where does the rest of the chicken go? A wings question.

yawah

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 09:36 am
The notion of eating chicken wings at the bar seems to be a recent phenomenon - I don't remember it being more then 20 years old (although I am only 27). I was wondering what change in the food industry happened to allow for all those chicken wings? If one goes to any bar on a 'wing night' and starts doing some quick calculations on the number of chickens required just for that bar, and then multiplies that by the number of bars, then by the number cities etc. The number gets is quite large - and that just one night. If people are eating so many wings, what happens to the rest of the chickens? What market is large enough to absorb the waste created by all those wings? At first I thought 'wing night' might of started after McDonalds started having McChickens because then there would be the opposite problem - what to do with the wings? But, unfortunately after some quick calculations on the abacus I can't see people eating the number of Chickens required to handle the waste created my Chicken wings. All I could find on the internet was that the Chicken Wings idea started in Boston. Does anybody knows what happens to the rest of the chicken?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 11,028 • Replies: 50
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:04 am
Look at your local supermarket in the meat case:

Breasts, thighs, legs, (also whole drumsticks)--boned and deboned, with skin and naked, breaded and plain.

Stroll through frozen food with the chicken a la king and the chicken pot pies and the like.

Chicken Wings were exploited to use an item formerly unpopular for home cooking.

By the way, the chicken cackle is used for TV sound tracks.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:10 am
Agreed, Noddy.

At a poulterer's, chicken wings have been all the time the cheapest stuff to buy .... until they got some popularity due to (mostly) the frozen food industry.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:15 am
what happens to the lips and knees?
0 Replies

Smartsux

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:37 am
Speaking of McDonalds and fast-food, and chicken, what would you do if you found a chicken-head in your sandwich?

And speaking of icky stories, have you ever seen a roast pig? My gawd, you can see their TEETH!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:39 am
The entire chicken wing thing is the result of a genetic engineering scam gone bad. It was after Thanksgiving in 1979 when Gus was pushing back from the table and one of young nephews kicked him in the shins, apparently because Gus had eaten both of the turkey legs and taken the wish bone before anyone had ever sat down to dinner. Seeing the boy's tear-stained face didn't matter a whit to Gus, he was thinking he'd like a turkey with even more legs than just two, so he went to work.

Well, that's not true. Oh the part about eating the legs and the kicking of the nephew, that's all true, what's not true is that Gus went to work. He's never done a lick of work in his life, what he did was get a bunch of fools on Plum Island to go to work on making his multi-leg turkey. But, of course, he being in charge of rasing the financing for the project, never got enough money to afford experimenting on turkeys, so they had to settle on chickens.

Well, you see the result. They developed a chicken with ten wings, on each side, a creature so grotesque that they have never been allowed to see the light of day, never mind being confined to Plum Island..l.. and worse, they breed like....like....like chickens, except the eggs hatch every ten days. At first, there was a crisis, but then one 1982 winter day in Buffalo, Gus was sitting on the tailgate of his 1951 Beach Wagon Ford when he heard a mother said "Okay, that's all the big pieces, who wants a wing?" And one of the little kids said "I eat it if you put some hot sauce on it. And the mother said "Tim Russert, that is the strangest thing I ever heard, we need to keep you out of the public eye." and Tim said "That's all right, mom, I'm going to be on NBC."

Gus scrambled out of that football stadium parking lot like he was on fire, because he was on fire, that little Timmy's hot sauce was hot, hot, hot which was also a current hit of the times. He was back the next weekend with three hundred pounds of hot sauce wings, garlic wings, lemon wings and, his own favorite and invention, hazelnut flavor wings. Almost all of them turned out to be the public's favorites, too.

So there you have it. And we are still here on Plum Island churning out the wings and working on that multi-leg turkey. No luck so far, but we do have a bird with breasts as nice as Nicole Kidman's but the bosses keep yelling "We said 'Big breasts on a turkey, not big and perky" Sigh.
It's lonely work out here on Plum Island.

Joe
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:55 am
"Buffalo Wings" were invented in Buffalo, NY, about 40 years ago, but they've only become very popular in the past decade or so. Allegedly invented by the wife of a restaurant owner trying to whip up snacks for her college age son & his friends.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:57 am
There is no "rest of the chicken". Do you remember reading about those experiments where they grew a human ear on the back of a rat? They discovered that chicken wings were much easier to grow on a rat (and more profitable) than human ears. The real question should be, "What do they do with the rest of the rat?"
0 Replies

Smartsux

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:58 am
Jessica Simpson, Newlyweds- "I'm sorry, I don't eat buffalo."
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 11:00 am
Equus wrote:
There is no "rest of the chicken". Do you remember reading about those experiments where they grew a human ear on the back of a rat? They discovered that chicken wings were much easier to grow on a rat (and more profitable) than human ears. The real question should be, "What do they do with the rest of the rat?"

