanks Phoenix.
0 Replies

Smartsux

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 11:09 am
Or then again, maybe it's just me.

I have been indoors all day today, and now suddenly a random bite on my foot. It's a conspiracy, I swear!
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:39 pm
Drink lots of coffee, eat plenty of garlic, onions, marigolds...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:55 pm
I have heard it is the penalty of having veins close to the surface of ankles, for example, or eating a lot of sugar. I don't eat a lot of sugar, in fact hardly any, and still am a bug magnet.
0 Replies

Smartsux

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 12:16 am
ossobuco wrote:
I have heard it is the penalty of having veins close to the surface of ankles

But that doesn't explain the ones one my legs, and hands!

And Princess, marigolds???????????
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:37 am
I am also some one that bugs love to bite. I love garlic so that has not helped. I will be outside and bitten alive and not one other person will have one bite. This has occurred since I was a small child. One of my daughters also has this problem and she is 2 so perhaps it is something heredity.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:44 am
It's genetic! Five of us used to hang out in the backyard often -- my friend, his two boys, me, and my daughter. We'd all slop on the same bug spray, but the bugs would go right for him and one of -- but not the other -- his boys. The other son, my daughter, and me were relatively unmolested.

I read an article about the genetic factor in the NYT, lemme see if I can find it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:48 am
I rarely get bitten by anything, but my wife gets bitten constantly. Anything with DEET in it is still sadly the best solution, provided it doesn't give you any allergic reactions, and yes, it should not be used on children. Also, keep cool and relaxed. The less heat you generate, the less likely you are to be bitten. Bugs do bite women far more often than men, but I'm not sure why.
0 Replies

Dipthong

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 03:42 pm
I know this may sound mad! But I was told that putting a tumble dry, fabric softener square(We've got Bounce in the UK) about your person helps to keep bites at bay. It did for me when I visited our Lake District earlier this year.
0 Replies