where does the rest of the chicken go? A wings question.

yawah

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:07 pm
Is everybody on this topic in on the conspiracy? Why does the topic always get changed and the question never answered. Doesn't anybody see the problem? Before there where chicken wings all was well in chicken land. Suddenly, onto the scene comes the ckicken wing craze - doesn't that create a big gap between the number of chickens and the number of chicken legs? It would be the same if suddenly bars begen selling trout eye balls as beer snacks - average bar go-er would eat 30 eyeballs per sitting - thats 15 additional trout that the market would have to absorb. How did the market absorb the big influx of chickens required to produce chicken wings?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:07 pm
www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com

caution...not pleasant
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:11 pm
Disgusting! I'm too weak hearted...I couldn't watch the video.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:13 pm
colorbook wrote:
Disgusting! I'm too weak hearted...I couldn't watch the video.

I'm one tough bear and I didn't care for it color, it's okay.....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:20 pm
Why I only eat free range chicken...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:41 pm
dang

i'm trying to find an online copy of a recipe that was very popular in the early 1980's - it was a roast chicken with extra legs sewn on. i'm guessing you could do the same thing with wings.

the urban peasant, maybe?

i remember chicken wings starting to become popular in about 1978 - i went to university not too far from buffalo - there were road trips there to get "the real thing" at frank's (?)
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:47 pm
I've never heard of that ehbeth...sounds interesting for a dinner party Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 07:58 pm
one version

Quote:
6-Legged Roast Chicken

... my husband, George, didn't notice anything unusual until I had him count the legs. Definitely worth the effort.

1 whole chicken
4 chicken drumsticks
4 cloves garlic, chopped
¼ cup (50mL) soy sauce
½ cup (125mL) cider vinegar
1 tbsp. (15mL) sesame oil

Using a large sewing needle and some dental floss, sew the extra drumsticks onto the whole chicken, positioning them as realistically as possible on the body. Try to grab as much skin as you can with each stitch, and pull the floss firmly, but not so tightly as to tear the flesh. I've made 4-legged chickens and 6-legged chickens and, frankly, either one's pretty unnerving to look at (hee hee hee). If you've done a good job, the seams where the extra legs are attached will be almost invisible.

Prepare the marinade. Combine the garlic, soy sauce, vinegar and sesame oil in a small bowl. Carefully slide the mutant chicken into a sturdy plastic bag, pour in the marinade and seal the bag shut, pressing out as much air as possible. Refrigerate, turning once in a while, for several hours or overnight.

Put the, um, chicken and all the marinade into a small, open roasting pan, and roast at 375 F (190 C) for 1 ½ hours, or until done, basting occasionally with the marinade. The chicken is cooked when a drumstick (a real one) moves easily when you jiggle it, and the skin is nicely brown and crisp all over.

Place this amazing creation on a serving platter, and bring to the table intact. If anything, it looks even more bizarre when cooked. Carve, ceremoniously making sure to discard the dental floss before serving. Delicious, but weird.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 08:11 pm
Thanks, I give it a try Smile
0 Replies

hiyall

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 08:23 pm
Chortle, ehBeth!!

Not to worry, Yawah...those de-winged chickens are not going to waste, I promise. I personally buy nothing except skinned, deboned chicken breasts, so the bars can have my wings.

(When skinned chicken breasts--not deboned at the time--first appeared in my local grocery store decades ago, I must have been one of the first customers to purchase a package. When I got to check-out, the young clerk ringing up my order expressed surprise at the skinless chicken breasts. I said I hated pulling the skin off chickens so I was happy to be able to buy them already skinned. She continued ringing up my purchases. When she got to the baking potatoes, she sweetly said, "Ma'am, do you want us to take the skin off of those for you?")
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 01:09 pm
i'd suggest to leave the dental floss on the six-legged chicken; so when you have finished eating you have flossed you teeth at the same time. A REAL TIMESAVER ! hbg
0 Replies