Missed the GOP convention did you?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 12:04 pm
when we came to canada 'a few years ago' , we could buy chicken wings necks and backs for NINE cents a pound. in those early years mrs h would often buy a few pounds and make a nice chicken soup. nowadays i don't mind the wings if the chicken (roasted) is still attached; but chicken wings - forget it ! we had a neighbourhood get-to-gether recently and one of the ladies brought a large platter of hot chicken wings; just about everyone raved about the wings - for me at was a nice barbequed chicken breast - has a little more meat and less skin and gristle. hbg
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 01:38 pm
Joe Nation, thanks for sharing my life with everyone. Did you perhaps read a copy of Newsweek, 1991, and discover the impetus for your contribution from the italicized bit....

The secretive approach has led to bizarre rumors in communities across the water in Long Island. One local story has it that eight-foot chickens have free run of Plum Island. Or Nazi scientists were taken there to develop Lyme disease, which they shot from a cannon across the sound to the woods of Connecticut. "My personal favorite is the one that we actually shot down a UFO and are holding the aliens for study," says Thomas Sawicki, the chief safety officer, who despite his sense of humor still refuses to allow visitors access to some areas of the lab. Some don't find the rumors so humorous. Mason and other scientists had to explain themselves in countless town meetings. "It's really beyond frustrating," says Mason with a sigh, burying his head in his hands. "We're working on what are really important problems. And we have newspapers and local representatives who look at us like we're doing something bad. Like we're a danger."

full article here
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 02:16 pm
Personally, I feel the chicken wing (not to mix species) is a red herring for a deeper mystery......the drumette....what the hell is that all about and why does my basket of wings always contain 50% wings and 50% "drumettes"?

And Gus, what can you tell me about the boneless chicken farm? They must be pretty easy to round up.....I've nevr seen a boneless chicken farm,it sounds like a great home based business opportunity for apartment dwellers....
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 02:31 pm
Quote:
Joe Nation, thanks for sharing my life with everyone. Did you perhaps read a copy of Newsweek, 1991, and discover the impetus for your contribution from the italicized bit....

No. All I know is what they tell us here on the island. They are rushing a vaccine to the GOP for the final weeks of the campaign so that George won't put his hoof in his mouth again till he's headed home to Texas. That one about 'not stopping of thinking up ways to harm us 'got everything going here.

Other than that it's pretty dull, you know, the usual, chasing the eight foot chickens off and shearing the wings off the little ones (they grow back).

We are always looking for new foods here, last week the motor on a fishing boat gave out just off shore, on it were two fellas, they cooked up pretty good but you could tell one of them smoked.

Well, see you around.

Joe
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 04:52 pm
THIS IS NOT A JOKE ! just about a month ago they showed 'featherless' chickens on (i believe) the science show. some genius scientist has apparently been able to manipulate the chicken genes to come up with that monstrosity; all , of course, in the name of science and profit . btw. two or three years ago i saw that some other genius had developed square tomatoes. the reason was so that less space would be wasted in packing. haven't heard of that invention lately. hbg
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 04:56 pm
The square tomatos were supposed to be sliced and put on the square hamburgers at Wendy's (USA).
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 04:59 pm
CHICKENS
managed to find the article about the 'featherless' chickens . hope it does not kill your appetite for chickenwings. hbg >>> FEATHERLESS CHICKENS
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:31 pm
Featherless chickens? Now what will they stuff pillows with?
0 Replies

Smartsux

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:33 pm
Penguin feathers!
0 Replies

hiyall

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:45 pm
Hey, I'm sure those multi-winged, featherless chickens are also engineered to be multi-livered. Y'ever see a platter of bacon-wrapped chicken livers at a reception (OK, might be a Southern thing)? We're talking LOTS of livers. (Shivers...I hate livers!) On the other hand, I don't think they give those chickens more than one gizzard. I mean, how many chicken gizzard platters do you see? Well, except at Gertrude's House of Gizzards down a back road from Gautier, MS.

As to where all the chicken lips and knees go...well don't ask next time you buy luncheon meat.
0 Replies