What does PCW mean?

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 10:33 pm
Context:
trend vs TV commercials volume", "sales trend vs dispaly", "sales trend vs price", "sales trend vs PCW"

Appendix:
"Sales has been in declining trend after one year from discontinued advertising support. It managed to maintain the business for a while due to continuos good PCW and Display activity, despite of no advertising support since May 1998."

"Due to the spiky media support and PCW in summer and winter, sales fluctuates accordingly. Business grew instantly behind new flavor introduction initiatives, then declined.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,917 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Mister Micawber

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 03:38 pm
Sorry, Oristar, I simply cannot find an appropriate meaning for the acronym (if it is one). The likeliest one I googled is:

'PCW, Hong Kong's largest telecom operator'

but it doesn't fit into your phrases. I have failed miserably on this one....
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 11:59 pm
possibly stands for "Personal Communications Workshop", which i found through google, then dictionary.com
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 12:40 am
I was thinking maybe 'post consumer waste', but it doesn't really fit.

Do you have any other usages of the term oristar?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:57 am
Personal Care Work
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:54 am
Are you guys having a laugh? Shocked

PCW = Personal Computer Ware (as things manufactured for sale), I.e., Hardware, software etc.
0 Replies

Mister Micawber

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 03:14 pm
That is the most expected reading of PCW, Tryagain, but I can't fit it meaningfully into the context-- seems to be talking about advertising methods, doesn't it?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 03:55 pm
there are many acronyms for PCW but personal care work is the only one which fits perfectly in this context...in the future you can always look up acronyms at acronymfinder.com they list even the most obscure.
0 Replies

Mister Micawber

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:02 pm
Your logic evades me, Stu!

"Personal Care Worker, ASCO Code: 631413. Alternative Titles: Nursing Assistant,
Personal Care Assistant."

What is the nature of this business, Oristar?... or have you abandoned us?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 06:34 pm
a business that has poor advertising must rely on other means to keep regular business, ie, they need to keep the customers that they do get as regulars. this is done by having good customer service. I was taking personal care work to be synonymous with customer service
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:07 am
Hi all.

Thanks for replying. Very Happy

MM, if that needs so many time to figure out what it is, please just put it aside. Because it is a certain English learner's question, not mine.
0 Replies

Mister Micawber

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 01:24 am
OK, Stu and Oristar, I can live with that.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 05:11 am
Good points MM & Stu. My take on the topic was:

Sales v Adverts (number/cost).
Sales v Display (goods on show)
Sales v Price (discounts etc)
Sales v PCW (units made, ordered or stocked)

"It managed to maintain the business for a while due to continuous good PCW (manufacture/stock/supply)) and Display activity."

"Due to the spiky (up and down/hit and miss) media support and PCW (awareness) in summer and winter, sales fluctuates accordingly."

Sales usually tail off in the heat of summer when people are active, but pick up again as nights draw in and people are indoors.

I note what Oristar has said however, if we had read the article, I doubt we would have delved so deeply into its meaning, just turned the page and moved on. Much like life really.
0 Replies