Tsarstepan's Wine Spot

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2021 11:52 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman? Do you have any notable vineyard regions in Pennsylvania like NY has the Fingerlakes?
farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2021 12:19 am
@tsarstepan,
not so notable but mot of the bigger ones are located near interstate hiway.(I think marketing Trumps Quality Control in PA).
e ddo have some brands like Flickerwood or Paradox that have won prizes. In Lancaster county we have over 30 commercial vineyards but Im no longer a vinophyle. Wedo cook Itlin or seafood using wines but thats about it.
In past years our monthly wine bill was embarrassingly high
glitterbag

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2021 03:34 am
@farmerman,
My daughter-in-laws Aunt brought us a bottle of wine from a Pennsylvania vineyard, I've forgotten the Brand but the wine was labeled '3 ships to the wind' .I remember I loved it, it was a nice red, but at that time they didn't have permission/license to ship wines to Maryland. Our liquor laws and our Liquor Board behave as if prohibition was still the law. This was 10 years ago and it's still difficult to buy from other sites and have it shipped.
farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2021 05:57 am
@glitterbag,
Pa and Md hve had a historically interesting love-hate relationship when it came to spirits ever since Reconstruction . We didnt allow yours in, you didnt allow ours. Our state police used to sit along roadsides on the Mason Dixon and catch Pa drivers carrying Md booze (Md had a better selection and better price point than Pa). Thats all changed and the states now, even share on the enforcement.(We dont use state cops for booze guards anymore)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2021 10:06 am
When the New York contingent was in full blossom, we used to drink an Australian wine (Yellow Tail) a lot. Bernie (or Lola) recommended it...and we all loved it. Nancy and I still occasionally use it as a table wine.

https://img.alicdn.com/i1/268488529/O1CN01VO7MG42CsKdT3pTMq_!!268488529.jpg

We also drink (and have a decent collection of) Marilyn Merlot wines...some of which command decent prices. (Over $500 per bottle.)

http://www.ptwineseller.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/marilyn-collection.jpg

Last time Jonathan (Joe Nation), Kicky (Kicky Kann), and I met on The Pan, we had a pitcher of truly great white wine sangria...at the inflated price The Pan charges. ($75) It was worth it.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/d9mYNYOGyp-fNtuZWz4z57BLiSo=/1400x1400/filters:format(jpeg)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/16341793/_97A1113_copy.jpg
farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2021 12:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Chateau Neui sans Wuga Wuga. (Python ha a name for Aussie wines)
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2021 01:10 pm
This is a story about the Hudson Valley vineyard where I worked every summer when I was in high school, and from which I derived my screen moniker:

He Gave Up Writing for Winery on High Tor
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2021 02:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I like some of the Yellowtail wines, I'm not a big fan of Chardonnay but I like their red's. Barefoot wines are also very nice and inexpensive. I normally don't like sweet wines, but I buy their white Moscato....it's refreshing. Sometimes I mix either the Pino Grigio or the Moscato with Sprite Zero over ice. It makes a pleasant summertime drink that doesn't sneak up on you. (I use diet sprite or 7 Up because it's tastes cleaner to me...the high test version with all the sugar is too cloying ... but that's just me)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2021 02:11 pm
I don’t know if it is labelled as such or even if it is sold over there, but over here there is a big difference between English and British wine.

English wine is quite good, made English vineyards from the South Coast.

British wine is quite bad, made in industrial units with imported grape concentrate.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2021 08:44 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

My daughter-in-laws Aunt brought us a bottle of wine from a Pennsylvania vineyard, I've forgotten the Brand but the wine was labeled '3 ships to the wind' .I remember I loved it, it was a nice red

I wonder if this is the Three Ships to the Wind from Adams County Winery in which you have partaken?
https://imgur.com/AGGOWTl.jpg
glitterbag

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2021 11:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
I think that's it. I'll have to call the winery again, maybe they will ship it now. I hope it was actually good to drink, and not just my twisted love of the name.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 12:06 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Okay. SO there are a lot more Fingerlakes wines out there being sold in NYC. None from any vineyard I immediately recognize.
~~
Bought a Malbec/Syrah from Australia today.
https://imgur.com/HoMR4g1.jpg
Tart and drier than I would prefer. AT the lower end of drinkable. Will never buy again. I will finish the bottle but not in one sitting.

Says Argentina on the bottle!
farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 10:52 am
@margo,
Can I get a "Drop Bear" Sauvignon Blanc?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2021 06:35 pm
@margo,
margo wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

Okay. SO there are a lot more Fingerlakes wines out there being sold in NYC. None from any vineyard I immediately recognize.
~~
Bought a Malbec/Syrah from Australia today.
https://imgur.com/HoMR4g1.jpg
Tart and drier than I would prefer. AT the lower end of drinkable. Will never buy again. I will finish the bottle but not in one sitting.

Says Argentina on the bottle!

Maybe that's why it wasn't as pleasantly drinkable as I expected it to be. Australians do indeed make a lovely syrah.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2021 01:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2021 02:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
No joke, but oreos do go well with a Sauterne or Barsac or a five putano Tokai.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2021 07:56 am
Dry, fruity, woody, drinkable, …

anybody here admit they drink mostly for the effect ?

“Wine makes the heart merry.”
- Solomon, King of Israel

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2021 10:15 am
Franzia's 2021 box wine Halloween costume dispenses real wine.
https://imgur.com/FGhhzvE.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2021 06:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2022 03:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
Sacrebleu!
There's a new item on the menu at many French wine bars: non-alcoholic wine