If people in other countries could vote in the Presidential elections.. eg the Netherlands, Britain

nimh

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2016 03:16 pm
A new British opinion poll by ComRes asked Brits how they viewed the US Presidential elections. The results are as unambiguous as those in the Dutch polls:

Quote:
For each of the following pairs of statements, please tell me which one is closest to your own view?

12% I would prefer Donald Trump to be the next President of the USA

70% I would prefer Hillary Clinton to be the next President of the USA

18% Don't know

The crosstabs are interesting too. Most strikingly, Clinton's lead over Trump is almost as daunting among Conservative Party voters (+63) as among Labour Party voters (+68). Voters of the centrist Liberal Democrats are most unanimously behind her: 89% to 3%. UKIP voters, however, are relatively evenly divided: 43% Clinton, 38% Trump, 19% Don't know.

In demographic terms, Trump's support among men is already low (17%), but among women it's less than half of that (8%). Trump's support is extremely low among all social classes, but Clinton's numbers peak among upper class voters, while working class voters are somewhat more likely to say they didn't know. (Still, Clinton gets at least 64% in all social classes.)

Clinton isn't preferred by such enormous margins because she is personally popular. Her favorability rating among Brits, according to this poll, stands at a mediocre 34% favorable, 28% unfavorable, 30% neither.

It's again interesting to see how those ratings are practically identical among Conservative voters (40/25/30) as Labour voters (39/26/29). Unsurprisingly, she's viewed most favorably by Liberal Democrats (53% favorable, 23% unfavorable), and least favorably by UKIP voters (19% vs 46%), though she's pretty unpopular among Green voters too (22% vs 36%). Among demographic groups, her favorable rating is highest among voters aged 65+ (42%) and upper class voters (40%). Her unfavorable rating is highest among men (35%) and Scots (33%).

Trump's favorability ratings... well, guess. Yeah? They stand at 7% favorable, 76% unfavorable. There's no demographic group where his favorable rating is higher than 12%. The youngest (18-24), oldest (65+) and upper class voters view him most unfavorably. Just one out of 83 Green voters in the sample, and two out of 77 Scottish National Party voters, had a favorable opinion of him. He is almost as impopular among Conservative voters (7% favorable, 80% unfavorable) as among Labour voters (5% vs 83%). Even UKIP voters largely think negatively of him (25% vs 51%).
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2016 03:20 pm
@nimh,
And I am sure this will press itself on the minds of every American once they are in the voting booth in November.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2016 03:37 pm
@nimh,
I think the polls on Trump is accurate to the degree that the outcome of the election will confirm it.

However, according to this analysis of polls vs elections, it's accurate only about 50% of the time.

http://www.gradethenews.org/pages2/Pollstory1.htm
nimh

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2016 06:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Bless. I guess I'll just have to resign myself, once again, to the fact that Americans stubbornly fail to pay proper attention to the superior insights of us foreigners. I'm sure I'll survive, though.
nimh

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2016 06:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
However, according to this analysis of polls vs elections, it's accurate only about 50% of the time.

http://www.gradethenews.org/pages2/Pollstory1.htm

That analysis concerned polling vs results regarding primary elections, ballot propositions, and city elections (in San Francisco), though. That's quite a different kettle of fish from polling on the national, general election in the presidential race.

Those kinds of races, especially local elections and ballot propositions, are both much harder to poll and polled much less systematically than the presidential general election. The track record of the latter would look very differently.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2016 06:40 pm
Local elections and ballot initiatives show up on the ballots every year, including odd-numbered years and mid-term election years. The voter turn-out for those elections is usually very low. In odd numbered years, it is not unusual for less than 25% of the electorate to actually vote. Since pollsters cannot predict how many of those responding will actually vote, it is mall wonder if they're harder to predict.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2016 09:06 pm
@nimh,
Yeah, but will we U S citizens

Quote:
. I'm sure I'll survive, though.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:59 am
@nimh,
I'm sure you will Cool
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 01:24 pm
Actually, Trump's favorability ratings in the US are not much more than his ratings in the UK, according to this Monmouth Univ poll:

.........................Fav.......Unfav....Don't Know
8/4-7/16...........26...........61.............14
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 02:13 pm
@Blickers,
When Trump has the gall to criticize the parent of a war hero who gave his life for this country, he's lived in a rich cocoon for too long.
Even people who don't live in the US understands these simple concepts.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 02:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I think it was a stupid mistake on his part but since when does losing a child, under any circumstances, render someone immune from criticism?

Keep in mind these parents went in front of millions and attacked him first.

He should have ignored it but not because the opinions of the parents of fallen heroes are sacrosanct.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 02:28 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Rightly so. Trump doesn't understand the US Constitution. Trump wants to ban all Muslims from entering this country. He also wants to build a wall between the US and Mexico. He's a bigoted, small minded, idiot. He's a textbook white supremacist. You must belong in his club too!
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 02:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That may be but it has nothing to do with criticizing the parents
RABEL222

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 07:45 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Do you mind if I think Trump and his friends are a bunch of ass holes because of the way he treated those parents?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2016 09:14 am
@RABEL222,
Rabel, I don't mind what you think.

I only pointed out that by choosing to participate in the DNC convention, and attack Trump, the parents invited a counter-attack (as stupid as accepting that invitation may have been).

I don't minimize, at all, their loss or the loss, for that matter, of Patricia Smith. I think the MSM, not surprisingly, treated Ms. Smith unfairly, however since she, like the Khans, went before an audience of millions to criticize the candidates, I don't believe they or anyone else can rationally argue they are immune from criticism. If Clinton had gone after Smith the way Trump went after the Khans it would have been just as stupid, but it would not have been immoral.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2016 10:39 am
@RABEL222,
It's not a surprise that Trump is not viewed as a great leader around the globe, he's the prototype of the ugly American.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2016 10:45 am
@glitterbag,
I think this article is accurate: https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/04/07/donald-trump-viewed-unfavourably-by-7-in-10-americans-ap-poll-says.html

The 30% that favors Trump are of the same mindset of white supremacist bigotry and the uneducated. They don't understand the US Constitution.
0 Replies