Can you see who's NB?

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 04:48 pm
The wiki article itself seems to offer no clue.

Thanks in advance

From Wiki:
3.) "...a brief piece entitled 'Religion and Science,' first published in the New York Times Sunday Magazine for 9 November 1930...Einstein explains: ...The beginnings of cosmic religious feeling already appear at an early stage of development,... Buddhism, as we have learned especially from the wonderful writings of Schopenhauer, contains a much stronger element of this. (Einstein 1930, 38)" - The cosmos of science: essays of exploration, By John Earman, John D. Norton, Edition: reprint, illustrated Published by Univ of Pittsburgh Press, 1998, p.96
NB: "...Schopenhauer and his famously inadequate reading of the words of Gautama" (emphasis added); see McMahan, David L. The Making of Buddhist Modernism. OUP, 2008. p. 76. Jayarava (talk) 15:18, 1 June 2016 (UTC)

Link to the context
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 396 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 11:20 pm
@oristarA,
NB isn't a person but an abbreviation: nota bene (Latin, meaning "note well")
It's abbreviated as "N.B.", "N.b." or "n.b." in English.
(In many languages, nota bene is used not only in the abbreviated form but [colloquially] as interjection as well.)
oristarA

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 12:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Cool, Walter.

I wonder whether native English speakers see NB often. I saw it for the first time in a decade.
roger

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 12:56 am
@oristarA,
No, and I only found out today from Walter what it meant. Outside of a few occasions on websites such as this, I have never encountered it.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 12:30 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
I wonder whether native English speakers see NB often. I saw it for the first time in a decade.

Anyone who has read widely, especially among academic material, will have encountered this Latin abbreviation. In fact when I was at school aged about 9 we were taught the common ones. Dictionaries often contain lists of them.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 01:02 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Exactly. It's to be found in many scientific/academic resources.
And it's common in grammar books as well.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 01:02 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
A fortiori that one, ceteris paribus..
0 Replies