THE RIGHT WING'S NEW LOVER BOY.

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2016 12:27 pm
American conservatives, not all probably, but certainly a surprising number, are in love with Vladimir Putin. This is all the more astonishing given that, before he became history's most successful kleptocrat, he was a low-ranking KGB officer. Nonetheless, and probably because Obama was not only elected, but re-elected, they love the guy.

From The Washington Post, "Why U.S. conservatives love Russia’s Vladimir Putin."

From Washington Monthly, "Why Republicans Admire Putin"

From the Los Angeles Times, "Conservatives harbor an odd admiration for Vladimir Putin"

From The Atlantic, "Vladimir Putin: The 10th Most Admired Man in America"[

Really? A murderer by proxy, a liar and one of the world's greatest thieves? This is just too bizarre.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,201 • Replies: 23

Below viewing threshold (view)
Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2016 12:53 pm
Sure, George, whatever you say.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2016 12:55 pm
By the way, are you saying that there are no American conservatives who admire Putin? Donald Trump doesn't count?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2016 01:18 pm
Of course, i didn't say that all American conservatives are Putin admirers. From the National Review, "Trump Confesses Admiration for Strongman Who Offs Journalists, Fans Applaud."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2016 01:22 pm
It's not just here, either. The UKIP leader, Nigel Farage, thinks he's a great guy, too. The Telegraph in the UK, "Nigel Farage is a buffoon for admiring Vladimir Putin". For those unfamiliar with UK journals, The Telegraph is the conservative organ there. The British often refer to it as "The Torygraph."
Below viewing threshold (view)
snood

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2016 02:32 pm
@georgeob1,
This is what you said that Setanta had said...
Quote:
You however asserted that conservatives generally favor Putin

This is what he actually said:
Quote:
not all probably, but certainly a surprising number,

Which could be construed as "conservatives generally favor Putin", but in fairness, it isn't what he said, and calling it a" lie" was certainly uncalled for.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2016 03:08 pm
George has, in recent years, shown a decided hostility to me. He'll probably now say that i am projecting. But, as you point out, i have not said that all conservatives admire Putin, just a surprising number.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 02:42 pm
Does that mean Lash is a conservative again? Woops, I shouldent have said that. I have just opened myself to another bloodletting.
Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 01:56 am
@RABEL222,
Points for quickly figuring out what sparked this thread.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 05:56 am
@Setanta,
I admit Setanta, you do seem to have people who go around down thumbing anything you post. I suppose by now you just have learned to ignore it?

Sometimes I wonder why we all do this to ourselves day after day. Yet some of us have been coming here like it is a career and we put in time and a lot of work into our posts in between infighting like children.
parados

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 07:32 am
@georgeob1,
I suppose now you will argue that no TRUE conservative journal would contain such material.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/2013/12/17/putins-paleoconservative-moment/

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-rights-putin-problem/
Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 02:47 pm
@revelette2,
Most discussion boards of which i know allow posts to be voted up (something like "great response, great answer," whatever) but don't have a down-vote mechanism. It's really become nothing more than a tool to express malice.

But we all soldier on. You see stuff like this Putin crap, and you forget about the endemic pettiness here.
Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 02:48 pm
@parados,
Thanks, Boss. I really didn't feel like doing any leg work to convince George.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 02:51 pm
@parados,
You will forgive me Parados if I consider these two articles a crock of bull hocky. Putin would nuke Washington if he thought he could do so secretly.
parados

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 05:48 am
@RABEL222,
Of course he would. But that is why conservatives love him. He is the authoritarian they wish they could be.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 05:02 pm
@Setanta,
I've been thinking about searching out a new forum, but then, I am not sure I am up to the hassle of it. What other forums do you know of, if you don't mind me asking? It might be refreshing to go out under an entirely new name and in an unknown place where no one knows what I believe or anything else about me. Or it might not be so refreshing.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 06:02 pm
@revelette2,
Oh, great, and then we would lose you. I'm depressed enough.
revelette2

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 06:05 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Must be something in the air, I am depressed too. I probably won't, it is a little intimating breaking out a whole new forum. I looked around, but just didn't comment on anything. BTW, thanks, I appreciate your posts too.
0 Replies